Whats the most difficult game you've played?

Modern games dont come anywhere near the old NES days because you can save games now. The hardest game that I played seriously was battletoads. But I was younger, if I put in the time now that I put in back then, I'd probably get further. I played it again a couple of years ago and got surprisingly far into it despite not having played it in ages, I couldn't even remember the warp points.

Far Cry on the hardest difficulty without AI balancing. I almost finished the game, but only got half-way through the last level (and it was hell until then).

i was gonna say that about farcry.

Also some police game for nes but i dont remember what it was called and the original sega for the game gear. I was nine years old and crying all day from that. My step dad used to yell at me for crying from a video game.

those were the days.

Now I have graduated from college and the hardest game to play is called 'find a job", still haven't managed to beat that.

You've gotta separate different varieties of difficult. Many of the games listed are difficult because they're poorly balanced, unfair, and otherwise shitty games (see Silver Surfer on the NES). Games like Ninja Gaiden on the other hand are difficult, but well-designed, and beatable with some effort. I've always felt that there must be a distinction between hard games and shit games.

You KNOW.

Dude.
Fuck. That. Game.

I was gonna say Gradius 3, but nah man..... Fuck Battletoads. I wanna punch shit playing that game. Fuckin thinking about it makes me want to punch shit...

Fuck.

I need a cigerette........

Yep...this pretty much exactly sums up how I feel. To a T. Now for that smoke...anyone got a light?

That bastard made it look easy too.

I always loved these levels!! I think I beat Battletoads once in my life. normally I could to that snake level and I was done.

I don't recall TMNT being that hard. The airport level was always the biggest PITA for me but I wouldn't call the game impossible.

Wish I knew what NES games I had.

Only one that comes to mind is Legacy of the Wizard.

And any game with no password or continues is/was wrong.

Err plus only one life.

You've gotta separate different varieties of difficult. Many of the games listed are difficult because they're poorly balanced, unfair, and otherwise shitty games (see Silver Surfer on the NES). Games like Ninja Gaiden on the other hand are difficult, but well-designed, and beatable with some effort. I've always felt that there must be a distinction between hard games and shit games.

Exactly. I think the hardest game I've played is Silent Hunter III on full manual mode in 1944-45 . . . no gimmicks or crappy game design, just a good simulation of a suicidally difficult situation that allows no mistakes.

lol I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned double dragon 3

I don't recall TMNT being that hard. The airport level was always the biggest PITA for me but I wouldn't call the game impossible.
yeah, for the most part it wasn't too bad, but when they wanted to frustrate you they did a good job of it lol

battle toads was also a PITA

Pretty much any of the multitude of side-scrolling SNES games w/o save points, heh... Some of the Mega Man and Contra (3?) games were pretty annoying. NES had some tough ones too, I just had a much larger SNES collection. Metroid on the GameBoy was pretty obnoxious too, if you thought everything looked the same on the NES Metroid, wait 'till you remove all color and knock the resolution down several notches, lol. Super Metroid was a lot of fun though.

Ghosts and Goblins for the NES is the hardest game ever. Nothing comes close.

Meh... There were harder ones. The music would drive you up a wall after a while though!

I remember Battletoads, even the cover seems familiar... Definitely played it at a friend's place as I don't think I owned it. Definitely never played Target Earth though. I had some pretty hard Sega Master System games, because I simply couldn't figure out what the heck I was supposed to do! I couldn't really tell ya if it was my age (and the fact that it was my first game console), but some of those games just didn't seem simple at all...

The Ghostbuster one in particular, I remember it as some sort of Sim-type game w/bits of action thrown in... Even once my older cousin came over and helped me figure it all out I still remember the game being stupid hard, dunno why... I don't remember being frustrated by some of the racing/platform games I had for the Master System.

Some of the SNES Star Wars games were oddly difficult too, you'd think having such a wide market they'd be easier. Freaking Luke spinning like a gymnast all over the screen every time you jumped from one tiny perch to the next, while everything on the screen shoots at you.

Last edited:
played ghost and goblins beat it, not terrible. most games back then very difficult, but as I said earlier Target Earth took it to a new level, there is a reason that it is the only game i remember since EGM ever giving an impossible difficulty rating, and i have been reading EGM since about issue 7.

If memory serves, Serious Sam had it's moments. I can remember bing stuck in a courtyard with about 50-100 monsters coming after you wave after wave. Some levels were easy, but some were ridiculous.

The arcade version of Rastan is pretty tough. I have a hard time getting past the first couple levels.

You want difficult, but mature games? Try flight sims. DCS Black Shark is the latest one out.

For me, it was an old NES game called "Snake Rattle n'Roll". Although extremely fun and addicting to play at the time, I never finished it because the (what I assume were the) final levels, were downright near impossible.

For me, it was an old NES game called "Snake Rattle n'Roll". Although extremely fun and addicting to play at the time, I never finished it because the (what I assume were the) final levels, were downright near impossible.

Ending boss was ridiculous!!!

By far the hardest game I've ever tried to play, was on NES, Batman: The video game. Goddamn was the hard. I don't think I ever got past the first level, definitely not past the 2nd for sure. Although it had unlimited continues, you died in 2 hits. Which sends you back to the very beginning regardless of how far you get. It still boils my blood a little bit thinking about it.

The most difficult game for me in recent memory has to be Ikaruga. The game isn't difficult because it's imbalanced or anything; it's just genuinely difficult.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I just remembered Maximum Carnage! OMG that game is ridiculously hard. As a kid, I couldn't even get passed the first few levels. I played it again recently on my friend's old Sega Genesis, and I still can't get very far!

I don't recall the name, but there was a baseball game on Sega Gamegear that was almost impossible to win.

NES had some of the most memerable games ever, probably because we remember being so pissed off at them lol

By far the hardest game I've ever tried to play, was on NES, Batman: The video game. Goddamn was the hard. I don't think I ever got past the first level, definitely not past the 2nd for sure. Although it had unlimited continues, you died in 2 hits. Which sends you back to the very beginning regardless of how far you get. It still boils my blood a little bit thinking about it.
lol yes, that one was a royal pain in the ass. The graphics were pretty amazing for it's time though

I remember some older games being hard, Lion King for Genesis comes to mind, but it was more about getting lucky with the timing rather than actual difficulty. I know you said single player but, the hardest thing I have done in a game in recent memory was a raid mob in EQ2. I think the zone was called Pedestal of the Sky (it’s been forever since I played) from the first expansion. The zone was just two dragons and the basic gimmick was you had to engage both dragons at the same time and keep them within 5% health of each other while you killed them, if you didn’t some AoE would come in and wipe the raid. The dragons individually were pretty difficult, they both had some hard hitting AoEs and some wicked fully attacks, so you had to lay down decent dps in order to kill the mobs before healers ran out of mana. I remember going in and wiping for a couple hours a night for about 2 weeks trying to kill the mob. We finally got it though, that rush of accomplishment felt so great. I had heard of a couple guilds beating the zone before us but they used this exploit to fight each dragon individuality. I want to say my guild was the first guild to beat the encounter correctly out of all the servers.

The Contras always pissed me off. Took me like 9000 tries, but I eventually beat Contra3.

Final Fantasy Tactics. I could always reach a point and then just stop. The whole "enemies level as you do" thing was my undoing. I do have fond memories of the opening cinematic though....

I found that game pretty easy actually. Played straight through it.

Kid Chameleon for Sega Genesis was pretty tough for me though that was many many years ago :p

Never did beat it..

Friday the 13th - NES

The only game on my NES I never could finish.

Half my childhood I recall was spent trying to master all the original Ninja Gaidens on NES. Man did I destroy some controllers back in the day. I did however finally get to the point where I could complete all three titles fairly easily. It just took in incredible amount of time and patience.

Punch Out was tough to beat but not so bad once you mastered all the opponent tactics. I was one of the few guys I knew who could actually beat Tyson by TKO, not just by decision. Now that was a little difficult, actually knocking him down three times in one round.

Anyone ever play Gun Valkyrie on the original X-Box? Now THAT game was brutally difficult. On the hardest difficulty setting it was vitually impossible. Beautiful graphics though.

Heh, I can only guess it was, since the levels before it already were :)

Oh man you've brought back all my harrowing memories of that game. :p

I have this one clear image of an ice level where you're expected to easily saunter along this ultra thin ledge that's also angled so you gotta aim up to stop slipping off as well which is hard cos it's a fucking ice ledge.

Damn that game got stupid towards the end. Never finished it, couldn't say exactly how far I got through it.

Back