What's the current state of hardware and gaming in terms of hardware?

BottomsUp

Gawd
I've been gaming a long time and have not upgraded my i6700K since it came out in early 2016. I've upgraded my card a few times and am now with a 1080Ti but i remember upgrading every 2 years max back in the day. Even at 1440p gaming it feels like faster CPUs just aren't that important anymore?

I've been gaming a long time and have not upgraded my i6700K since it came out in early 2016. I've upgraded my card a few times and am now with a 1080Ti but i remember upgrading every 2 years max back in the day. Even at 1440p gaming it feels like faster CPUs just aren't that important anymore?
1440p and up is more dependent on the gpu. if you have a 4/8 cpu and up that can do 4GHz your good.

I remember back around the SKT939 Single core to dual core Athlon days I was upgrading my CPU every 6 months or so. Went from a single core Athlon64 3500+ through several others to a Opteron 180 in no time at all it seemed. GPUs were upgraded maybe every 18 months.

Since 2009 however, I upgrade a CPU every 6-7 year maybe? GPU upgrades maybe every 3-4 years unless they fail. Yeah the hardware mostly has outstripped the software by a large margin.

Same boat but 1080 GTX. I'm going to get a 3XXX Ti when they drop, and I WANT to upgrade the motherboard/CPU, but I can't see a huge reason to. I've got the urge to build an uber gaming system, but 1440p and VR... everything still runs fine?

Just watch Phil's Computer Lab on YouTube and watch all the $10- $40 Ebay CPUs from the last 10 years or more that can average 40-60FPS+ no problem.

Last leap was 1080ti, we are waiting for a gpu that shifts what's considered a cpu bottleneck bc 4c has been and still is fine. 160fps @ 1440p or 240fps @ 1080p with low graphics settings in an fps is easy to build from multiple routes. Maintaining dead flat frametime is boring as an exercise.

Back