What's the latest verdict on Windows 10 LTSC?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Coldblackice, Oct 22, 2019.

1. Coldblackice

Coldblackice [H]ard|Gawd

Windows vs. Linux aside, has anyone used LTSC 2019? How's that experience been?

And has anyone modified an LTSC install to force Windows Store ability into it?

2. Gilthanis

Gilthanis [H]ard|DCer of the Year - 2014

We tried using it at work (banking industry) and had problems with it that outweighed the benefits. Just too much software incompatibility issues we experienced. Banking industry has a lot of poorly coded software and last minute rollouts. No idea why certain software just didn't work but we had a terrible time with it. So, we stuck with 10 Pro and now are working on tweaking it to an acceptable level.

ng4ever, Chuklr and Coldblackice like this.
  3. Mazzspeed

Mazzspeed 2[H]4U

Wow, now there's a twist I wasn't expecting. Possibly because LTSC is a frozen release resulting in incompatibilities with bleeding edge software?

ng4ever and AltTabbins like this.
  4. AltTabbins

AltTabbins [H]ard as it Gets

Its missing more behind the scenes too. I've seen people have issues with games where its missing parts/services that come with regular Windows. I know personally I just couldn't get anything that ran VAC on Steam to work correctly. People say that its missing just the "bad" stuff that comes with Windows 10 but in reality its stripped of even things that are quality of life related and also needed for some games/programs to work correctly. Since Microsoft is assuming LTSC is going to be used for basic static-use software.

ng4ever and Mazzspeed like this.
  5. Coldblackice

Coldblackice [H]ard|Gawd

Can I ask how recently or far back this was? Not that I imagine much has significantly changed in LTSC since (that would change the outcome), just curious about general time period'ing.

Thanks, that would be a deal-breaker for me, as well. How recently was this that you couldn't get VAC to work correctly? Which LTSC version?

I had hoped LTSC could be tweaked to work, having heard how nice it can be without all of 10 Pro's bloat, but unfortunately, it just seems to have too heavy of compromises to make the jump. Back to W10 Pro I go, I guess. Now the excitement in deciding between 1809/1903/1909... awesome.

Mazzspeed likes this.
  6. Mazzspeed

Mazzspeed 2[H]4U

Cheers AltTabbins, I honestly did not know that as I'm sure a great many others didn't also. So, basically you're best to stick to Windows 10 Pro for gaming?

AltTabbins and ng4ever like this.
  7. AltTabbins

AltTabbins [H]ard as it Gets

Probably the best choice for compatibility. Home should be ok too if you don't mind the lack of Pro features.

ng4ever and Mazzspeed like this.
  8. Gilthanis

I believe we officially pulled the plug around June or July. I do not recall the exact version. We just don't have the time to keep testing ways to make stuff work when it works out of the box in Pro.

ng4ever likes this.
  9. Gilthanis

I asked our Engineer that creates the image and we were still using 1809 when we stopped.