Whats the chances of GTA V going over 4gb VRAM @ 1440p?

Well looks like 4gb should be fine I'm guessing for 1440. Prob with mods more.

Turned up to work today, now just gotta wait till i finish to install it!.

20150401_133443.jpg

What no card pics of that gigabyte titan x?? I want to know if it uses the same cooling as the 980.

I really hope NVIDIA puts out an 8GB 980Ti. To me that is the sweet spot. 12GB to me is overkill.

Yea 8 will be the sweet spot IMO, although It's definitely gonna be 6 or titan x woulda been 16GB

Yeah 12 is overkill especially for me at 2560x1440. But I wanted a GPU before GTA, and as mentioned here in this thread, getting 4gb wouldn't be a smart move in my opinion.

I'm more concerned about texture pop in when moving at really high speeds. I wouldn't be surprised if the game uses up 6gb+ on a titan x at 1080p, but that doesn't mean the game can't run optimally on a 2gb card, after all the ps4 only has around 5gb of useable ram (unified). My guess is the game will rely heavily on streaming from the hdd on the fly and only caching files in vram/ram that will be accessed frequently. An ssd paired with adequate system Ram should be enough for texture streaming with bandwidth and latency as a bottleneck. I wonder if pci-e bandwidth has an effect on draw distances and texture loading...

Last edited:
Yea 8 will be the sweet spot IMO, although It's definitely gonna be 6 or titan x woulda been 16GB

I think due to the 256bit memory bus of the 980, the 980Ti would be 8gb opposed to the Titan X 384bit memory bus.

I think due to the 256bit memory bus of the 980, the 980Ti would be 8gb opposed to the Titan X 384bit memory bus.
No the 980 Ti is rumored to be based off the same GM200 as Titan X so it will likely be 384 bit which means 6 GB.

No the 980 Ti is rumored to be based off the same GM200 as Titan X so it will likely be 384 bit which means 6 GB.

It pretty much has to be. 980 is already the full GM204 chip, so no headroom there.

hahaha how wrong most ppl here were! : I could hit 3.5GB @ 1080p if my card had 4GB. GTA will eat as much VRAM as you got, even at modest rez!

I've hit 4.8gb at 2560x1440, so glad i got the Titan X and not the 980.

May be the whole "allocated memory shenanigan"

*prays the name of the GTX980Ti will be called GTX990*

The stupid TI scheme pisses me off for some reason lmao

I've hit 4.8gb at 2560x1440, so glad i got the Titan X and not the 980.

May be the whole "allocated memory shenanigan"

I have to admit, with all settings maxed and 4x AA on my GTX 980 @ 1440P - I can't say I wish I spent all that extra money for that extra bump in AA. :p

I have to admit, with all settings maxed and 4x AA on my GTX 980 @ 1440P - I can't say I wish I spent all that extra money for that extra bump in AA. :p

Its not extra aa doing it. Talking 4x msaa. You can't have all options turned on in the advanced section as well as all the sliders maxed in there on a 980, that just ain't true

Yep, no way it's playable. Heck even with all settings maxed (and I do mean maxed) and no AA in 1440p a GTX 980 doesn't get a very good framerate at all. Playable to some people maybe but not to me.

Ultra grass and PCSS shadows (+ high res shadows option) are very demanding when you leave the city and go to places with a lot of grass/trees. And if you add MSAA into the mix the performance tanks horribly.

Its not extra aa doing it. Talking 4x msaa. You can't have all options turned on in the advanced section as well as all the sliders maxed in there on a 980, that just ain't true

You just have to turn down the extended draw distance scaling a couple ticks from the highest. Reflection AA turned one tick too. Basically something that you'd be hard pressed to spot any difference in. I've experimented with the extended draw distance setting and can't spot the visual impact between that setting halfway and maxed. If there are any screenshots showing the differences I'd like to see'm. I'd be really surprised if exceeding the game's limits a few MB would do anything dramatic if you really wanted to max it with a couple GTX 980's.

You just have to turn down the extended draw distance scaling a couple ticks from the highest. Reflection AA turned one tick too. Basically something that you'd be hard pressed to spot any difference in. I've experimented with the extended draw distance setting and can't spot the visual impact between that setting halfway and maxed. If there are any screenshots showing the differences I'd like to see'm. I'd be really surprised if exceeding the game's limits a few MB would do anything dramatic if you really wanted to max it with a couple GTX 980's.

This link shows a lot of the settings comparisons for GTAV.

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/gu...#grand-theft-auto-v-extended-distance-scaling

There are some differences in extended draw distance, but it doesn't seem to drastic. The only time you could probably easily tell a difference would be when you are flying around. If driving, it's not so noticeable.

To each his own but it's one of those settings I'd never accept to tune down :p I do love flying for that matter :)

Back