what's the point of HDMI? and monitor vs TV-differences?

drcrappants

Weaksauce
for monitors what good is HDMI? is it just purely convenience when connecting PC to monitor, or is it better/cost less than DVI/etc/something?

and whats the difference between a monitor and a TV? they seem to be the same now, yet monitors still cost a lot more. cant i use my tv as a monitor, and my monitor as a tv?

I was thinking the same.... i think tv are better, using and xbox,ps3 or blu ray. But monitors are better with pc.I have a samsung 23" p2370hd, a debranded w2408h hp 24" and lg 42" 42LG60. When connected to Lg games and blu ray movies looks very good, the picture in the monitors isnt as good. i also tried some movies in my hdtv via hdmi to dvi and even 720p videos looks good. maybe the pc monitors are sharper and this make games and other thinks bad ( i tried reducing the sharpness with no results). About view distance ive tried all for 3 of them, too close, distance recommended by users, forums, webs... with no big difference. someone could tell the difference? maybe tv process the image making it better for consoles and blu rays?

Hdmi let's you hook consoles and receivers etc to a monitor. The cables are also cheaper and smaller. There are big differences between a tv and a monitor. The tv is more optimized for moving animations. You won't notice fuzziness. Monitors will have crisper text and pics....

Where I live the difference between a TV and monitor is that a TV has a built-in tuner. Its all down to import tariffs I think.

As I understand it the panels used in TVs generally aren't as good as those used in monitors.

Hdmi let's you hook consoles and receivers etc to a monitor. The cables are also cheaper and smaller. There are big differences between a tv and a monitor. The tv is more optimized for moving animations. You won't notice fuzziness. Monitors will have crisper text and pics....
so thats the only difference, just to be able to hook it to a PS3 and such? could i use a dual display (TV and monitor) by hooking up my pc to monitor via hdmi and connecting my monitor to PC using another HDMI?

also, does it warrant the higher monitor price to get one with hdmi capability

It's just a digital port that combines video and audio signals.

Get a monitor that has it if you're planning to be using it. It makes sense if the monitor has speakers or audio out, then you can connect a PS3. If you wanna do that in the first place.

If you're just gonna connect it to your PC, then HDMI won't offer you anything over DVI.

hmm i dont understand why monitors that have HDMI cost so much extra when all its good for over DVI is 1 less cable and ps3 capability.

would there be a significant difference between a 720p 40" TV hdmi connected to ps3 or 1080p 24" monitor with hdmi connection? i have the former and wonder if the picture quality will be any different.

drcrappants depends on the distance from the display:
resolution_chart.jpg

also tvs render the input picture, which brings better picture and also adds lag, monitors take the picture and display it the way it is. Monitors looks sharper for Pc games,but ps3, xbox and blu ray looks pixelated no matter at what distance do you look at it (monitors have more dpi)

Back