What's The Most You'd Spend For A Processor?

What's The Most You'd Spend For A Processor?

• Total voters
I would spend about 1200$ on a processor... in fact I am willing to when the Dual Core Extreme Editions Come out. I hope they are not that much money, but I feel it is worth it. The processor is a very very important, if not the most important part in your computer.

I will never pay more than $200 for a cpu. After $200, the performance increases dont justify the cost to me.
USMC2Hard4U said:
I would spend about 1200$ on a processor... in fact I am willing to when the Dual Core Extreme Editions Come out. I hope they are not that much money, but I feel it is worth it. The processor is a very very important, if not the most important part in your computer.

I think the motherboard might be just as important. Oh, so is the PSU and ram. Come to think of it, there really isn't a "most important part."

For my current machine I went with the best out there, the FX-55 which cost me a little over $900, if it were over $1,000 I would have still bought it.

Meh, I'd look to spend about $200, but I'd be willing to go up to $250 or so if the features/performance are there.

$200-$300. for my next CPU, it will most likely be a 3500 90nm, or to save a few bucks maybe a 3200

I was always a "price-point" shopper with proccies. I used to have a $100 limit, but for my last build, I went $240 for mine.

Then again, I go 1 or 2 steps below the "top of the line" for my series.

k62@550 when P3/k7's came out
1.0 thunderbird when 1.2's were hot
3400 as a tide-me-over-until-939/dual-core

I'm not spending more than $300 on a single proccie. I get more performance/price ratio with other things like disk I/O and GPU performance.

What ever the best price/performance is...But I remember buying the K6-3 450 when it first came out for $275-300......

Depends on what the processor's for.

My personal gaming machine? $300

My rendering farm servers? $800

my girlfriends web surfing computer? Hand-me-down after buying my $300 processor.

USMC2Hard4U said:

I think of the power supply as being the most important thing in your computer.

UltimaParadox said:
200-300 still gets you right behind the best that cost upwards to 1k

Yes it does.. for "desktop" processors, anyhow.

Actually, I'm eyeing opteron 246's... 60% of the price of a 248, but only 10% behind them

You're missing the <$100 option, so I picked $100-$200. :) My last few procs have all been at or under $100. I used to spend tons of money on CPUs, but in the past year or two I haven't really seen the need to buy the latest and greatest. For me, an $80 XP-M overclocked to 200x11 is plenty fast enough for anything I'd do. I'm hoping in the future I don't have to spend much more than that.

$300-400 here. As of now the most I've spent on a processor is my current chip which I paid $235 for.

For a while the most I spent was around ~$60-100 which were on a bunch of JIUHB and mobile socket A chips.

To me it is a point of diminishing return. for that extra $100 am I really be able to tell the difference? I would be more inclined to spend the extra dough on a better motherboard, ram, or video card, but that's just me.

Novensu

USMC2Hard4U said:
You sir are not [H]ard :)[/QUOTEi

i really value my computer and spend endless time, tweaking it, and making it better, i just dont see a point in dropping 200$ on a processor, 500 on a video card, thats my perspective, just because i dont drop thousands of dollars on the latest and greatest, doesnt make me any less of an enthusiast. and i realize your joking, but just thought id state the facts :)

Under $100 max, even this axp-m @ 4000mflops in sisoft doesn't process stuff fast enough regardless of how slow my hdd is. And Ultra high end processors overclocked are only 30-40% faster
It'll be a LONG time before I see a processor I consider fast, much less a good price/performance ratio.

I use to spend at least $350 every 6-8 months on a new CPU, but in the past 2 yrs I don't upgrade as often or spend as much on the CPU. I've been running a Celeron 2.66 D for about the past 5 months and I just spend $200 yesterday on a P4 2.8 nw to replace it. I'll probably buy a new cpu once PCI-X goes more mainstream or whent eh dual cores come out, but even then I won't spend more then $200. As long as you have a decent cpu, you can spend the extra cash on a better vid card.

I remember paying $550 for a P200MMX chip way back in the day, don't know what I was thinking either.
I would spend a max of $200 nowadays. I've gone cheap with the computers.

With my budget, 2-3 hundred. At this price bracket, any depreciation in price isn't going to be too big of a deal. And with what most others say, the extra money can be spent elsewhere. No point in having the fastest CPU if all you've got is 64 MB of RAM :)

With current performance the way it is , I find it hard to spend more than $400 on a cpu. I mean I was able to get all the performance I need out of a $270 dollar chip. I will however invest the addtional money needed to allow dual Ultras to meet nearly all of their potential once I have them in hand. Perhaps an FX55 will in the $ 400 range by then. I can only hope

Back