What's the best way to network my Powerbook to my PC?

Nobi125

[H]ard|Gawd
I have been networking my Powerbook to my PC for some time using My Network Places and adding the Powerbook as a network place.

The Network Place interface is very clunky and a pain to deal with.

I recently made an external HD and want to get some things off my laptop's hard drive.

Since it's formatted in NTFS, the Powerbook can't write to it (Gotta love that sweet OSX technology :rolleyes: :p )

So I am transferring files from the Powerbook through the PC and onto the external hard drive. This method is working, but it super slow and amazingly annoying to work with since it takes around 6-8 seconds to select a file on the Mac hard drive after clicking on it.

I was wondering if there was a better way to do what I'm trying to do.

Thanks.

nobi125 said:
(Gotta love that sweet OSX technology :rolleyes: :p )
Just in case you didn't know: The only reason OS X cannot write to NTFS drives, is because the NTFS format isn't open. Basically, the only operating system with decent NTFS support, is Windows itself.

Black Morty Rackham said:
Just in case you didn't know: The only reason OS X cannot write to NTFS drives, is because the NTFS format isn't open. Basically, the only operating system with decent NTFS support, is Windows itself.

exactly - so instead of blaming apple - blame microsoft for using a closed filesystem.

OP. BTW, there's really no other way of doing this...

Why don't you format to FAT32? It's an external drive... over USB, there's no reason to be running NTFS unless you've got really huge files (over 4 GiB) in size.

Arcygenical said:
OP. BTW, there's really no other way of doing this...

Why don't you format to FAT32? It's an external drive... over USB, there's no reason to be running NTFS unless you've got really huge files (over 4 GiB) in size.

I've got several files larger than 4gb on it, or I would have done FAT32.

It's an ESata or USB drive as well.

Thx for answering my question though.

The NTFS write support available in Linux now is pretty damn good... no idea why Apple doesn't support it yet as it makes my dual boot a bitch to manage.

You could use HFS+ and something like Macdrive for Windows compatibility. Or, if you want a free alternative, UFS. It works in Mac OS X by default, and with some free third party tools in Windows, I believe.

You could use HFS+ and something like Macdrive for Windows compatibility. Or, if you want a free alternative, UFS. It works in Mac OS X by default, and with some free third party tools in Windows, I believe.

Probably your best bet...

Back