What's the best storyline in game history?

Dragonball Z/GT. You have to watch every episode and every season in sequential order from start to finish to realize the grandeur of the whole plot. It's very much like Death Note; I would say on the same grandness and excellence in originality and design.

I ask for selfish reasons, my son is a gamer, but he tends to skip dialogue and goes for the action. His favorite game is TF2, just to give a baseline.

I would like to get him caught up in a game like I got caught up in them as a child. I would love to see him get lost in the story, and not just spam to get past the in game dialogues.
Encourage him to watch the "Meet The..." videos on each class, the humour might help him appreciate a back story, which you can work from there. You could also try a whodunnit game like Heavy Rain or LA Noire that demand paying attention to the story.

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Mass Effect 1-3
God of War 1-3
Metal Gear Solid - series

Stalker
Myth TFL & II
(Myth III has a good story but I don't count it a game as much as a realistic keyboard snapping simulator.)

Coincidentally, both inspired by really good stories themselves.

Also I know I'll catch some flack for this, but some games just excel as pure action (not mindless action, just... unencumbered action) and there ain't no bit a nuthin wrong with that. See UT99. The "backstory" was the 2nd worst thing to happen to TF2. You know what the 1st worst thing was.

Wing Commander IV was epic. All the old Lucasarts adventure games had phenomenal stories. (Day of the Tentacle comes to mind.)

As for recent games, Mass Effect 1 and The Walking Dead had great stories.

Grim Fandango, hands down. I have never come across anything like it again what so ever.

The Longest Journey.

I, also, really liked Icewind Dale 1 & 2. My name gives that away.

Star Wars KOTOR

I was going to suggest Spec Ops: The Line which has a very good narrative and story layout, but then I saw it was for your son. Depending on his age you might not want to traumatize him...

I ask for selfish reasons, my son is a gamer, but he tends to skip dialogue and goes for the action. His favorite game is TF2, just to give a baseline.

I would like to get him caught up in a game like I got caught up in them as a child. I would love to see him get lost in the story, and not just spam to get past the in game dialogues.

How old is your son?

I had plenty of friends growing up that just didn't care about dialogue or story one bit, and simply enjoyed action games.

Maybe he's just too young to appreciate a game with an in depth story?

Does he read? If so, he may find the story's in games to be trite.

Or maybe you're just so good of a parent he doesn't need to escape into a video game's story the way you enjoyed too as a child?

plansescape torment and mask of the betrayer.

for shooter types
deus ex
undying
system shock 2
XIII
NOLF 1 & 2
vampire bloodlines

Wing Commander IV was epic. All the old Lucasarts adventure games had phenomenal stories. (Day of the Tentacle comes to mind.)

As for recent games, Mass Effect 1 and The Walking Dead had great stories.

"The strong shall survive!"

Wing Commander III is pretty awesome too, but I think my allegiance lies with Descent Freespace, that game nailed both completely inhuman aliens and also making the character feel like a very small, but very important piece of a very large conflict.

Also think Red Alert, KOTOR 1 & 2, any of Biowares PC RPGs deserve mention.

Also, Morrowind, and all the backstory lore in Elder Scrolls.

Also, Tachyon: The Fringe.

The Legacy of Kain series (Blood Omen, Soul Reaver, Soul Reaver 2, Blood Omen 2, Legacy of Kain Defiance; in that order) is hands-down the best story. Sadly, it is still unfinished.

It does take some thought to fully understand it, though.

+10000000000 yes! I had faith that we would see the next one soon.....but I've lost all hope

Planescape Torment
Mass Effect 1, 2, and 3
Knights of the Old Republic (2 was good also)
Deus Ex and Deus Ex - Human Revolution
Mafia II
The Witcher 1 and 2

Grim Fandango, hands down. I have never come across anything like it again what so ever.

Grim Fandando is the best game I have ever played I suggest everyone who has not played it please do.

If that game were re-released in hd I would buy it all over again on steam ps3 ps4 whatever. I would buy and Xbox one just for playing this game over again. It's a Shane it didn't get the sales and disappeared.

Hell, Grim Fandando would make a great iPad/tablet game.

Last edited:
FF6
Super Mario RPG
Not a lot of talking in it but the *story* of Super Metroid is cool (and the game is awesome)
Xenogears
Xenosaga
Chrono Trigger
Mass Effect Series
Half-Life Series

**FF7 is fail have him play one from snes era first, as they required reading and imagination rather than crappy fmv to tell the story**

Knights of the Old Republic.

Chrono Trigger

Half Life games

And though the games are pretty derivative, the Halo series is pretty good. Could get him into reading too which is a bonus.

Advent Rising! Story by Orson Scott Card.

Wish they made the 2 and 3...

Last edited:
I thought Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire was pretty dope but can't remember much of it now. :eek: :(

Spec Ops: The Line has the best story line of any game I've played. I also really enjoyed the story line for the Mass Effect series.

I thought Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire was pretty dope but can't remember much of it now. :eek: :(

that's a game i've not heard of in a long time! it takes place during the huge time jump between empire and jedi, but i don't remember how much of the story i remember from the game itself and how much is from other sources.

i enjoyed the jedi knight stories too. kyle katarn!

Thief I and II are outstanding. Very unique plot, setting, level design, art style/cutscenes, characters, and gameplay.

Bioware stuff is good, but if you've played one you've basically played them all. I honestly was not as impressed with Dragon Age and Mass Effect as their previous titles.

Any that the player makes themselves: Terraria, minecraft, two worlds II

If you want an actually narrative though, the more modern games cater to those who skip dialogue and read it to you audibly while you are in the action: Bioshock Infinite, Diablo 3, etc...

Another vote for Shadows of the Empire. Stellar gameplay and a great story.

I would mention the other obvious choices but that does no good. If you haven't played Shadows, it's not too late.

I'm biased because I voiced Eike in the original, but Shadow of Destiny had a pretty interesting plot involving time travel and the paradoxes therein

Syberia I/II I found to have a great emotional storoyline that I loved.

It's a pc adventure game series.

Also SAnitarium, this had one of the CREEPIEST atmospheres and stories of a video game I played.

However your son might not like adventure games or that type of narrative, maybe he just wants to play games to blow shit up.

I'd say Dragon Age Origins. Just don't let them play as a city elf, unless you don't mind letting them watch implied rape.

The best is really subjective. I think people play a game and are like "OMG BEST GAME EVER" or the internet says this is the best game.

Personally the fact that no one has mentioned Panzer Dragoon Saga yet means you fuckers need jesus.

However I think you question would be better suited to like current gen/past gen etc.

The Walking Dead
Ultima VII
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
The Longest Journey

Punch Out! 3: The Ballad of Glass Joe

Why did you highlight The Walking Dead? It had a great storyline and there's a reason it got a lot of the GOTY awards.

Back