What's the best thing about a Moto X

techtechie

Gawd
I am absolutely fascinated by the Moto x. I don't yet own one but i am definitely a future owner. What amazes me the most is its screen size to device size ratio. a 4.7 inch screen on a phone that is 5.10 inches tall. I just want to get personal feedback of current owners of the device. So what makes the Moto X better in your opinion than any other smartphone.

It's a tough call, but I'd say Active Display. It not only gives you a quick peek at what's on your phone, it saves you one step when unlocking the device; you don't have to hit the wake button.

I wouldn't call it better than any other phone in absolute terms, though. There are faster devices, and there are ones with features that will be more appealing to some people. I just find it a good all-round device, especially if you want something that's easy to use one-handed.

Software: Active Display

Construction: Soft rounded corners, a convex back contribute to a comfortable fit in the contours of your relaxed palm, has a non-slip surface and sides, feels solid, and is quite beautiful to look at. You're going to be tempted not to put it in a case. I use a screen protector plus a pouch.

Last edited:
having it in a case and under a screen protector is a must for me. im such a tightwad that the American dollar to me is double its value LOL. thank you btw

So anyone know a good holster for this that won't either drop the phone out, or fall off of the belt? Everything I try has a weak clip, and I don't want something that has loops that makes me take off my belt every time I put the holster on. I have a case-mate for the iphone 3 that has great strong clips, but have yet to find that on other aftermarket holsters for other phones.

I picked up a new smartphone recently and narrowed it down to 2 choices, the Moto X being one of them. Almost pulled the trigger on it but ended up getting the LG G2 instead. My impression of the Moto X is that it's great because it as an "all arounder". Meaning it is not the best in any one area but has no real weaknesses. It reminds me of an Apple product in terms of smart design, excellent performance, and not the highest end hardware.

It's a tough call, but I'd say Active Display. It not only gives you a quick peek at what's on your phone, it saves you one step when unlocking the device; you don't have to hit the wake button.

I wouldn't call it better than any other phone in absolute terms, though. There are faster devices, and there are ones with features that will be more appealing to some people. I just find it a good all-round device, especially if you want something that's easy to use one-handed.

There are faster phones if you compare useless benchmark numbers yes, but with the software optimizations of the X, I'd say it's one of the smoothest operating Android phones on the market - minimal "jank" unlike Samsung which bloats their phones more and more with each update

It doesn't have the proximity sensor issues the N4 and N5 have.

Hahaha. They still haven't fixed this? I had the same issues on my Galaxy Nexus.

As for the OP - Active Notifications are a game changer. If you want stock android with minimal enhancements, this is the phone for you.

Active Display as mentioned
Touchless Control (especially useful when driving)
Excellent ergonomics
Bluetooth trusted devices
Best cellular signal quality amongst all phones
Excellent real world performance due to tweaks like F2FS file system
Currently great pricing ($330 or $300 with coupon that expires end of tomorrow EST, +$50 for 32GB, +$25 for a wood back)

A lot of this stuff kind of falls on the intangible side of things like signal quality and flash memory performance, you have to more or less experience it and compare it to other phones to really appreciate it.

At this point the Moto X and the LG G2 (and I guess Nexus 5) are the normal sized phones to beat, in that order.

There are faster phones if you compare useless benchmark numbers yes, but with the software optimizations of the X, I'd say it's one of the smoothest operating Android phones on the market - minimal "jank" unlike Samsung which bloats their phones more and more with each update

Think you're arguing against an opponent that doesn't really exist. :)

I know the Moto X is super-smooth, and for most cases it's just as fast. It's just that there will be a few instances where that matters (gaming, certain forms of image processing). If you're a no-sacrifices type, you'd go for something like the Nexus 5 or G2.

Well i must say i accomplished all i wanted with this thread. now im convinced that theres really no other option for a new phone. absolutely positive im gonna get one :) :) :) :) oh and stock android that basically is the deal sealer. i have the moto g and the stock experience is the shit

Well i must say i accomplished all i wanted with this thread. now im convinced that theres really no other option for a new phone. absolutely positive im gonna get one :) :) :) :) oh and stock android that basically is the deal sealer. i have the moto g and the stock experience is the shit

I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on whether the Moto X is worth the cost over the Moto G. I went with the Moto G about a month ago as the price difference at the time didn't seem worth it to me. I'm happy enough with the Moto G, but keep thinking about it with the current price cut.

I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on whether the Moto X is worth the cost over the Moto G. I went with the Moto G about a month ago as the price difference at the time didn't seem worth it to me. I'm happy enough with the Moto G, but keep thinking about it with the current price cut.

No LTE on Moto G right?

The moto g is an awesome device, the experience of it is damn good, meaning stock android. but what where i think the moto x is better is as follows
camera: 5mp vs. 10mp
weight: 5.04 vs. 4.59 ounces
screen: 4.5 vs 4.7 inches considering that the Moto x is actually a tiny bit smaller
resolution: 720p (30fps) vs. 1080p (60fps) might not even matter
Ram: 1gb vs. 2gb

The moto g is an awesome device, the experience of it is damn good, meaning stock android. but what where i think the moto x is better is as follows
camera: 5mp vs. 10mp
weight: 5.04 vs. 4.59 ounces
screen: 4.5 vs 4.7 inches considering that the Moto x is actually a tiny bit smaller
resolution: 720p (30fps) vs. 1080p (60fps) might not even matter
Ram: 1gb vs. 2gb

You could always read or watch a review, y'know. :)

Also, the Moto X screen resolution is 720p. It can record videos in 1080p, but you won't see them at full resolution on the phone itself.

You could always read or watch a review, y'know. :)

Also, the Moto X screen resolution is 720p. It can record videos in 1080p, but you won't see them at full resolution on the phone itself.

you know thats just one guy's view whose doing that cuz its his job ;) i was looking for more personal experience between a sample group.

I'm a phone whore... you name it, I've owned and used it.

Currently I carry a Moto X and in my opinion it is by far the best of the reasonable size Android phones. Sure there are better phones... in various departments of functionality, but none that I've used yet that work as well as the Moto X in all aspects.

It's sort of like the iPhone to me... it just works well. Period. It's not the biggest, the fastest, the flashiest, etc. But what it does provide is consistency, useful functionality and reliability.

Bottom line: get a Moto X if you want to run Android

The overall build quality of the device is superb and the Active Display is really handy.

I bought one a few days ago and enjoy it . The other moto enhancements are fine as well; the twist to start camera function and hands off voice controls. Totally great additions that amazingly don't seem to kill battery life; although I've yet to turn them off.

Pros:
Active Display
Price
Close to stock android
So far pretty quick updates 4.4 or 4.4.2
Twist to go to camera
Good customer service - My first phone had a bad screen (flickering). Because it was a custom phone, I got advance replacement. They gave me a code to make a new phone and have it shipped to me overnight.

Average:
Battery life, it's only ~2200mah battery. You can burn through it on 4G and actual usuage. Standby life is pretty good though. I wish they made a 3000mah version for GSM carriers (like droid maxx).

Bad:
Both cameras.
- Front Camera software seems to add vertical lines to photos.
- Back camera is too aggressive on white balance and is not any better in low light despite some what larger sensor. Overall photos just don't look that good.

Last edited:
Assembled in USA and more American jobs, best thing about it. Unfortunately, most of the internal parts come from elsewhere.

Actually just bought one myself during the sale and I like it so far, but going back down in screen size from 5.5 is hard to swallow. Wood back looks awesome but doesn't feel as good as it looks. Small battery is noticeable too when you run music over LTE all day on top of other normal activities. Will keep using it through the valentine's day weekend to see if I want to keep it, return it, or exchange for a regular plastic back. Even the plastic ones have two different textures, the lighter colors are smoother than the dark shades.

Ok i bought one now im thinking i basically stole it. i paid 145 off contract shipped to my door. It still has original screen protector on it. grreat price eh? :)

Ok i bought one now im thinking i basically stole it. i paid 145 off contract shipped to my door. It still has original screen protector on it. grreat price eh? :)

bought from a store? or private seller? Link me please if possible -- in the market for a new phone to replace my aging galaxy nexus.

That's a good deal, but I personally couldn't buy a used moto x. One of the biggest selling points to me was customizing it to your own exact liking through motomaker. That and other reasons.

well i was thinking that when wording my post lol. i dont want to be a bitch with other people but if it turns out with bad esn i can still sell and profit even though its what people call a "blood phone" on ebay forums or whatever they call it over there.

bought from a store? or private seller? Link me please if possible -- in the market for a new phone to replace my aging galaxy nexus.

I came from a Galaxy Nexus -> Nexus 5 -> Moto X. Couldn't be happier.

You know how when you hold something it feels like it's worth your money? That's exactly how the Moto X feels like especially when you customized yours. N5 for me is just like oh a very fast phone. The Moto X puts a smile on my face. If you love the feel of your GNex, you'll love the Moto X.

I came from a Galaxy Nexus -> Nexus 5 -> Moto X. Couldn't be happier.

You know how when you hold something it feels like it's worth your money? That's exactly how the Moto X feels like especially when you customized yours. N5 for me is just like oh a very fast phone. The Moto X puts a smile on my face. If you love the feel of your GNex, you'll love the Moto X.

That is why I love the Moto X, too. It feels perfect in the hand. I'm very frustrated with how every new phone is larger and less comfortable to hold than the last. I hope the 2014 update keeps the same size and shape.

hmm.. very tempted... my note 2 is flailing =/

but my sticking point is the smaller battery. ... grr...

What amazes me the most is its screen size to device size ratio. a 4.7 inch screen on a phone that is 5.10 inches tall.

The LG G2 is a 5.2 inch screen on a phone that is 5.45 inches tall, which technically is a higher screen to phone ratio.

The LG G2 is a 5.2 inch screen on a phone that is 5.45 inches tall, which technically is a higher screen to phone ratio.

not the point i was trying to make, G2 has the best ratio of all phones, but 5.45 is too damn big. for me anyways

My Asian hands dealt with an optimus g pro one handed just fine with a little bit of palm manipulation. The extra 0.1 inch on the note 3 and the back button being on the right side of the phone was my breaking point on one handed use though. That being said the amount of holding position finagling is minimal with the moto x, haven't tried a G2 without those demo unit tethers to say whether I could do the same with it. Moto assist in driving mode is a godsend though that I will not give up easily.

Touchless control, It's not like Siri or EDWIN In where you have to push the home button to have the phone listen to a command. Most of the trigger commands are bound to the phone owner's voice only and can receive commands while in sleep mode. The Nexus 5 unfortunately lacks this feature. Which is the reason why most don't even mention it.

Any current Moto X users see the latest news on the GS5, Sony Z2 ?

I have a GS3 and desperately want to upgrade. I really like being able to customize the Moto X and have it soon, but don't want immediate buyers remorse with all these new phones coming down the Spring pipe.

Do they blow MotoX out of the water? (especially when I can get the 16GB Moto X through VZW for $75 with wood back) w/ contract.

I'd say the X is a batter Nexus than the Nexus. Also a pro - the stock rom is good enough, you don't need to root or mess with custom roms, some of which I guess won't have the special software features. Motorola has frequent sales on it too.

Any current Moto X users see the latest news on the GS5, Sony Z2 ?

I have a GS3 and desperately want to upgrade. I really like being able to customize the Moto X and have it soon, but don't want immediate buyers remorse with all these new phones coming down the Spring pipe.

Do they blow MotoX out of the water? (especially when I can get the 16GB Moto X through VZW for $75 with wood back) w/ contract.

Moto X2 will be out late summer (twitter). As we're about to get into March, I'd probably wait the five or so months for the X2 or the GS5 if I was going to use up my contract upgrade for something long-term. Motorola is offering a $0.01 contract promotion right now with VZ and X though, so that's also not a bad deal.

Back