What's the best way to copy a hardrive to another hardrive?

haroldmeyer

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a 80gb WD that I want to copy to a 200gb WD(boot drive), what is the best,and fastest way to copy it over? I've used the software that comes with the HD but it dosen't ever seem to work right. I can't get the comp to boot after I put the copy in as the boot drive.I've got Norton Ghost and I can't get it to work for me either.(maybe operator error)
I've defragged the 80gb and "prepped" it in the best way I know how, and I still can't get it to copy good enough to boot my comp. Any suggestions?

This may seem complicated but it works and costed nothing but some time...
Copy software alone does not always copy the startup boot files as they should.

Just recently did this. Moved my OS boot drive C: from one small drive to another bigger one. All I did was use Windows backup. I used the ASR (automated system recovery option) that requires a floppy to be made and then the backup file.
Since I already had a 2nd hard drive I copied the large backup file there. I then hooked up my new system drive as a slave on another port. I set it up using computer management. I rebooted with the floppy disk went to my backup file on the second drive and told it to restore the OS to the new system drive. After, I shut the system down and switched the drives out on the motherboard. Turned it on, made sure the BIOS detected it properly in its setup.

Requires:
1 floppy disk
2nd hard drive big enough for the backup file
Windows XP Professional

Done and works nicely.

haroldmeyer, what version of Ghost you got ?

This is important because WindowsXP compatibility is only fully certain with Ghost 7.5 or Ghost 2003. Older ones cannot ghost NTFS partitions.

I've got the 2003 version so I'll be alright.
Thanks everybody I'm gonna give it another shot.

Back