What's the game you could play over and over?

Max Payne 1/2
I've probably played through MP2 about 80 times. Definitely tops my list. Doom 2 is right up there as well.

To most of you people posting RPGs, I think you're fucking nuts... As much as I liked Mass Effect, I haven't been able to stomach more than a couple of hours of a second playthrough. Once I've seen the plot, done the quests, explored all there is to explore and looted all there is to loot, all that's left is a shitty third-person shooter with too much walking and too many cutscenes.

It's the same with every RPG I've ever played. Replaying an RPG is like rereading a book. I don't really see the point.

Diablo 2, Lunar: The Silver Star Story Complete, now that I think of it, those 2 are probably the only games I could see myself not getting completely bored with after a lot of play throughs.

If going by how long I played or put time into, Quake1 and UT99. I played Q1 from 96 until at least 2001 and I have gone back a couple more times later. 100's of mods. UT a close second to that.
Red Alert 2 with Yuri's revenge would be in there also, I still go back and play that. Not sure why but I always loved that game out of the series more than any others. I just wish I could get it to work in my native resolution.

Right now, Dota2. I'm usually a SP guy but there's no SP you could play forever and stay sane.

I don't play them a whole lot, but a couple of games I keep coming back to over time...

STUNTS
One Must Fall: 2097
ReVolt

YES. One must fall. Amazing game from my childhood. I used to love perfecting all the awesome shadow moves and all that shit. I had the "trial" version forever. Always wanted to play as the red guy, Paul. He was so badass.

The badass techno music and the awesome fighting effects, esp. when you threw someone into the electric wall/fence. Pure epic game. If anyone is into fighting games, and hasn't played this, big mistake.

Stalker, Deus Ex
I would say KOTOR but I played it so many times through that the very last play through I did I had completed every companion quest and obtained I think both special crystals at the space station (hardest fight in the game btw) and when I was outside the temple on the last planet where the star forge was (damn its been so long I've forgotten its name) my play time for that run was 14 hours. I had done it so many times I had figured out when and where to go each place to be the most efficient and would only have to run out in the Tatooine desert only a few times. And I say with sincerity HK47 may be the best video game character ever lol

What a great thread; thanks OP. I had to think back over the last 20 years to remember what I played most often.

Although I know the focus is PC here, on the NES:

Megaman & Megaman X (any number)
Super Mario Brothers 3
TMNT (any number)

On PC:

Lands of Lore: Guardians of Destiny
Halo
Unreal Tournament (any)

Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl.

Have ended it no less than 15 times... and plan to do it more!

Master of Orion. Actually this is one of the few games ever made where the mac version was so superior to the PC version.

Mac version had better sound quality, let you resize the screen, ran faster, is still able to run on many modern macs. The PC version I picked up from GOG.com really sucks because it has to use dosbox (eugh) and the window can't be resized. So you are stuck in a horrible resolution with worse sound that runs poorly out of the box until you spend time doing a ton of dosbox tweaking.

Still, the game is awesome.

Myth 1&2, Serious Sam, Thief, Crysis, and uh... Audiosurf, 'cause I'm so hahdcawr.

Batman Arkham City
Mass Effect 1, 2, & 3
Unreal Tournament 2004
Battlefield 3
Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare
Transformers Fall of Cybertron

These all have had pretty good staying power for me.

I've played these two on and off since they came out (80's?):

Forgotten Worlds
Smash TV

Going with the historical approach as well (and trying to be honest with myself here).

Top 5 in terms of total hours played:
1. Diablo II
2. Counter-Strike
3. World of Warcraft
4. Star Wars Galaxies
5. Team Fortress 2

Quake III, Unreal Tournament, and Age of Empire II would all be honorable mentions.

yeah...

Single player games would look a lot different obviously, but would probably include just about everything Bethesda and Bioware (swtor excluded - that one didn't take long...). I'll probably throw Sim City 2000 in there as well.

In terms of total hours played it would be:
  • Unreal Tournament
  • Unreal Tournament 2004
  • Mass Effect 2
  • Mass Effect 3
  • Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

I think those are the top five games of all time for me in terms of total hours played.

This is a serious question.

If I get to play with Friends via LAN/Multiplier/Online It would be a close battle between these but I'll list them in order

1>Saturn Bomberman: 8 Player battles are an insanity of fun.
2>Warcraft 3: (so many mods like Tower Defense this game could be endless)
3> Diablo 2: Very fun with friends

If I'm Playing alone.

1>Shining Force 3 the entire game:.....Partly because I'd be learning Japanese for the last 2 disc and also partly its like a 80+ hours game with a bunch of different characters to play.
2>Shining force 2: I have already pretty much played this over and over
3>Xenogears: Long, deep, and slow.

This is a serious question.

If I get to play with Friends via LAN/Multiplier/Online It would be a close battle between these but I'll list them in order

1>Saturn Bomberman: 8 Player battles are an insanity of fun.
2>Warcraft 3: (so many mods like Tower Defense this game could be endless)
3> Diablo 2: Very fun with friends

If I'm Playing alone.

1>Shining Force 3 the entire game:.....Partly because I'd be learning Japanese for the last 2 disc and also partly its like a 80+ hours game with a bunch of different characters to play.
2>Shining force 2: I have already pretty much played this over and over
3>Xenogears: Long, deep, and slow.

Gotta agree here, Warcraft 3 sucked up so many after-school hours for me back when I was really young. I remember running it on some piece of shit 8MB integrated crap, and it still ran it like a champion. The endless amount of fun I got from the custom games (Tower Defense 99.9% of the time) will never be forgotten.

Definitely spent the longest time on Diablo 2 and Quake 3.

Lately I haven't found any games that really captures my interest for a long time. The only exception has been HoN because I really like how despite the same map being played all the time there's just a silly amount of strategy and diversity. It's basically the textbook game (or genre if you want to include dota 2 and LoL) when it comes to re-playability.

I probably put in 800-900 games of hon easily, but I haven't played that in a while mainly because I have not had enough time to keep up my skills. It takes pretty consistent playing to remain semi-reasonable at moba games.

If you don't play for 6 months there's 100 new heroes to learn and there's likely been a billion balance patches and maybe some item changes.

Team Fortress Classic if it were still alive.

For single-player campaigns, I've probably played the Freespace games more times than anything else. Doom 1&2 are always fun to load up.

Mount and Blade: Warband.
I have some retarded amount of hours logged in that game and every time I download a new mod it gets more hours.

-Chrono Trigger
-Final Fantasy 1, 4, 6, 10
-Sim City 1, 2k, 3k, 4
-Super Metroid
-ANY Mega Man X game (1-8, not the the stupid hand-held abominations)
-Mass Effect series
-ANY games like Gradius or Rtype or Raiden or NEO Geo ones like View Point ect.
-I WOULD play games like Oblivion more if the stupid enemies didn't level with you, ruins the game to never out-power the SAME highway robbers...
**edit** forgot oops!
-Crusader: No Remorse
-Star Reach
-Theme Park
-Zelda: Link to the past
and so many more......

Back