Whats the cheapest, fastest 6800GT to get?

BurntToast

2[H]4U
A buddy of mine has a BFG 6800GT and he has flashed it to a Ultra and all the shaders and pipelines are enabled. I'd like to do the same, but I would also like to save as much cash as possible.

So what card should I be looking for and what place has them on a good deal?

BTW I'm relatively new on the subject, so I'll be checking up on the forums for more information.

Um, the GT has exactly the same number of pipelines and shader thingies as the Ultra does. The cores are identical. The only difference is the cooler, the power hookup thingies, the vcore (1.3 for GT, 1.4 for Ultra) and the (generally) faster memory on the Ultra.

To answer your question, they are all about the same price. PNY models are supposed to be good overclockers and might be a couple bucks cheaper?

I say go with the BFG 6800 GT OC. I found mine at chumbo.com for 399.99. Shipping was free, but overnight was only 5 dollars. So I overnighted it.

It IS the fastest stock 6800 GT available.

Currently my BFG 6800 GT is at 440 / 1.150 using a Artic Cooler NV 5 SIlencer. I loaded the BFG 6800 Ultra OC bios , but I edited it to keep the voltage at 1.3 while in 3D. Why? It seems as though my card prefers 1.3 to 1.4 (after much testing). I suspect that the card cannot supply enough power for 1.4v / 440 core operation.

Personally, I would avoid PNY cards like the plague. It seems that PNY is back up to their old ways these days.

My PNY 6800GT is fine. I bought it about 2 months ago and it's never been a problem.

Back