What's the best looking new game or game engine?

MrCrispy

2[H]4U
E3 is over, so whats the consensus? What is the best looking current/next gen game engine or game?

A lot of trailers advertised 'in game footage' but who knows how the final game will look like? e.g. Anthem.

It's really hard to tell because almost all of those videos are interpolated. Anything can look like a million bucks when it's artificially 60fps.

Days Gone looks incredible as does Uncharted The Lost Legacy and God of War.

It's hard to say but I think Uncharted looked the best and I can say that with confidence knowing Naughty Dog's track record thus-far.

Right now I think Frostbite is the best looking game engine. It's nearly photo-realistic.

Decima is pretty damned impressive now that it has had more time to cook. Both Until Dawn and Horizon are amazing, and what we've seen so far of Death Stranding is great.

Reactions: T4rd
like this
Decima is pretty damned impressive now that it has had more time to cook. Both Until Dawn and Horizon are amazing, and what we've seen so far of Death Stranding is great.

Yup, was just about to say Decima or Naughty Dog's engine for the newer Uncharted games. I just finished playing Until Dawn and am playing Horizon (Zero Dawn - funny they both have "dawn" in them) too though, so they're pretty fresh in my mind still. I wish they would have released a Pro patch for Until Dawn, at least to mitigate a lot of its frame rate issues.

I dream of playing Horizon on PC at 60 FPS and higher AF though, but they did a great job at locking in 30 on Horizon and making it feel plenty smooth and playable.

I dream of playing Horizon on PC at 60 FPS and higher AF though, but they did a great job at locking in 30 on Horizon and making it feel plenty smooth and playable.

It's one of those things that occasionally really makes me wonder. Horizon looks great at 30fps. Destiny does, too. Smooth, no weird stutter, ghosting, awkward animation, frametime issues, etc.
Yet like 95% of other games don't. Whatever techniques those developers used should be copied.

It's one of those things that occasionally really makes me wonder. Horizon looks great at 30fps. Destiny does, too. Smooth, no weird stutter, ghosting, awkward animation, frametime issues, etc.
Yet like 95% of other games don't. Whatever techniques those developers used should be copied.

Here is what is happening in Horizon Zero Dawn when you move the camera; hence better/stable frame-rate.

source.gif

One caveat, fps. 3rd person games (mass effect, dragon age I) look pretty meh on it.

Mass Effect and Dragon Age are massive games though. I mean, you can use Frostbite on different genres of games but the look of "meh" you describe in Dragon Age and ME is more to the fact that there are more resources put into making massive and varied environments than smaller more detailed ones. The most graphically beautiful games usually consist of games that are more claustrophobic than open-world-type games like RPGs. A good example is looking at Battlefield and then Need for Speed. Most use the same engine, and both look massively different, but they also look really good for their respective purposes. But like I said, they are more enclosed experiences and not corridor shooters or enormous-mapped games.

Viewport occlusion is nothing new.

I realize that but I figured it'd be cool to see what it was actually doing in-game. That gif is taken from Horizon Zero Dawn directly and not some other game, and I figured since I was responding to someone who was asking how it has such stable frames it'd be worth posting. :bored:

pretty sure all game engines do that automatically, or at least it's one of the first things you learn about when studying real-time 3D rendering.

Game can stutter for a variety of reasons, from audio driver issues, background services, file fragmentation, poor memory management/caching. It could even be your mouse "skipping" cause you to think you dropped a frame.

I remember reading about the N64 (Project 64 / Reality 64) having a Z-buffer and it being such a big deal for performance in Mario 64. I imagine most Ubisoft games maintain frame rate by having no computational load from enemy/npc AI. Hence why large crowds in AssCreed put it into a crawl.

pretty sure all game engines do that automatically, or at least it's one of the first things you learn about when studying real-time 3D rendering.

Game can stutter for a variety of reasons, from audio driver issues, background services, file fragmentation, poor memory management/caching. It could even be your mouse "skipping" cause you to think you dropped a frame.

Ya, in some older games (gta san andreas for example) if you tweak it to be widescreen res without tweaking some other settings you see the world disappear on the edges.

Either Decima or Frostbite IMO. Unfortunately Decima has only been used on games limited to PS4 / PS4 Pro hardware so we haven't seen its full potential.

Here is what is happening in Horizon Zero Dawn when you move the camera; hence better/stable frame-rate.

source.gif

I find it amazing that games do this and still keep up with fast mouse motions. You'd think you'd be able to catch it doing this by moving the mouse super fast, but nope!

TwistedMetalGear, you may also be amazed that the light in most fridges turn on and off when you open and close the door but you can't see it happening, it's like magic and nobody since the 50s have been able to understand how it can happen.

:p

I find it amazing that games do this and still keep up with fast mouse motions. You'd think you'd be able to catch it doing this by moving the mouse super fast, but nope!

I think that has to do with how game loops are generally structured.
Ie. in its simplest form: input, update state, render, repeat.
Therefore it's impossible to move the mouse faster than the rendering viewport, if that makes sense.

TwistedMetalGear, you may also be amazed that the light in most fridges turn on and off when you open and close the door but you can't see it happening, it's like magic and nobody since the 50s have been able to understand how it can happen.

:p

Refrigerator gnomes turn it on and off

daf60f9752f01ca35b56e8c23d5c87cd.jpg

Back