Whats the next big First Person Shooter??

Rustedimpala

Limp Gawd
Ok Ive worn out Far Cry, Ive played all the quakes, Ive Doomed it until I cant Doom anymore. I just finished Half Life 2 which was killer!!! Whats next??? Ive gone back to some old favorites, but I need something new.

I saw a commercial for some WW2 game that supposed to be good. I dont knwo the name off the top of my head. I've personally been playing Republic Commando and i like it alot.

I'm waiting for STALKER and FEAR.

Both look like rad games. To bad i have to upgrade my system to play them :(

Well, Pariah will be out soon. Got Battlefield 2 and Fear coming soon. Then, later this year, Stalker, and Quake IV which has no definate date. RTCW2 was mentioned a while ago to be using the Doom 3 engine, but no one's really heard anything.

Rustedimpala said:
Ok Ive worn out Far Cry, Ive played all the quakes, Ive Doomed it until I cant Doom anymore. I just finished Half Life 2 which was killer!!! Whats next??? Ive gone back to some old favorites, but I need something new.

Have you tried the Painkiller series? AWESOME!

STALKER and FEAR are what Im waiting for...I just got Riddick in the mail from GoGamer to hopefully tide me over for a bit.

Have you tried the Painkiller series? AWESOME!

No I havent played those. I'll look into Painkiller.

.I just got Riddick in the mail from GoGamer to hopefully tide me over for a bit

Riddick was awesome. I finished it in like 3 days though. I will definetly replay it though.

All Ive seen is ads for Pariah. Is there a demo out yet?

I'll put money on Stalker being FPS of the year.
Its the only one I've seen on the way doing something innovative
and not just full of eye candy and shock value.
FEAR has not caught my interest yet...

BF2 will be nice for the military realism niche...

Considering they were able to delay Stalker by more than 1/2 year just
to distance itself with Halo 2 & HL2 says a lot in their product confidence.
Hope its A64 enhanced like the rumors have hinted...

Rustedimpala said:
No I havent played those. I'll look into Painkiller.

Riddick was awesome. I finished it in like 3 days though. I will definetly replay it though.

All Ive seen is ads for Pariah. Is there a demo out yet?

If you like FPS's you should love it.
No crouch, walk, special buttons. Just a good ole "Kill anything that moves" shooter with some awesome graphics.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R I have a bad feeling of being overhyped to death. I hope I am wrong. Anyway it should at least be decent.

I have more hope in F.E.A.R and Bioshock really. And Pariah even if it has been postponed lately I always like what digital extremes come up with including Unreal 2 :). That game got to much shit really than it deserved.

Other than that not much. Boiling point can become incredibly good but also fail totally. High ambitions though even higher then S.T.A.L.K.E.R ambitions :D

oqvist said:
S.T.A.L.K.E.R I have a bad feeling of being overhyped to death. I hope I am wrong. Anyway it should at least be decent.

Overhyping isn't the fault of game companies. At least, not usually. A series of Q&As and the occasional screenshot doesn't constitute overhyping.

I havent played UT in a while. I just want something new. Paraih (spelling?) sounds cool. I love blowing stuff up and just plain old shoot em up games. :D

Stalker has been postponed too. It doesnt say for how long though. Maybe thats a good sign? We dont need another game released before its done with 10 million bugs in it.

This is from their website:
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl will not hit its previously planned May release date. According to GSC's Oleg Yavorksy, GSC stated, "We're happy THQ has afforded us more time to work on this. S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl is a huge, genre-defining game and we're going to make sure we release the game when it's reached our own very high standards, and those expected by our fans, and not before."
http://www.stalker-game.com/index_eng.html

NickTheNut said:

fuck yea. and also, although not a FPS, its still a shooter - Splinter Cell Chaos Theory - out this month

My LAN / Gamer group is somewhat patiently awaiting STALKER and Battlefield: 2. I didn't hear much talk of anything else at our 40 LAN last weekend.

I wouldn't reccomend BiA. The game is really kind of stupid. It's definitely NOWHERE near as good as the reviews are making it out to be. Probably a 6.5-7/10, at best. Your character can't hit the broad side of a barn and often you CAN'T kill some German hiding behind cover despite the fact that you can see his head or something. As for the game requiring tactics, it really doesn't. I feel like I'm using the same strategy over and over again.

It's like the game uses artifical means (gun inaccuracy + the inability to kill some Germans without flanking) to encourage the use of strategy and tactics, but ends up failing miserably.

I haven't tried MP, but I'm sure it blows based on the SP.

I don't think I'm ever going to trust reviews again. I think what we've seen is reviewers are too afraid to be labeled as being wrong by the masses, so they give whatever rating the hype machine deems is appropriate to it. Just look at Doom 3, HL2, Halo, and now BiA.

CoD is still the best WWII FPS, and one of the best FPSs available. DoD is probably the second best WWII FPS. I thought the MOH series was awful, so your mileage may vary. BF1942 is third.

Stalker looks cool, from looking at the website. It looks like a must have.

The Doom 3 expansion pack is supposed to ship on April 4, but I dont expect anything really new from that. I read a review that says you get the Doom version of a gravity gun. But thats only thing that sounds different. Just more dark hallways I guess.

Pariah or FEAR in the near future.

Doom 3 expansion will be my next game, followed by BF2, and then probably Quake 4. Somewhere in there, Ubi is talking about a Far Cry expansion, so I'll probably give that a spin as well.

Doom 3 expansion will be my next game, followed by BF2, and then probably Quake 4. Somewhere in there, Ubi is talking about a Far Cry expansion, so I'll probably give that a spin as well.

Isnt Quake 4 gonna be an all new engine?? Didnt I hear that somewhere?

Rustedimpala said:

Actually Q4 will use the D3 engine, albiet tweaked for more players and such
that Carmak can improve upon without actually starting on a new engine.

kuyaglen said:
Actually Q4 will use the D3 engine, albiet tweaked for more players and such
that Carmak can improve upon without actually starting on a new engine.

Ahh... that doesnt sound all that bad. I'll buy it.

Rustedimpala said:

You are probably thinking of Unreal3, which will have an all new (and from the looks of it, amazing) engine.

STALKER is looking to be a really innovative FPS from the stuff you can watch on their site

www.stalker-game.com

Terpfen said:
Overhyping isn't the fault of game companies. At least, not usually. A series of Q&As and the occasional screenshot doesn't constitute overhyping.

For real...this game is still so under the radar. The official site releases like one new screenshot a month. Almost Zero coverage in print beyond a single page...
I've seen more hype for FEAR so far than anything...

Damn, just saw STALKER is delayed again beyond May... :(

It kinda sucks having a super duper vid card /cpu etc and having to wait for new FPS games to come out. A strange situation too.

well, by the time STALKER comes out we will be seeing the first glimpses of the new line of cards, so you wont be top of the line :p

i doubt it would be as good, not because of Xbox2 (looks to be a good console) but just because it would have to be ported over to it. porting usually fuxx0rz a game (halo comes to mind, doom3 on the box looks like shit too)

NickTheNut said:

Wasnt STALKER *supposed* to come out late 2004/early 2005 or am i mistaken?

quiksilverx181 said:
Wasnt STALKER *supposed* to come out late 2004/early 2005 or am i mistaken?
It was supposed to come out in late 2004.

kick@ss said:
I wouldn't reccomend BiA. The game is really kind of stupid. It's definitely NOWHERE near as good as the reviews are making it out to be. Probably a 6.5-7/10, at best. Your character can't hit the broad side of a barn and often you CAN'T kill some German hiding behind cover despite the fact that you can see his head or something. As for the game requiring tactics, it really doesn't. I feel like I'm using the same strategy over and over again.

It's like the game uses artifical means (gun inaccuracy + the inability to kill some Germans without flanking) to encourage the use of strategy and tactics, but ends up failing miserably.

I haven't tried MP, but I'm sure it blows based on the SP.

I don't think I'm ever going to trust reviews again. I think what we've seen is reviewers are too afraid to be labeled as being wrong by the masses, so they give whatever rating the hype machine deems is appropriate to it. Just look at Doom 3, HL2, Halo, and now BiA.

CoD is still the best WWII FPS, and one of the best FPSs available. DoD is probably the second best WWII FPS. I thought the MOH series was awful, so your mileage may vary. BF1942 is third.
I agree with what your saying about BIA.There should actually be a separate thread about this game. It has dissappointed me on so many levels.

But I'm looking forward to Splinter Cell Chaos for now. S.T.A.L.K.E.R does look promising. Too bad it got pushed back.

Mindriot said:
I agree with what your saying about BIA.There should actually be a separate thread about this game. It has dissappointed me on so many levels.

But I'm looking forward to Splinter Cell Chaos for now. S.T.A.L.K.E.R does look promising. Too bad it got pushed back.
I don't think too many people actually have the game and that's why the number of threads about it have been fairly low. However, I have a feeling some of the issues might be fixed in time but it'll probably be a case of too little too late.

Back