What's the oldest videogame you still play?

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by M76, Jul 22, 2016.

1. Hellstoaster

Hellstoaster Limp Gawd

The oldest game I still play regularly, as in at least once every month or two, is probably Civilization III. I mean I'll crank up Metal Gear or something on my NES once in a while, but Civ III is probably the oldest game I play regularly. I just love that game.

2. BlueWeasel

BlueWeasel Limp Gawd

Ultimate Doom, Doom 2, and the original Quake are the oldest I play, and they are always installed. Although, I do play them with modern engines like GZDoom (D1/D2) and Darkplaces (Q1).

Armenius likes this.
  3. UnknownSouljer

UnknownSouljer [H]ardness Supreme

I don't think I have any titles that quality for your specific requirements. CS:S is probably it.

Other than that, the games that don't meet the requirements are: Fallout 1/2 maybe once every year and change or so. SNES emulator to beat all the classics. And that's about it.

4. D4rkn3ss

D4rkn3ss 2[H]4U

ps1 games on emulators!

5. horrorshow

horrorshow [H]ardness Supreme

* Here's two bucks in quarters.

Now go and review Galaga....

6. mw8t

mw8t Limp Gawd

Leisure Suit Larry III: Passionate Patti in Pursuit of the Pulsating Pectorals :cool:

7. John721

John721 [H]ard|Gawd

Master of Magic.

pothb likes this.
  8. Armenius

Armenius I Drive Myself to the [H]ospital

Ultimate DOOM is the oldest game I have that is on my "always installed" list and I go back to with regularity. I like GZDoom, but I've gone to Chocolate DOOM in the past year since I like playing the game as close to the original experience as possible.

9. Domingo

Domingo [H]ard as it Gets

I still play several of the older Street Fighter games regularly. I have the whole series via Final Burn, so I play them all here and there when I need to kill 5-10 minutes.
    Outside of emulators (which I only play on occasion) I think the oldest game I have installed via Steam or on any console is the first Dark Souls.

10. Denpepe

Denpepe [H]ard|Gawd

probably world of warcraft, I do on occasion play some older games again, but not remotely often enough to be considered for this topic.

I did play trough some of the quake series again, 1-2 and 4 the ones with a solo campaign, like every other couple of years, just can't seem to get quake 1 to run on anything else then default settings (steam version - software or glquake)

11. Parrothead

Parrothead Limp Gawd

Final Fantasy - the NES version.

Armenius likes this.
  12. Bigbacon

Bigbacon [H]ardForum Junkie

D&D on the intellivision

after that berzerk on the 5200

13. Tiberian

Tiberian DILLIGAFuck

Quake III, it's the only one that matters to me anymore. Not quite as fast and twitchy as I used to be but I can damned sure still hold my own.

But then again, Quake isn't a game - Quake is survival. :D

14. Hulk

Hulk [H]ardness Supreme

Red Baron

Test Drive (the original one)

Frogger

Space Invaders

Lemmings

Magic Carpet

Mega Race

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a brand-new MegaRace Solid Gold Enforcement Officer! How about that? Tough guy, you did it! Thanks to you, criminals everywhere are turning to each other and saying, "I want my mommy." Enforcer, let's check out your fabulous prize! You have won:... A watch. Now if anybody asks you the time, you'll be able to answer. How 'bout that? Believe me, Enforcer, you'll enjoy that prize. I did and I should know. How about that ladies and gentlemen? Like I always say, "It only shows to go." You've been watching one of the very top MegaRaces in history, and that's going backwards in time! Hey, I'm Lance Boyle, and it doesn't hurt a bit! [snaps fingers]

Armenius likes this.
  15. pothb

pothb [H]ardness Supreme

Holy shit... someone else has heard of mega race?

16. HeavensCloud

HeavensCloud Oswego, not shitty as Buffalo

I played the shit out of that on my grandpa's Packard Bell PC. I think it came with the PC as a promotion with a few 3D maze learning games.

Armenius likes this.
  17. MavericK

MavericK Zero Cool

I know it has this weird-looking motherfucker:

[​IMG]

scojer and Armenius like this.
  18. pothb

pothb [H]ardness Supreme

Mega race was the shit back then. I used to love that game... but it's age got to it.

Armenius likes this.
  19. Commander Shepard

Commander Shepard 2[H]4U

Deus Ex

Still one of my top 5 all time favorites. Been playing with the Revision mod.

M76 likes this.
  20. CrimsonKnight13

CrimsonKnight13 Lord Stabington of [H]ard|Fortress

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - on Vita
    Epidemic - on PC through emulation

21. AA_James

AA_James n00b

I still play Counter Strike and have since pre Alpha, I know CS:GO is not old but the series is.
    For actual old games that i still play, i always have a current game of Pokemon Red (not Fire Red) in my GameBoy Classic!

22. Ultima99

Ultima99 [H]ardness Supreme

PC:
    UT99 with the updated D3D renderers.
    Darklands on DOSBOX
    Magic the Gathering: Shandalar (Win3.1/95 era)

SNES:
    F-Zero
    FF2(4)
    FF3(6)
    Chronotrigger
    Uncharted Waters: New Horizons

23. MrC4

MrC4 [H]ard|Gawd

The original DOD. This has been a staple of our LAN parties for 16 years. I even like to load up the original beta versions from time to time.

24. RagingSamster

RagingSamster 2[H]4U

UT 99, WoW, and the occasional Grim Fandango

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  25. harmattan

harmattan [H]ardness Supreme

That unofficial Star Trek DOS game they used to sell on the down-low at conventions back in the early 90s. It's glorified minesweeper with a Trek skin and some cued text prompts.

26. Quix

Quix 2[H]4U

Fallout 4

I play SNES games quite regularly but I can't say "at least once every few months since release". F-Zero (which I do play every few months now) came out in 1990 and that would require some serious dedication to play every few months for 26 years. Who has that kind of consist free-time throughout their life?

27. termite

termite [H]ardness Supreme

Eye of the Beholder series, but only about once a year. I wish that series would get the same remaster that they did with Secret of Monkey Island, no new engine or anything just a graphics update, voice overs etc. It is on GoG (Forgotten Realms: Archive Volume One) for $9.99.

28. Hitman928

Hitman928 n00b

29. ochadd

ochadd Gawd

Mass Effect 3 & Star Wars Galaxies. I still log into SWG EMU occasionally and grind or craft a bit.

Dan and Parrothead like this.
  30. zamardii12

zamardii12 2[H]4U

The oldest game I play on a regular basis is officially Rainbow Six Lockdown. Bought it just yesterday during the Gamersgate Tom Clancy sale for $2.50. Surprisingly enjoyable to play and gave me some of that old school Rainbow Six feel which I really enjoyed. The team AI seems to be really really stupid, but the gameplay is fun and runs great.

31. Nytegard

Nytegard 2[H]4U

Oldest game I still play? Well, by your definition, none. I have such a backlog of games that I don't replay games. That's not to say I don't lay old games. About half the games I'm currently playing were made before 1990. But they're first runs.

32. bpizzle1

bpizzle1 2[H]4U

WoW for me. Pretty hard to believe that it's 12 years old now.

33. rezerekted

rezerekted 2[H]4U

Asseto Corsa has the Lotus and the old Monza track if you want a taste of what a modern GPL would probably be like. I bought GPL when it first came out too.

Killahurtz likes this.
  34. ssnyder28

ssnyder28 2[H]4U

Yea tons of people got this game with their computers back in the day, i remember getting a software package that had this, some sort of 3d human body software and some other learning software.

Armenius likes this.
  35. Matthew Kane

Matthew Kane [H]ardness Supreme

I have Brutal Doom 1 and 2 installed that I give it a whirl sometimes when I'm pissed off.

Play the occasional Age of Empires as well.

36. Armenius

Armenius I Drive Myself to the [H]ospital

It's against the rules, too.

The [H]ard|FORUM Rules
    (22) No active links, graphics, code, profanity or advertising allowed in the SIGNATURE. Signature is limited to 10 lines total at no more than 90 characters per line.

37. kbrickley

kbrickley [H]ardness Supreme

Since there isn't much Diablo 2 love (or people have much older titles to choose from) I will say D2. I still go back to it every now and again to experiment with different character builds (using the Players 8 toggle to increase leveling speed). One of the problems I have with pre 2000 titles is that I didn't always keep my discs or had some on floppies (which makes them impossible to install until they release digital versions). I have also gone back to Doom and Quake a few times but I like my shooters with more modern graphics so I don't spend much time in them.

38. Viper87227

Viper87227 [H]ard as it Gets

SWAT 4 would probably be my closest. I definitely don't play it every day, but I have played it pretty regularly since it came out.

39. ryuen

ryuen Limp Gawd

Probably Tie Fighter is the oldest that I'll fire up regularly (albeit once a year or so).
    OIder games are also played when the wife feels that it's time to hook up her NES to the TV again for a few hours of retro fun.

Ofcourse you buggers had to remind me of Mega Race and that flying carpet game didn't you? I also want to play P.O.D now for some reason too.

40. Isti-Pisti

Isti-Pisti n00b

At the end of my twenties I missed the NES era, so games that I always go back to are a variety of fighting games, for the most Super Street Fighter II Turbo and Virtua Fighter 2. Fighting games do not necessarily get better with new versions but maybe to the majority of users on the forum, this genre isn't old enough for the discussion?