what's the difference on the design of these 2 DAC circuit boards?

You are talking about that daughter board on top that has the repeating rows? That's probably the R2R DAC section. Bunch of resistors. There can also be secondary circuits that are designed for stability that do not directly impact the source signal. Is R2R better? I don't think anyone will be able to give you the right answer. You will just have to read what you and make a best guess and then be satisfied with your choice.....or......always doubt your choice and descend down the path of eternal dissatisfaction that is audiophile.

You can read lots and lots about resistor ladder versus multibit. Here's an article by a guy saying resistor is the best thing there is and backs it up by saying:

The worst sound can be achieved with 1-bit modulators, as found in DSD, respectively SACD.

Apart from SACD being a complete waste of storage space, the achieved resolution is low, and the musical presentation ranges from "very lame without detail and drive" to "more detail but very acid".

But some people might say that DSD (aka SACD) is the pinnacle of sound distribution mediums, and that the Japanese probably know a thing or two about high quality audio.

no, not just the daughter board, but that's part of it. You see how he has so many chips on the board, and more so on the daughter board?

and the DCS people only has a handful of VLSI on their board.

What does that tell you about the difference btwn. the 2?

You know you are in trouble when even the separate prices page doesn't show any prices. I'm guessing this is for on-stage musical production equipment or something?

no, there is a price page on that Total TAC. And this is just a future purchase for myself

Back