Whats the Correct way to install windows

fightingfi

2[H]4U
Install 10 first got, do i install all windows update after that first or go to motherboard drivers then finish off with updates from MS? Does it really matter what order the whole process goes in ?

would like your HONEST and Best way of installing windows,drivers etc..

Tankies in Advance :D

Step 0) Download latest drivers for everything to USB drive
Step 1) Make sure your Windows 10 installation media has the newest version of the Windows 10 install
(Friend of mine screwed this us recently. Turns out new Nvidia drivers won't even install on an unpatched original version of Windows 10!)
2) Install Windows 10 while network cable is unplugged. Because F Microsoft trying to use a Live account for setup. Also sometimes Windows Udate manages to install old drivers for shit before you can install the new drivers.
3) Install all drivers, reboot as requested. Use the following order: Chipset, IME, USB/Thunderbolt, audio, GPU, webcams, whatever
4) Connect to Internet and run Windows Update

Last edited:
Step 2 mentioned above: yes good idea to leave net connection unplugged but if it is plugged in don't worry about the MS tagged email login crap, you can hit skip on that screen and use a localized login.

I'd say use the default drivers included with WIndows 10 as much as you can, then hit Windows Update and use the ones it provides if they're available save for one type:

The only drivers I would recommend you not use from Windows Update are display drivers, but every other driver I can't see any issues with using the ones provided by Windows Update because they are absolutely certified as stable by Microsoft in testing once they're provided by the makers of the hardware. The reason I say not to use (at least not after you've got the OS installed and up and running, that is, because for that temporary period of time the included drivers or the ones provided by WIndows Update will work fine) is because a) video drivers are updated probably more frequently than any other type (due to games and fixing compatibility with older ones and adding new features as new ones are released) but also b) the video drivers you get from Windows Update do not include any extras like a "control center" (neither the Radeon one or whatever the hell they call it now) nor the Nvidia one.

It's true that there could be some improvement in performance with some other drivers depending on the situation, like potentially the storage controller driver which could address problems and again potentially improve performance but that's somewhat rare to see any actual performance increase. Most storage driver updates are for increasing stability more than anything else because they are so crucial to system operation - if your storage device can't read and write data properly for a disk-based operating system, well, that's just not gonna work. :)

Same thing with chipset drivers, they rare;y improve performance to any noticeable or even measurable degrees but are designed to keep things stable and quash bugs when they come along. Windows Update rarely has new Intel chipset drivers since the ones included with the default Windows 10 installation media are proven to be rock solid and stable (and dated from 2006 in some instances, or 2009/2010) - it won't hurt to install newer chipset drivers for items like Broadwell and Skylake and other new hardware that has come out or came out about the time Windows 10 did (mid 2015) and worth updating from Intel's website directly. Here's a tip for those as well:

If you do have an Intel chipset based machine, get the latest Chipset Software INF installer from Intel's website but make sure to get the executable version, the .exe file. Once you've downloaded it, open a Command Prompt in the directory/folder where the .exe is located (hold Shift and right-click in the directory/folder and choose Open command window here) and execute it with this additional switch:

SetupChipset.exe -overall (then press Enter)

That -overall switch forces the chipset INF installer to update ALL the INF files for Intel related hardware in the system to the very latest ones available so, don't be surprised if you start hearing that "dunk dunk" sound of new hardware being detected after you reboot - it's working properly because it's now using updated more current "drivers" (INF files aren't really drivers, to be honest, but the principle holds). If you just execute the .exe installer normally with a double-click on it you'll only get a few INF files updated and not all of them (which is like 20+ on most Intel-based hardware configurations).

AMD never supplies chipset drivers to Windows Update and neither does Nvidia so those must be downloaded direct from their respective websites as needed so that's a must for proper (and well performing) system operation anyway.

Network drivers are the same way: an updated network driver isn't about suddenly boosting network performance, it's just to improve stability more than anything else, even Wi-Fi drivers but there are times when it's possible that a particular update or version can have some issues with specific aspects like WPA encryption problems, WPS support, etc. While I'm not a fan of jumping on every damned driver update that comes along - when you have a system that just works, leave it alone (from the driver perspective, at least) - sometimes an update is actually meant to be installed to cover issues that were discovered but it's not very often that performance increases, only stability.

So, my recommendation is to use the drivers provided with Windows 10 and then use those provided by Windows Update for the hardware if they're available as some items (notably Broadcom Bluetooth/security/network devices, some Ricoh card reader drivers, and others that by license cannot be distributed by Windows Update nor will the manufacturers actually provide them to Microsoft). Use the video drivers included with Windows 10 and Windows Update (if necessary) until you get the system up and running and functional and then grab the latest ones from AMD or Nvidia or even Intel as required depending on your GPU of choice. Most everything else will probably be better off using the certified stable drivers provided by Windows Update if they happen to exist.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Step 0) Download latest drivers for everything to USB drive
Step 1) Make sure your Windows 10 installation media has the newest version of the Windows 10 install
(Friend of mine screwed this us recently. Turns out new Nvidia drivers won't even install on an unpatched original version of Windows 10!)
2) Install Windows 10 while network cable is unplugged. Because F Microsoft trying to use a Live account for setup. Also sometimes Windows Udate manages to install old drivers for shit before you can install the new drivers.
3) Install all drivers, reboot as requested. Use the following order: Chipset, IME, USB/Thunderbolt, audio, GPU, webcams, whatever
4) Connect to Internet and run Windows Update
You can set up a local account with the network connection plugged in.

Microsoft also will download updates during setup that are released to fix installation errors. While it may work fine for many users, it may not be a good idea to recommend unplugging the cable during install for all users.

Microsoft also will download updates during setup that are released to fix installation errors

Presuming this happens, unfortunately it doesn't download the huge "Threshold 2" update. I wish Windows was more like Linux and could simply download ALL of the updates during install.

Presuming this happens, unfortunately it doesn't download the huge "Threshold 2" update. I wish Windows was more like Linux and could simply download ALL of the updates during install.

You can download the latest image, at least while it's free, from Microsoft and it just installs a cumulative update. From start to finish using a flash drive, installing Windows 10 and getting it updated took only 15 minutes on my sig rig. Of course the 750 had a lot to do with that. But yeah, get the media creation tool and get the latest image. That's going to change next week with the Anniversary Update. I'm guessing that tool will still be available but that it won't activate without a purchased Windows 10 key after Friday.

Back