What's the fastest way to Upgrade windows 7 keys to 10?

nilepez

[H]F Junkie
I've got several 7 and a couple of windows 8 keys that I'd like to activate on 10 so that I can use them in the future. Do I have to install 10 once for each key, or can I simply change the 10 key on an install to each 7/8 key and be done with it?

You can't because each one will be tied to a specific hardware configuration. While you could potentially use those keys to install Windows 10 (you can do that nowadays) it will still be tied to one specific hardware configuration meaning you can't just move the licensing to another machine at a later time just for shits and giggles.

One activation = one machine, you can't have more than one activation per configuration just to take advantage of the free upgrade, it won't work that way.

You can't because each one will be tied to a specific hardware configuration. While you could potentially use those keys to install Windows 10 (you can do that nowadays) it will still be tied to one specific hardware configuration meaning you can't just move the licensing to another machine at a later time just for shits and giggles.

One activation = one machine, you can't have more than one activation per configuration just to take advantage of the free upgrade, it won't work that way.
According to winsupersite (and some others) it retains the retail license from 7/8.x (Windows 10 Upgrade and Installation Frequently Asked Questions).
winsupersite said:
if I bought a retail license that was purchased online or in a store - does the system upgraded to the free Windows 10 upgrade remain licensed as a retail license? (23 June 2015)

YES

If I purchased my copy of Windows 7 or 8/8.1 as a retail license from a store (brick and mortar or online/digital) and I upgrade to the free Windows 10 can I transfer that to a new computer under the retail licensing? (23 June 2015)

YES

Where did you (or anyone else that stumbles by here) see that it's not a retail license?

Thanks

Yes, you can use window 7 or 8 key in window 10 but you can't use that key on more then one system unless you have key for multiple machine. According to Microsoft, You can also use a using a Windows 7, Windows 8, or Windows 8.1 product key to activate Windows 10 Version 1511 or higher.

Yes, you can use window 7 or 8 key in window 10 but you can't use that key on more then one system unless you have key for multiple machine. According to Microsoft, You can also use a using a Windows 7, Windows 8, or Windows 8.1 product key to activate Windows 10 Version 1511 or higher.
To be clear, I'm all but certain that I can install Windows 10 ten times with ten different keys today and a year from now use any of those keys to install on new hardware (or a VM)

What I'm asking is if I do a change key on an existing install and put in Key 2 then change key back to Key 1 will Key 2 be a win 10 key after July 29th?

To be clear, I'm all but certain that I can install Windows 10 ten times with ten different keys today and a year from now use any of those keys to install on new hardware (or a VM)

What I'm asking is if I do a change key on an existing install and put in Key 2 then change key back to Key 1 will Key 2 be a win 10 key after July 29th?

I don't know. You're going on 18 hours without an answer.

You might as well have been on hold with India asking Microsoft directly

I've got several 7 and a couple of windows 8 keys that I'd like to activate on 10 so that I can use them in the future. Do I have to install 10 once for each key, or can I simply change the 10 key on an install to each 7/8 key and be done with it?
This has been covered a thousands times here. You are not upgrading a Windows 7 key to Windows 10 key when you install the free upgrade. What you are asking to do is impossible because the Windows 10 activation license is tied to a hardware hash and not any specific key.

The only way to use the existing 7 and 8 keys you have now on Windows 10 in the future is to build the machines now, install the OSes on them and upgrade to 10. At that time those specific systems (motherboards) are licensed for 10.

Last edited:
Back