What's the favorite HDD brand these days?

Maxtor...man...haven't heard that name in ages. Think I MAY still have one somewhere in storage.

Speaking of wich, Newegg has the HGST Desktar 3TB for 110 at the moment. Need to kind of expand my server anyway....

Newegg has the HGST Desktar 3TB for 110 at the moment.

When I got the email about a $95 discount on the 3TB HGST NAS I thought the drive to be less than $30. Oh well..

Maxtor...man...haven't heard that name in ages. Think I MAY still have one somewhere in storage.

Speaking of wich, Newegg has the HGST Desktar 3TB for 110 at the moment. Need to kind of expand my server anyway....
You could pickup the Toshiba P300 instead if it's significantly cheaper. Same drive.

Thanks Playa, I'll check it out right now!

Edit: Yup 97.99 at the moment for the 3TB one!

Actually, better hold your horses. I was assuming that you were talking about the 7K3000 :
7k3000_3_221700219924.jpg

If you were, then it's the same drive as the P300 :
mainv.jpg

My favorites;

HGST - super reliable but pricey.
WD - been buying these since 1995. Only 2 have gone bad.
Toshiba - I only buy the 3TB ones. Never an issue.

In that order.

I've had good luck with WD Black drives. The Green drives are shit. I've had three of them die on me.

For my desktop computers, I have completely eliminated HDDs, and only use SSDs. My personal laptop has a SSD and a 1 TB hard drive, and I'll be darned if I could remember what brand it was. It came with the computer, but I swapped it out with a SSD, and then put it in as a storage drive on that laptop. When I was using HDDs, my go-to brand was Western Digital Black.

I know that for some people, they use a SSD for storing programs and the OS, and a HDD for storing data and such. However, I use a FreeNAS box for that. For my FreeNAS box, I have eight HGST Deskstar NAS H3IKNAS500012872SN (0S03835) 5TB 7200 RPM running in a RAID-Z2 configuration. All running good.

Last edited:
Only failure I ever had was with an old 1.5TB Seagate external.

Luckily I caught the clicking noise before it completly died so I was able to transfer the data.

For my FreeNAS box, I have eight HGST Deskstar NAS H3IKNAS500012872SN (0S03835) 5TB 7200 RPM running in a RAID0 configuration. All running good.

You have 40TB in RAID 0? That seems stupid, if one drive fails, and yes even HGST drives can fail, you lose everything.

I've had good luck with WD Black drives. The Green drives are shit. I've had three of them die on me.
Same here, have a few 1 and 2 TB blacks still going strong. Not running them in RAID or anything fancy. They can get a little chatty sometimes but it doesn't really bug me.

Back