What's the highest CFM & Quietest 120mm Fan on the Market?

I went for the SY1225SL12SH (1900RPM,110CFM, 37dBA) only because I wanted to reduce the number of fans in my PC. I had up to 7 case fans at one stage (not inc CPU, NB or GPU) and went to this one + std PSU only as exhaust . In my opinion, I think I reduced overall noise and definitely improved temps.

what's your feel on this fan? Is it really 37dB or is it louder?

I can put up w/ 37dB if is REALLY moves 110cfm.

Because I was told that the thicker the fan, the more CFM it can move. And yet your one is only 25 mm thick.

The one that I was to buy:

http://www.acousticpc.com/panaflo_120mm_ultra_high_speed_fan.html

120x120x38mm, 115 Plus CFM @ 2750 RPM, 45 dBA

So I find it hard to believe a 25 mm fan can do the same CFM as a 38 mm thick fan, and at a lower dB for that matter

Please let us know

====================

http://www.acousticpc.com/delta_afb1212ghe_revision_c_grand_high_speed_120mm_x_38mm_cooling_fan.html

out of interest, there is a fan that is 240 CFM, and it claims:

This provides enough airflow to cool down even the Sun's Core...

:D:D

http://www.nmbtech.com/index_f.html

Is there any other fan other than the above that is in the range of 110 to 130 CFM, less than 50dB.

Because I understand the noise level would be the same if I ALREADY have a 50 dB fan. Now I click the above and found the exact spec. of my fan:

50dB, 129.957 CFM, 3600 rpm, 0.9A

so I would imagine any fan less than the above, (I need it for a front fan), would have the very same noise level that I am currently having.

Deltas are stupid loud. It's strange, they almost seem proud of the fact.

I much prefer Panaflos to Nexus, Scythe, Noctua, etc. They aren't quiet at full speed (even the low speed ones) but you can turn them down to quiet and they still move a great deal of air. I guess it's the same theory a previous poster used with Silverstone fans -- you know that if there's ever a reason you can crank those things up in a big way.

I was able to get a bunch of 120x38 200cfm delta fans for $3.5 a piece off e-bay. Got them all tied to a fan controller. Ya, really don't see cooling increase beyond 100cfm, and even 50-100cfm doesn't change much. I think 60cfm is good enough. Is neat to have that power like a muscle car though. I wouldn't worry about 25 vs 38mm so much. A wider motor is also a turn off if it's mounted on a HS because you'll have a bigger dead zone.

I wouldn't pay that much attention to listed DB level specs unless they were done by the same company/reviewer. A lot of companies list lower DB levels as I don't think they have any standardized way of measuring them they have to adhere too.

At the end of the day what matters most is your RPMs/CFM and cross-sectional area for sound levels.

I already have a Nexus fan:

http://www.nexustek.nl/NXS-nexus120mmrealsilentcasefan.htm

the nexus c/w a 3 pin motherboard connector. I can't get that on my mother board, as my MB (it's a HP) only support a very small 4 pin. so in the end, I use the regular dongle (the regular size 4 pin connector--the same size that fits in your hard drive).

But the Nexus is only 18dB, so no biggie. But if I buy the following:

http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/acc/026/sy1225sl_detail.html

it's at 37dB when the RPM moves to 1900 rpm. So my question is:

1) is the Scythe variable speed? If so, is there a way to use that 4 pin HP motherboard connector somehow? As the MB controls variable speed. So even my rear fan is max at 50dB, right now, it's probably at min. speed, around 25 dB or so.

I already have a Nexus fan:

http://www.nexustek.nl/NXS-nexus120mmrealsilentcasefan.htm

the nexus c/w a 3 pin motherboard connector. I can't get that on my mother board, as my MB (it's a HP) only support a very small 4 pin. so in the end, I use the regular dongle (the regular size 4 pin connector--the same size that fits in your hard drive).

But the Nexus is only 18dB, so no biggie. But if I buy the following:

http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/acc/026/sy1225sl_detail.html

it's at 37dB when the RPM moves to 1900 rpm. So my question is:

1) is the Scythe variable speed? If so, is there a way to use that 4 pin HP motherboard connector somehow? As the MB controls variable speed. So even my rear fan is max at 50dB, right now, it's probably at min. speed, around 25 dB or so.

You need to buy a fan controller. You can get a Sunbeam Rheobus for around $20, and problem solved. Just connect all your fans to it.

Do you really need 110CFM? 33db at 88CFM is not bad, and 24db at 66 is pretty darn good for the lower speed version of those slipstreams.

My rear fan is at max: 129.957 CFM, 50 dB, 3600 rpm NMB-MAT

So at max. speed, anything less than the above will do. Now as you know, the front fan should match the CFM w/ the rear, so 110CFM is somewhat doable.

My rear fan is at max: 129.957 CFM, 50 dB, 3600 rpm NMB-MAT

So at max. speed, anything less than the above will do. Now as you know, the front fan should match the CFM w/ the rear, so 110CFM is somewhat doable.

That still seems like an awful lot of air movement - have you tried moving less air to see how much difference it makes? You may have hit the point of diminishing returns somewhere along the line. I guess it's all what you are comfortable with, but 50 dB has got to be pretty loud.

I didn't design the machine, it's a HP XW9300 professional workstation. Those HP engineer design that fan to c/w this machine. I only hear 50 dB noise when I play games. The speed of the fan varies, for normal business use, it only makes audible noise

You guys need to learn a bit about static pressure as well. Some of these fans rated at high CFM may not be able to push jack shit through a heat sync.

I didn't design the machine, it's a HP XW9300 professional workstation. Those HP engineer design that fan to c/w this machine. I only hear 50 dB noise when I play games. The speed of the fan varies, for normal business use, it only makes audible noise

As opposed to inaudible noise?

You guys need to learn a bit about static pressure as well. Some of these fans rated at high CFM may not be able to push jack shit through a heat sync.

QFT

I got my scythe slipstreams, and I'm not impressed at all. They have pretty much no pressure at all. I had to pull off the one I put on my TRUE, and put my Panaflo back on, because it wasn't moving any air through the HS. The one I put as an intake for the case moves pretty much no air either, since it butts up to an air filter. Looks like I'll stick to undervolting my panaflo's.

QFT

I got my scythe slipstreams, and I'm not impressed at all. They have pretty much no pressure at all. I had to pull off the one I put on my TRUE, and put my Panaflo back on, because it wasn't moving any air through the HS. The one I put as an intake for the case moves pretty much no air either, since it butts up to an air filter. Looks like I'll stick to undervolting my panaflo's.

Yep, I had the same with my front intake of my case since the HDD drive bay sits right in front of it. My Scythe S-Flex didn't push enough air for my taste. Replaced it with a SilenX I had floating around and I get much more air past the drive bay.

Here's another vote for Scythe though. Love my SFlex when I put it elsewhere in my case and a friend has 3 pushing air throughout his case and they're great. My Scythe just didn't work well enough in the above example. Love my SilenX I have there now as I get probably twice as much air pushed past the HDD bay.

I've had great luck with both Scythe and SilenX. Scythe is still my preferred due to cost/performance ratios. Sometimes though you just have to use something different. ;)

-V

according to silent pc review's extensive and obsessive testing, noctua are the absolute best. for price/performance that honor goes to the slyche slipstreams.

Deltas are stupid loud. It's strange, they almost seem proud of the fact.

I much prefer Panaflos to Nexus, Scythe, Noctua, etc. They aren't quiet at full speed (even the low speed ones) but you can turn them down to quiet and they still move a great deal of air. I guess it's the same theory a previous poster used with Silverstone fans -- you know that if there's ever a reason you can crank those things up in a big way.

Panaflos ahhh yes L1A or L1BX :) so reliable and nice quality. No bling and I don't mind the noise they make at full speed, its a rather suthing air whooshing sound. Bot quite as much CFM as the OP is looking for though. Someone told me no need for 38mm thick fans and to try yates, but the yates don't have the same sound. They are maybe a little quieter but the sound of the fan not the air it is pushing. And they don't seem to have enough static pressure for me and they certainly won't be as reliable either. I think I will eventualy replace them with L1BX's....Except where this is not possible (HD bay)

I'll be sticking to my 38mmx120mm beasts. They're huge and heavy but do what no normal 120mm fan can. Bigger is better. I get huge CFM and the things are barely spinning. I bought some Noctua NF-P12's and ended up returning them as they still can't push the CFM at the same volume. Done many, many tests (temp n noise).

Old pic, but you get the idea... oh, and excuse the disgusting dog nose...
box1sgq7.jpg

That's almost 3x fans in a row there!
Anyways...what model fan is that? What voltage/(% speed)/RPM is at also?

They are extremely hard to find now. They're actually the old Antec THICK 3-spd fans. I can no longer find any, anywhere - everybody's gone to the 25mm thickness, which SUCKS IMO. No comparison. I'm just glad I bought 10 of them when I saw them.

yeah, in fact, here's an aluminum framed model:

(probably loud though... guess you could under-volt it...)

http://www.altex.com/Cooling-Fan-AC120V-120-x-120-x-38mm-FAN-115A-P141627C10545.aspx

I just happened to see that by chance, just now, looking at the Altex website.

I really wish there was a Fry's in San Antonio. Anyone know of any other places around San Antonio besides Altex, that are kinda like a Fry's? (originally from the Houston area, and the electronics store selection around San Antonio is looking sparse...)

Altex is like Fry's- but the people know what they are talking about, and it's more expensive. sigh. guess you can't have both lol

Back