What's the deal with TV displays?

AoL_Is_My_EnEmY

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey guys,

I was thinking of picking up a nice TV to use as a computer monitor. I know I've used my round tubed TV before and the picture quality is crap... yet I've seen some people that use their TV's and the picture looks fantastic. Is that because they have an HDTV or something? I didn't know if there was some specific type of TV you had to get to have a clear picture from your PC. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

-Evan

HDTV would be the key there. Higher resolution gives a sharper picture.

So how would I go about connecting the computer to the TV? S-Video? Or is there another type of input I'm looking for?

AoL_Is_My_EnEmY said:
So how would I go about connecting the computer to the TV? S-Video? Or is there another type of input I'm looking for?
componet, DVI-D, d-sub 15pin all work

The TV I was looking at has:

Connectivity
AV 1 : CVBS in, CVI
AV 2 : CVBS, S-Video
AV 3 : HDMI
Front / Side connections : CVBS in, Headphone out, S-Video in

Would that do the trick?

I wouldn't recommend that set. If you want to hook up your computer on it, you need to look for a set that supports HDTV resolution of at least 720p. This set doesn't support that. 720p is the same as saying 1280x720 in PC lingo. Most CRT HDTV sets also don't do refresh rates well. This Philips is only 60hz. Some will say "but it supports 1080i", but that isn't a good setting for PC use.
Supported Display Resolution
Video formats : 480p, 60Hz, 1080i, 60Hz

Hmmm, alright... I was reading and people said that it supports 1080i and 720p... but I'll take your advice. Do you have any suggestions on TVs that could be used as a monitor?

Back