What's the difference on PCB on front side USB panel of cases c/w 1 yr. warranry vs. 3 yr. warranty?

Happy Hopping

Supreme [H]ardness
for brand names PC cases that only have 1 year warranty, what's the quality of the PCB of the front USB panel ?

vs. some other brand name PC cases, in which their cases c/w 3 year warranty?

I have seen just recenlty that Antec cases has PCB fail at the front USB panel, both in warranty case, and out of warranty case

can we assume the PCB of the front side USB panel on 3 yr. warranty cases last much longer? and the cases c/w 1 yr. warranty are just cheap cases w/ cheap PCB?

I think you're overthinking this. I doubt that there is any difference at all between front panel connector quality and it's just the luck of the draw. If the cases use a very similar/same FP layout (I've seen power-audio-audio-usb-usb even across multiple brands), they're all probably using the same 50 cent PCB from a generic parts factory, regardless if it's a $20 case or a $200 case.

so they all OEM? but since the remaining of a case is just pure metal, why would brands like Thermaltake gives 3 yr., whereas brands like SilverSTone gives 1 yr.? And w/ Brands like Antec & Coolermaster at 2 yr.?

Antec used to be 3, then downgrade to 2.

Don't tell me the case fan can fail in a few year, I never seen a case fan fails in a 10 yr. time frame

I never seen a case fan fails in a 10 yr. time frame

Then you haven't been around enough PCs.

USB panel is a generic commodity item - easily replaceable in a case, and easy to work around if you don't want to replace it.

so you're saying those co. who gives 1 yr. warranty is because they use cheap fan, rather than a cheap PCB for Front panel?

P.S. how would you "work around" it, other than not using it?

so they all OEM? but since the remaining of a case is just pure metal, why would brands like Thermaltake gives 3 yr., whereas brands like SilverSTone gives 1 yr.? And w/ Brands like Antec & Coolermaster at 2 yr.?

Antec used to be 3, then downgrade to 2.

Don't tell me the case fan can fail in a few year, I never seen a case fan fails in a 10 yr. time frame

Companies give different length warranties to differentiate themselves to the consumer (compare Seasonic branded PSUs to rebadged Seasonic PSUs sold under different brands), and the fans have little to do with it. Typically, a more expensive case from a reputable company will come with a longer warranty, to give you more piece of mind when buying something that costs more. A cheapo case could come with no warranty for all I care, because if it costs me more to ship it than to buy another one, I'm not going to RMA it. Warranty programs cost money, because there are always failures. The longer a warranty is, the more expensive the guarantee is to maintain, and companies have different views on what that should be.

Did a quick search through Newegg...Cooler Master cases: 1 year, even on the $500 C700, Phanteks: 5 years cheap or not. Corsair varies in weird ways. It's all in what the company does in their budgeting/marketing process, and to what degree they really want to tell the consumer that they stand behind their products. To me, that 1 yr CM warranty on their best case says "meh, whatever, legal minimum," but they will sell you replacement parts if it's not too old.

I've had stock case fans fail myself, ("wear out" may be more precise for most of them-my systems typically run 24/7@100% for years), only one within a warranty and it was just a convenient excuse to put in a better unit.

Buy a nice case from a reputable manufacturer, and the case fans on the 1, 2, 3... yr warranty cases are often the same ones they sell separately for more money and 5+ yr warranties.

Here's how I would work around a dead front panel if I wasn't up/able to replacing it: If you have an available external 3.5"/5.25" bay, there are hundreds of options on Newegg that provide anything from 2 USB ports, to multiple USB, card reader, power switch, fan controller, etc. all combined. Other options are to get an external USB hub for the desk. If you need a power button but don't want to mod or replace the cable (the most common fault), you can set up your keyboard in the BIOS to power on the system.

hey, very good tip. I appreciate this.

I don't look at New egg annoucment warranty. I went to cooler master site, but whether it's 1 or 2 yr. it doesn't matter.

I have been using NZXT, and I think it's 3 yr., but if you read the complaints from various members including myself, it's total shit for a 3 yr. chassis. Including dead fans

-------

I have been using NZXT, and I think it's 3 yr., but if you read the complaints from various members including myself, it's total shit for a 3 yr. chassis. Including dead fans

So which is it? You've never seen fans fail or you have? For me, I've never had front port failures that were a problem with the front pcb. Fans, yes.

I never seen fail fan. But when I complained about the fan controller, embedded that c/w NZXT in this hardforum. Others jumped in and complained about their experience w/ NZXT, and they said NZXT fans fail. So when it comes to fan, I'm quoting what they said. Search yourself in this forum under NZXT

My wife's NZXT USB/headphone header went bad but that was caused by a cat jumping on the case causing it to slide off its pedestal and the items in the header plugs got caught on the way down and ripped off. (The items in the case were just fine. NZXT build quality rivals that of a tank—I mean that in a good way.)

Unless OEM case fans are not replaceable I really don't expect them to survive. I can always replace them with better quality fans if need be.

You haven't been around enough PCs lol. Sleeve bearing fans have a notoriously high failure rate, which are common in cheaper cases, lower end power supplies, chipset and video card fans, etc.

You're supposed to replace the grease every so often, but no manufacturer ever tells you this. I can sometimes save seized fans by cleaning out the old grease and putting fresh in if they haven't gone too long grinding burned grease into the sleeve.

And modern cars don't have a transmission dipstick, doesn't mean it suddenly requires no service.

Back