What's the cheapest 1.5TB 7200RPM 32MB buffer drive I can find?

Right now, there's only one 1.5TB 7200RPM drive on the market, the 'Cuda 7200.11. They're pretty common on ad specials and the like. Be reasonably patient and follow the [H]ot Deals forum, they come up pretty often.

Right now, there's only one 1.5TB 7200RPM drive on the market, the 'Cuda 7200.11. They're pretty common on ad specials and the like. Be reasonably patient and follow the [H]ot Deals forum, they come up pretty often.

and you're SURE of that are you?

There are at least 4. Two Seagate drives, a WD, and a Samsung. Hitachi isn't far behind either, they're about to release a 7200rpm 2TB drive, so 1.5TB should follow shortly thereafter.

I guessing that's what BuBBa did as well. Though, these days I don't think the difference between 5400 and 7200 is all that significant for 90% of people using these drives. I would imagine that most are using drives this big for storage.

A pretty reliable source tells me that Hitachi's 2TB drive is coming Real Soon Now, and there's one repeatedly parroted rumor around the news sites that at least samples of a 2TB Caviar Black exist. The 1.5TB 'Cuda 7200.11 uses a four disk / eight head assembly, while the 7200.12 has 500GB disks. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that if you put these two factors together, you'd get a 2TB drive. I don't have any info on a >1TB 7200RPM drive from Samsung, although that doesn't prove they're not working on it ;)

Barracuda 7200.11 is still the biggest 7200RPM drive you can buy, although that won't be true for very much longer.

Retail on the Hitachi 2TB is $200 too. I like lower prices. :)

I might just be willing to jump on that, if that's what it actually retails at. I've never been a big Hitachi fan, but I've give them a go if the price is right.

Back