Whats the deal with these esata ports?

SonicTron

Snopes is My Fact Checker
eCCwl.jpg

The red and green ones at the bottom. The red one is familiar, but what exactly is the green one?

Why don't you look it up in the specifications or manual for the motherboard?

Is that an ASUS P67?
If I'm reading things right, it's powered (so if the device supports power over eSATA you don't need to power it from an USB port).

Yep, Powered eSATA. Though I'm not sure you can just plug in any existing docking station via eSATA and have it work. I think there needs to be a new/specific cable/connection type.

Why don't you look it up in the specifications or manual for the motherboard?

I read through it at least 6 times but all I saw was that it was referenced "esata 3g," but I might have missed some subtle note...

Is that an ASUS P67?
If I'm reading things right, it's powered (so if the device supports power over eSATA you don't need to power it from an USB port).

Yeah its a P67. Now I see that it is a powered esata port, thanks, I hadn't seen one yet.

Powered eSATA eh? Obviously an attempt to stave off USB 3.0, at least for storage anyway.

Yup. I sort of like the idea - I've only barely tested esata, but getting full SATA instead of USB mass storage is on occasions nice. (I've only used it to clone a laptop HD in FreeBSD so far - but it was really very nice for that). Including power in the same cable should have been in the first revision, honestly.

Back