What's the damage to this iMac 24" screen?

tuffgong

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi,

Bought this iMac and did not know it was damaged:

Does that look like LCD burn-in or is it condensation? It's that way when the iMac is off too. The yellowish appearance is most likely because it was under a yellow light.

I'm betting on burn-in.

EDIT: nevermind, it shouldn't be like that when the display is off.

Can you take a picture of it off?

I will do that tonight...it looks like there's discoloration on the LCD when it's off...grayish instead of black.

I can confirm that the damage is to the back of the glass so it's not an LCD issue...phew!

Its an easy fix. Go to Walmart or Walgreens and pick up one of those suction cup shower handles. Now take it out of the container and make sure the cups are really clean. Pull up the release levers and place vertically in the middle of the screen. Slowly push down the release levers. Now pull strait out. The glass is held in place by metal posts and magnets. Now you can clean the inside. I use a little windex on a microfiber cloth then I wipe it down with a coffee filter and then blow it off with a can of compressed air. Hope this helps.

I did this and got most of the smudge off but some wouldn't get off...still better than it was thanks.

I had to clean it several times to get it all off. But I'm glad I could help.

Back