Whats the best online music store?

burningrave101

[H]F Junkie
Where do you guys go to get your music files cheap? I'm on dial-up so i'm just looking for a large music database where i can freely download MP3's or whatever for a few cents per song or whatever it is that they cost nowadays. It looks like most are chargeing $.99 a song. Are there any services cheaper then that? Which one is the best? iTunes? Yahoo Music? And i hope i'm able to download files that are like less then 8MB each. I dont want to spend all day downloading a high bitrate song.

That is a crime against technology to have a computer like that connected to a dial-up modem!!!!

something without a DRM strategy

this post is here so Im subscribed to this little hot topic thread
and can BUST SOME HEADS
for poorly worded and inappropriate suggestions :p

fair warning

and the source previously mentioned (now deleted) is indeed warez
but you escape through the ignorance loophole :p

Organization:
XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Ivan Fedorov
Planetnaya str. 29
Moscow, 125167
RU

the RIAA just doesnt extend to Russia yet
if for any reason you are unsure of your suggestion look it up
http://www.dnsstuff.com/, research it or simply dont post it
the ignorance loophole is now closed :p

I recently joined yourmusic.com, they give you a ton of selections for $5.99 (shipped) per CD. :)

I really don't know much about the others but iTunes sample rate is 44.1 and bit rate is 128 which makes most of the files around 3 to 4.5 megabytes in size.

I have yet to acually purchase a song from them. Everyone keeps giving me their free codes from stuff and I've still got like 50 more free songs to get... :D

I did research it and everything I read said it was legal.
And your link doesnt work, might want to get that fixed.

I looked this up, and have marked out the sites name at this point in time to avoid getting banned. So no, I wasnt trying to promote warez or warez sites. I read all of this, looked to be legal to me, and then made my post.

“MP3's, OGG's, etc are not illegal in the USA and therefore can be imported. There is also no law against importing music from other countries (including Russia). Because you are buying this legally in Russia and then importing to the USA, this should be 100% legit. For example, assuming that Russian Vodka is illegal to buy in the USA on Sunday, but you buy the Russian Vodka in Moscow on Sunday, then you import it into the USA, you have done nothing wrong. Again, this assumes that 1) it is illegal to buy Russian Vodka on Sunday in the USA 2) it is legal in Moscow and 3) it is legal to import Russian Vodka.”

Title 17 Chapter 6 Sec. 602 of the U.S. Code covers “Infringing importation of copies or phonorecords”. You can find this title here

Subsection (a) tells us:

“Importation into the United States, without the authority of the owner of copyright under this title, of copies or phonorecords of a work that have been acquired outside the United States is an infringement of the exclusive right to distribute copies or phonorecords under section 106, actionable under section 501.”

So it's illegal you may think. But take a close look at sub (a)(2):

“This subsection does not apply to importation, for the private use of the importer and not for distribution, by any person with respect to no more than one copy or phonorecord of any one work at any one time, or by any person arriving from outside the United States with respect to copies or phonorecords forming part of such person's personal baggage;”

If MP3’s, OGG’s etc are in fact considered phonorecords, U.S. citizens can legally buy these as long if they are for private use and not for distribution. If MP3s, OGG’s etc. are not considered phonorecords, no import laws apply. The sections of digital audio recording and sound recording have no mention of importation.

So in layman's terms the bottom line of this discussion is:

Downloading from XXXX is legal for U.S. Citizens, as long as the files are for private use and not for distribution.

You should check out Rhapsody, I've been using their free 25 song a month service and have really enjoyed it. Its a much more streamlined and easier to use program than other music services and doesn't have all the added processes (spyware) that take up memory like itunes. I used itunes for well over a year but I've since switched to Rhapsody, also iTunes is only 128kbs while Rhapsody is 356kbs so near CD quality sound. http://www.rhapsody.com/freemusic check it out, massive selection as well.

Possibly not spyware but when I had itunes I noticed that it installed 2 seperate processes that were always on in the background (even without itunes running) call it spyware, bloatware or whatever. I don't like it when software installs processes without consent that are always on in the background without any option to switch it them off other than to go into msconfig and turn them off manually. This maybe an unpopular opinion but I'm not a fan of apple's software in the least anymore. I don't even use quicktime these days but "quicktime alternative".

OK since we seem to be dancing around a name here
we might as well spill it, if only as a public ruling
considering that 1. this is a news item
and 2. its a ruling condeming the service there isnt liability as far as I can see

so.

allofMP3 is operating out of Russia under a highly questionable Russian Copyright interpretation and they are actually under investigation or more accuratly were, the investigation having ended up with a recommendation by the Moscow City Police Computer Crimes division that they be charged with criminal copyright infringement.

http://news.com.com/MP3s+for+pennies+Russian+cops+say+no/2100-1027_3-5586034.html

point here is our servers are in Texas and we have liabilities under US law and copyright interpretation, which could be included to mean incitement to violate copyrights regardless of where the service happens to be located.

Therefor the forum ruling at this time is that linkage to and explicit recommendations of AllofMP3 is verbotten on the public forum making it yet another "open secret" we dance around, something easily found elsewhere, that we can imply but not specifically state

at least its not as bad as me having to lock a thread because a Canadian wants to format an Xbox HDD but inorder to do that he has to violate the DMCA which doesnt apply to him but does to us and he can't discuss it here :p

Law in the internet age is often nebulous, and with an international forum with multiple jurisdictions the default jurisdiction of Texas applies. As an example of how strange this can get, we can discuss DVDDycrypter a freeware application based on breaking encryption (DeCSS \ CSS) but we cannot discuss how to break that encryption specifically, or we can discuss various P2P aps and the ethics involved, but we can not discuss actually employing them in any illegal manner (in the default jurisdiction) thus even if you where is Sweden or Canada you still couldnt talk about it here.

Members are free to submit evidence (not opinion but real law) bearing on these issues that we may not be aware of, I do however keep a close eye on the Freedom Foundation, The News in general and copyright law specifically, we try to afford the membership the widest lattitude possible without unreasonable liability exposure and when in doubt the administrative staff will present our findings to Kyle for a ruling. ;)

Nightfall said:
I really don't know much about the others but iTunes sample rate is 44.1 and bit rate is 128 which makes most of the files around 3 to 4.5 megabytes in size.

I have yet to acually purchase a song from them. Everyone keeps giving me their free codes from stuff and I've still got like 50 more free songs to get... :D

Where can i get free codes from? What media format are the files that you download from iTunes? Do you have to convert them to MP3 or something before you can burn them to CD to play in a CD player?

I'm a nOOb to this stuff lol.

peacetilence said:
You should check out Rhapsody, I've been using their free 25 song a month service and have really enjoyed it. Its a much more streamlined and easier to use program than other music services and doesn't have all the added processes (spyware) that take up memory like itunes. I used itunes for well over a year but I've since switched to Rhapsody, also iTunes is only 128kbs while Rhapsody is 356kbs so near CD quality sound. http://www.rhapsody.com/freemusic check it out, massive selection as well.

25 free songs a month? Whats the catch? How are they making money off me if i get 25 free songs a month? And what are the download sizes for those 356kbs files?

I'm downloading Rhapsody now to check it out.

Rhapsody is awesome. For the mere fee of $10/month, you get unlimited songs streamed to you.

That doesn't look like what you would want on a dialup connection though. :(

NickN said:
Rhapsody is awesome. For the mere fee of $10/month, you get unlimited songs streamed to you.

That doesn't look like what you would want on a dialup connection though. :(

Yea i dont want streaming. I want full downloads that i can burn to CD if i want.

Ice Czar said:
iTunes DRM + SharpMusique

Last updated July 1st

and JHymn for those already purchased

Is there any disadvantage to waiting and using JHymn after you've purchased the song through iTunes instead of using SharpMusique?

And i just got done testing out Rhapsody and while i really like the service and its content you only get 25 free PLAYS a month and not downloads. That means every time you play a song even if its the same song that takes away one free play. I would much rather have 25 free downloads a month :).

burningrave101 said:
Is there any disadvantage to waiting and using JHymn after you've purchased the song through iTunes instead of using SharpMusique?

And i just got done testing out Rhapsody and while i really like the service and its content you only get 25 free PLAYS a month and not downloads. That means every time you play a song even if its the same song that takes away one free play. I would much rather have 25 free downloads a month :).

Downloads would be cool but I still think the free streaming sevice is still pretty awesome. It's 25 356kbs streams each month and it's full songs. So you can use it to listen to two full albums or just to sample albums you might have bought and otherwise decided against (happened to me a couple of times so far) Before that I was using amazon.com to decide.... that sounds like a bunch of monkeys hitting some tuna cans and recorded on a conference recorder from the 70's to me now.

As for 56k, you can still use rhapsody I believe. The DL streams buffer into the system so you can still listen to a full song after it's downloaded. I see where you coming from but I just can't nor would bring myself to pay for 128kbs mp3s. They sound so incredibly poor to me with all that compression.

Ive a quick question regarding Ice Czar's post, where does the whois info for a server come from?

rapid said:
Ive a quick question regarding Ice Czar's post, where does the whois info for a server come from?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whois

Whois is a TCP-based query/response protocol which is widely used for querying a database in order to determine the owner of a domain name, an IP address, or an autonomous system number, on the Internet. Whois lookups were traditionally made using a command line interface, but there now exists a number of simplified web-based tools created to lookup domain ownership details, from different databases. The services include websites such as Whois Source, UWhois and SamSpade.org.

The whois system originated as a method that system administrators could look up information to contact other IP address or domain name administrators (almost like a "white pages"). The use of the data that is returned from query responses has evolved from those origins into a variety of both altruistic (such as a Certificate Authority validating the registration for ecommerce https) and nefarious uses (such as bulk unsolicited email campaigns).

more ;)

search_bg.jpg

also see Domain Name System ;)

Back