What's the deal with refurbished Displays?, eBay offers? Worth it?

verklighet

Weaksauce
Hey Guys!

So I am considering a new computer to go along with my new build.

I am, like many others, debating between the Samsung 245T or Dell 2408. Now, in an attempt to leave technical aspects out of this post, I'd like to focus more on where the winnings are in refurbished items and what the losses could be.

So, since my budget as a student is tight, I'd like to jump in to the refurbished market (ebay mainly) and get a little understanding of it in advance, so I don't get lured into bad deals or ripoffs.

Now I do understand the basics. Refurbished is usually a returned item that may or may not be damaged or include warranty. But the basic idea is, you save some money and with that you take a risk. I must tell you though, compared to the original prices, refurbished look so yummy...

SO here are a couple of sweet deals I've found:

(Remember, the original price of Samsung 245T and Dell 2408 is around $650)

Samsung 245T for 399$ --- Seller has great reviews, FREE SHIPPING, and this is a Refurbished one. Which means It could include dead pixels or maybe have a strong Buzzing sound coming out of it (one of the main complaints in the reviews about this screen). This seller actually OFFERS MONEY BACK RETURN POLICY.

Dell 2408 for $455 ---- Seller has great reviews, FREE SHIPPING, and the seller claims his products are actually NEW, which is awesome. Although this ad doesn't have any Return Policies posted, worries me. I'm gonna send a message and ask Seller about it.

Questions:

Have I missed anything?
Will I corner myself by buying these through eBay? (problems with returns, if any, and money transfers..)
What do you guys look for?

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
vick1000, Hey! I see...hm. So what's the difference? Anything you experienced yourself in these differences?

Thanks man!

Refurbished may mean they just cleaned it up and reboxed it. If the listing does not specifically state, ask them.

Also get very specific about "defective pixels" and "backlight bleed", when asking about returns.

Vick1000, If you look at the Dell 2408 link above, you'll see that he ensures that it's new and not reboxed and refurbished. It looks like a fairly sweet deal, what'd you think?

Here's another one from the same Dell 2408-guy. But this time it goes by bidding and it is a used monitor, although starting at suuuper cheap bidding. It still has full warranty.

I am thinking about bidding. What'd you guys think??

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The 2408 has horrible input lag, are you sure you want to go that route?

Basically, I was just giving you general advice for shopping for monitors on e-bay.

i just bought a matching monitor for my setup off of ebay too. i was a bit hesitant. i just shot the seller an email and had him take a picture while running a check for dead pixels. on both a black and white coloured screen.

he was happy to do it which settled down my hesitation.

also, on the samsung, it only buzzes when you drop the brightness down past 84 or so. not a big deal. but if it hurts your eyes at full brightness your either stuck with a headache or humming.

Back