What's the oldest videogame you still play?

The oldest game I still play regularly, as in at least once every month or two, is probably Civilization III. I mean I'll crank up Metal Gear or something on my NES once in a while, but Civ III is probably the oldest game I play regularly. I just love that game.

Ultimate Doom, Doom 2, and the original Quake are the oldest I play, and they are always installed. Although, I do play them with modern engines like GZDoom (D1/D2) and Darkplaces (Q1).

I don't think I have any titles that quality for your specific requirements. CS:S is probably it.

Other than that, the games that don't meet the requirements are: Fallout 1/2 maybe once every year and change or so. SNES emulator to beat all the classics. And that's about it.

PS.: And even if it did make sense, doing that /thread thing is obnoxious and it literally means you're taking a giant shit on everyone else's opinion. So please don't do it.

* Here's two bucks in quarters.

Now go and review Galaga....

Leisure Suit Larry III: Passionate Patti in Pursuit of the Pulsating Pectorals :cool:

Ultimate DOOM is the oldest game I have that is on my "always installed" list and I go back to with regularity. I like GZDoom, but I've gone to Chocolate DOOM in the past year since I like playing the game as close to the original experience as possible.

I still play several of the older Street Fighter games regularly. I have the whole series via Final Burn, so I play them all here and there when I need to kill 5-10 minutes.
Outside of emulators (which I only play on occasion) I think the oldest game I have installed via Steam or on any console is the first Dark Souls.

probably world of warcraft, I do on occasion play some older games again, but not remotely often enough to be considered for this topic.

I did play trough some of the quake series again, 1-2 and 4 the ones with a solo campaign, like every other couple of years, just can't seem to get quake 1 to run on anything else then default settings (steam version - software or glquake)

Quake III, it's the only one that matters to me anymore. Not quite as fast and twitchy as I used to be but I can damned sure still hold my own.

But then again, Quake isn't a game - Quake is survival. :D

Red Baron

Test Drive (the original one)

Frogger

Space Invaders

Lemmings

Magic Carpet

Mega Race

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a brand-new MegaRace Solid Gold Enforcement Officer! How about that? Tough guy, you did it! Thanks to you, criminals everywhere are turning to each other and saying, "I want my mommy." Enforcer, let's check out your fabulous prize! You have won:... A watch. Now if anybody asks you the time, you'll be able to answer. How 'bout that? Believe me, Enforcer, you'll enjoy that prize. I did and I should know. How about that ladies and gentlemen? Like I always say, "It only shows to go." You've been watching one of the very top MegaRaces in history, and that's going backwards in time! Hey, I'm Lance Boyle, and it doesn't hurt a bit! [snaps fingers]

Holy shit... someone else has heard of mega race?

I know it has this weird-looking motherfucker:

lance_boyle5.png

Mega race was the shit back then. I used to love that game... but it's age got to it.

Deus Ex

Still one of my top 5 all time favorites. Been playing with the Revision mod.

Reactions: M76
like this
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - on Vita
Epidemic - on PC through emulation

I still play Counter Strike and have since pre Alpha, I know CS:GO is not old but the series is.
For actual old games that i still play, i always have a current game of Pokemon Red (not Fire Red) in my GameBoy Classic!

PC:
UT99 with the updated D3D renderers.
Darklands on DOSBOX
Magic the Gathering: Shandalar (Win3.1/95 era)

SNES:
F-Zero
FF2(4)
FF3(6)
Chronotrigger
Uncharted Waters: New Horizons

The original DOD. This has been a staple of our LAN parties for 16 years. I even like to load up the original beta versions from time to time.

That unofficial Star Trek DOS game they used to sell on the down-low at conventions back in the early 90s. It's glorified minesweeper with a Trek skin and some cued text prompts.

Fallout 4

I play SNES games quite regularly but I can't say "at least once every few months since release". F-Zero (which I do play every few months now) came out in 1990 and that would require some serious dedication to play every few months for 26 years. Who has that kind of consist free-time throughout their life?

Eye of the Beholder series, but only about once a year. I wish that series would get the same remaster that they did with Secret of Monkey Island, no new engine or anything just a graphics update, voice overs etc. It is on GoG (Forgotten Realms: Archive Volume One) for $9.99.

The oldest game I play on a regular basis is officially Rainbow Six Lockdown. Bought it just yesterday during the Gamersgate Tom Clancy sale for $2.50. Surprisingly enjoyable to play and gave me some of that old school Rainbow Six feel which I really enjoyed. The team AI seems to be really really stupid, but the gameplay is fun and runs great.

Oldest game I still play? Well, by your definition, none. I have such a backlog of games that I don't replay games. That's not to say I don't lay old games. About half the games I'm currently playing were made before 1990. But they're first runs.

Grand Prix Legends...bought it at Best buy first day it was available...I use it , with a lot of the best mods for it , to demonstrate where racing games got the first big 3D push. Grand Prix Legends on my 21" Trinitron in 3dfx Glide was the cats pajamas at the time

Asseto Corsa has the Lotus and the old Monza track if you want a taste of what a modern GPL would probably be like. I bought GPL when it first came out too.

Holy shit... someone else has heard of mega race?

Yea tons of people got this game with their computers back in the day, i remember getting a software package that had this, some sort of 3d human body software and some other learning software.

I have Brutal Doom 1 and 2 installed that I give it a whirl sometimes when I'm pissed off.

Play the occasional Age of Empires as well.

Since there isn't much Diablo 2 love (or people have much older titles to choose from) I will say D2. I still go back to it every now and again to experiment with different character builds (using the Players 8 toggle to increase leveling speed). One of the problems I have with pre 2000 titles is that I didn't always keep my discs or had some on floppies (which makes them impossible to install until they release digital versions). I have also gone back to Doom and Quake a few times but I like my shooters with more modern graphics so I don't spend much time in them.

SWAT 4 would probably be my closest. I definitely don't play it every day, but I have played it pretty regularly since it came out.

Probably Tie Fighter is the oldest that I'll fire up regularly (albeit once a year or so).
OIder games are also played when the wife feels that it's time to hook up her NES to the TV again for a few hours of retro fun.

Ofcourse you buggers had to remind me of Mega Race and that flying carpet game didn't you? I also want to play P.O.D now for some reason too.

At the end of my twenties I missed the NES era, so games that I always go back to are a variety of fighting games, for the most Super Street Fighter II Turbo and Virtua Fighter 2. Fighting games do not necessarily get better with new versions but maybe to the majority of users on the forum, this genre isn't old enough for the discussion?

Back