What's the BEST HDTV for about $2-3K?

What's the BEST HDTV for around $2-3K ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

vilhiem

Weaksauce
What's the best High-Definition TV I could purchase for around $2,000 to $3,000?
I tend to favor Sony ... but curioud what other folks have to say ...

Thanks!!!
Vilhiem

well for one is where is samsung??!!

second, what kind of TV are we talking about? LCD, Plasma, DLP, LED DLP?

different brands are good for different types of tvs.

most TVs nowadays arent even over 3,000 or 2,500 at that.

As for me i have a samsung 42" plasma and 67" dlp and both are great!
Sony and Samsung use same screens for lcds just to let you know, so if anything sonys are just overpriced.

Do you have the Samsung 67" DLP? If so, I was thinking about getting that one. You say you like it?

yup, its great no problems whatsoever so far and ive had it for like 2 months. got mine from costco for 1,999 and it also comes with a stand so its a great deal.

Sony and Samsung use same screens for lcds just to let you know, so if anything sonys are just overpriced.

This used to be true but the new sony's (4100 and 4150's) are a panel sourced from Sharp, except the L and N lines, those are sourced from random plants in China. As for me, I picked up a Samsung 40A750 about a month ago and think it's great! The biggest issue I have with it is input lag with the 120hz on and it's picture on analogue channels. But it's been sweet to watch the Olympics in HD

Interesting point ... so, is there any HDTV out there (e.g., LCD, Plasma, RSP, etc.) that does display nice "non-HD" channels?

Samsung LED DLP is what I'd go with if I was purchasing a new TV.

Pretty much all HDTV's will display SD content just like it is.. shit. :p But the DLP's I found, especially Samsung, they have a really good engine that makes SD content tolerable.

You said "best", not "best bang for the buck", that's going to elicit certain kinds of responses...

I think that few, if any, persons knowledgeable in the whole scope of HD displays would put any LCDs on the top of their "best" list regardless of who makes them. In general, plasmas own the top end of the HD spectrum in large sizes like 46"+ (excluding bleeding edge OLEDs and the like but they don't go very large yet)

LCDs are making huge strides and are the "default" HDTV technology, but still suffer from black crush, and lack of good blacks and shadow detail. When shopping, I find that a lot of LCD sets look sharper, but become "hard to watch" after a while. I think a lot of sharpness comes from digital sharpening processing.

Generally the hallmarks of good HD viewing are: easy to watch, comfortable, excellent skin tones, ACCURATE COLOR and three-dimensional "live" looking picture that immerse the viewer in the content. I think these reasons are why plasma has been coming out on top. Pioneer is considered to be hands-down the best, but generally above the price range you've given. Custom, high end installers default to Pioneer and the Kuro line has become the standard to beat. That being said, with the demise of the Pioneer business and the panels being made by Panasonic starting soon, Pana has picked up a lot of IP from Pioneer and have been advancing very rapidly every time the models are refreshed. Typically a new Pana release will outshine the previous Pioneer now, and that wasn't the case before. Panas are very close in visual quality to Pioneer at a fraction of the price, but Pioneer still holds the edge from what I've seen in person. I just saw the current Pioneer bottom-of-the-line 720p 50" set the other day looking better than all of the 1080p sets (including the top-of-line Pana) around it.

I'm researching and gearing up for my first HD purchase, probably the end of this year. I'm shopping for a 50" plasma and comparing Pioneer and Panasonic.

You can probably get the entire line of Panasonic 50" plasmas for <$3k if you shop around. Pioneer has dropped their pants on the 720p 50" models because they will no longer offer a 720p set.

If I had that kind of money, I would save up a little more and buy a used Mitsubishi WS-65813 (65 inch) or WS-73711 (73 inch) for around $500 - $600 & a used Lumagen Radiance XD (video processor) for around $3100. That would be heaven!

WAIT
WAIT
WAIT

Laser TVs will be coming out this year. Wait to see reviews on those.

Otherwise get a Samsung DLP with LED lighting or get an LCoS display (Sony SXRD or JVC D-ILA). Do not get an LCD in any form (either direct view or RP) and do not get a plasma unless you get a Pioneer or Panasonic AND you know you will be VERY sure to do all you can to avoid burn-in.

I can't believe you left one of the top 3... Samsung! Hitachi isn't even in the top 10 IMO.

DLPs are best bang for the buck = Samsung's LED DLP or Mitsubishi
LCD = Sony or Samsung followed by Sharp/LG
Plasma = Panasonic (in 2-3k range)

bought the Samsung LE46A656 last week its been fantastic so far SD Heroes looks awesome on it

I'm in for the Pioneer 5020 as well. The TV is just sick, a few times I caught myself watching it only to see a few seconds later that it had been left on it's analogue antenna feed. The TV is made of win.

But the Hitachi 50v702 might be a good second choice.

I think you should ignore all of the advice here. Nobody can answer anything until you give more information. What you need to answer....

What type of room will the TV be in? How much light control do you have and what times of the day do you watch things?

What is the shape of the room?

What will you be putting on this TV? HTPC? DVD/BluRay? Cable?

There are a world of questions that need to be answered before anyone can suggest anything. Also, keep in mind, people will most likely suggest what they have even if they are wrong. Few people will admit they made a mistake in a large purchasing decision.

Give more details and you'll get a better answer.

Another vote for Samsung. I have a 52" Samsung LCD, just gorgeous, but around $1,600.

A friend of mine has a nice 42" DLP Samsung display, also looks fantastic, but can only do 1080i.

How do the new LED DLPs do with viewing angle? My buddy has an older 46" Samsung DLP and it can look pretty washed out when watching from and angle.

How do the new LED DLPs do with viewing angle? My buddy has an older 46" Samsung DLP and it can look pretty washed out when watching from and angle.

Honestly, I have never seen this on ANY DLP. People keep saying it but I can't help but wonder what ridiculous angles people are trying to watch these things from.

Honestly, I have never seen this on ANY DLP. People keep saying it but I can't help but wonder what ridiculous angles people are trying to watch these things from.
+1, on my 46'' Samsung DLP I can watch literally from the side of it, and it only "darkens" the picture slightly.

When the laser DLP's come out I expect the LED's to drop in price, that's when I plan to pick one up. Either that or some BF sale.

saw on hdguru that hdtv price drops are expected on labor day or after, some around 200 dollars off, so as of now id wait till then.

Samsung DLPs are great. Just watch out for bulb replacement, and some previous common Samsung issues like a shadow on the screen.

AVSForum is a good place to research

Back