What's the oldest game you keep going back to play?

Probably Xcom...the latest sequel is so good I may just stop playing the old one tbh.

I dont go back and play games, no time for that. Only new'ish titles that are current.

Counter Strike for me since that is a game I would pick up and play from time to time.

Morrowind: I have it pretty heavily modded (pre-Morrowind 2011 stuff, so no fancy shader stuff) and completely packaged up. Runs from a USB drive. I take it everywhere. Runs on almost anything since most machines are well up to the task these days. My own little portable universe. Probably 2000hrs of gameplay to date.

Homeworld 1 / Homeworld Cataclysm: God the audio quality is awful but I love it so.

Just Cause 2: Still fun every time I fire it up.

Xenogears and Vagrant Story are good times too.

Descent and Descent 2 played in stereo 3D on my 3D Vision projector. Jaw-dropping and especially vertigo-inducing.

Descent and Descent 2 played in stereo 3D on my 3D Vision projector. Jaw-dropping and especially vertigo-inducing.

Mother of god, I think you found a way to make a puke engine :eek:

Sounds. Freaking. Awesome. Loved Descent so much!

I play a game of Masters of Orion 2 every now and then, same with Transport Tycoon, but that gets an asterix as it's OTTD.

I've got a box my storage room full of various 486 parts including a bunch of salvaged sound and video cards. Keep meaning to find a weekend to put something together to play Pinball Fantasies (my vote for best game music ever). I've tried emulating it, but the sound and timing get butchered. I little concerned I've completely forgot how to get all the drivers loaded into upper memory so I can have sound card and joystick working at the same time.

Last time I was home I did fire up the TRS-80 model 3 and play about 5 minutes of Santa Paravia en Fiumaccio (1978) after finding the 'password edmonton' disk. Which is a 5 1/4 floppy with the password 'edmonton' full of games inlcluding Zork, some Moon landing game, the Decathlon game that lead to the slow demise of the keys used for running and Santa Paravia en Fiumaccio.

Apparently you can play it online: http://www.santaparavia.com/Home.aspx

Be advised... you and all your subjects will starve. Just a matter of how long you hold out.

I know this is not a old game by any means, but being 27 I look back on older games as more like great memories than experiences I need to relive over and over b/c games back in the day were way more linear and nothing can change. There is just something about open sandbox games that really appeal to my sense of independence and need for freedom in games. More games should let you decide how to tackle a situation. That's why i'm really looking forward to Metal Gear Solid 5. Deciding tactics and load-outs depending on location and time of day, and deciding direction of attack and infiltration are something all actions games should have. Crysis in my opinion jumped PC gaming forward by at least a half decade because they actually went through the trouble of creating a game that would still be relevant graphically over 6 years later (next month will be 6 years since Crysis released). Compared to other games that released that year... let alone the same month like COD 4: Modern Warfare... I mean, it looks okay but everybody who was building PCs back in 2007 could play COD 4 with no problems. Only 2 years ago was I finally able to play Crysis with all eye candy on with AA and full res on a single graphics card when upgrading to my HD6970.

1743722-crysis_box_art.jpg

Sandbox games were some of the earliest ever created. The Ultimas, later Wizardry games, Betrayal at Krondor, Fallout, Arena, Daggerfall, Baldur's Gate1-2, Might and Magic, Wasteland, Zelda and so on.

The Legend Of Zelda: A Link To The Past, Super Mario World, and Super Mario RPG

I grew up in the days of the Atari 2600, Commodore 64, Sega Master System, and the as a teenager the NES.... but somehow they just seem too primitive to me today. I like some eye candy and the 16 bit era seems to provide the most graphics rich experience.

Morrowind: I have it pretty heavily modded (pre-Morrowind 2011 stuff, so no fancy shader stuff) and completely packaged up. Runs from a USB drive. I take it everywhere. Runs on almost anything since most machines are well up to the task these days. My own little portable universe. Probably 2000hrs of gameplay to date.

That's brilliant!

How would I go about doing this? (pm me)

Subspace//Continuum
Mario 64
Contra
WoW//Everquest
Giants: Citizen Kabuto
Team Fortress 2

HOMM2/3
WoW
CS:S
DOD:S
Red Alert 2

and i'm getting that yearly itch to play Diablo 2 again.

Team Fortress 2. When I used to get friends over on "game days" we'd play SWAT 3 or 4. I'd probably play Motocross Madness 1 or 2 if they'd run; I just don't feel like going through the trouble.

The original Fallout games, both one and 2

Same, although I haven't played them in about a year and change.

Most other stuff that is old that I still play relates to the SNES.

FF IV
FF V
FF VI
Secret of Mana
TLOZ: Link to the Past

As you can see, I primarily play retro RPG's. I still believe that the original Fallout 1-2 are the best RPG's ever made on any platform. A bold statement I realize, but I've played a lot of them. Looking forward to Wasteland 2.

Crusader: No Remorse
Crusader: No Regret

I built a Windows 98 SE system that runs both of those games, and others, just fine.

Planescape Torment - One of the best damn narrative from an RPG, period.
Xenogears - same as above, but from disc 2, it kinda got rushed.

UFO: Enemy Unknown - 'nuff said
Terror from the Deep - same

Independence war 2: edge of chaos - one of the best space sims, (playing this while waiting for star citizen)

As you can see, I primarily play retro RPG's. I still believe that the original Fallout 1-2 are the best RPG's ever made on any platform. A bold statement I realize, but I've played a lot of them. Looking forward to Wasteland 2.

Abso-fucking-lutely to everything here. I've yet to be as immersed or addicted to any game since then. It may be because of how I ended up with the games (I actually bought Fallout 2 first at a Gamestop waaaaaaay back. Then bought Fallout) but those long days as a kid when you have absolutely nothing to worry about on weekends or after school, I would just plop myself infront of my computer and lose myself in those two. LOVE IT

Toejam and Earl

I should go back and play Kings Quest (any really). Or Quest for Glory. or Space Quest. Or Freddie Pharkas...

Counter Strike and the best Call of Duty made, Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare

Honestly, I haven't gone to play old games or games much at all lately (I think Mass Effect was the most recent one, played 1 and 2 again before 3 came out).

But if I had to point to a game that I used to go back to time and time again, well... it has to be between Counter-Strike & Action Quake 2. For AQ2 in particular, it was hella fun jumping in vest+ akimbo or bandolier+knives

Back