What's the best way to protect your PC online?

Prozac1964

Limp Gawd
Hi everyone, I'm wondering what's the best way to protect you PC online? Recently, I was zapped by some Malware off a website, and it destroyed my computer.

Currently I use, AVG anti virus, SpyBot S&D for spyware, Malwarbytes, and just in case, Rkill. In the recent case...I couldn't even get to Rkill fast enough to run Malwarebytes. It had already changed all my exe files into lkn files. Nothing would open.

Well, I'm back up and running, but I'm wondering if I can ever really be safe from these attacks?

So what do you think is the best way or best software that will keep a person from getting hacked?

Thanks, Prozac :)

Anything other than AVG. Stay clear of Avira too. Avast is very good, MS Security Essentials, Comodo, Nod32, Kaspersky, others.

Malwarebytes and spybot are great keep those. And for virus/firewall/internet security I personally use Comodo. It's free, fully customizable, 64 bit option, fantastic parallel processing, and it keeps my system super clean. Coupled with an SSD you can max out all 8 threads on an i7 running a scan without bogging system down, it's awesome.

*but most of the good ones have on-access background file scanning. So as soon as something hits your system it picks it up right away.

Last edited:
Hmmm...AVG was recommended to me by a seasoned PC technician. He said it was good and did not take up near the system resources as Norton or McAffee etc.

What's your take on that, and what would you pick if you had to run a free anti virus that didn't bog you down. You can see below that my specs are modest.

Thanks for all the nice software you suggested.

I've been using Avast for a few years now... Avira and AVG before that...

(IIRC AVG was having too much trouble with conflicting with other stuff...)

I put Comodo on the machines I build for people, unless they request Avast. Avast uses more resources, Comodo is more lightweight.

Your friend was right in the way of AVG not taking up resources and it will do it's job in a very simple way which is probably what he was trying to provide for you. It is though like buying a Ford Focus. Basic and economical but there's much better available.

Last edited:
Excellent, thanks for the info. Would you happen to know how most people get Malware on their computers?

I think I got it from attempting to download a video playing software.....smooth criminal. I'm going to research this Comodo.

I was just at the Comodo site and they offer: internet security, antivirus, firewall, system cleaner, and Comodo backup. Which of these should I get?

No problem, fishy sites usually, it gets easier to spot them before clicking on them after a while. And any kind of torrenting/file sharing services can have lots of viruses.

Do you remember where you downloaded that video? For safe web surfing there are some like McAfee and I think Kaspersky does this too they have some sort of site filtering verification system that gives you green check marks next to safe sites and red ones next to known bad sites. Something like this is very good for some people that are just getting used surfing all over the web.

If you get the Comodo go for the free internet security one. You may want to disable "defense & sandbox" at first, leaving just Firewall & Antivirus. The other two make your system much more secure but they can be annoying while it's learning your habits. It's fantastic but if you find it a little too complex I would go for Microsoft Security Essentials. It has a great rep for being very good and also simple. :)

Back