What's the best GTX 1080ti to buy today?

NIZMOZ

2[H]4U
Which is the best one to get for performance/price? So many different models from EVGA and other brands that I am unsure what to get.

Which is the best one to get for performance/price? So many different models from EVGA and other brands that I am unsure what to get.

Price/performance? The FE $699 one direct from Nvidia when its in stock is probably the best bang for the buck.

Price/performance? The FE $699 one direct from Nvidia when its in stock is probably the best bang for the buck.
Not sure if I'd want the base model though. I'd say middle to top model in the range. But what would be the card to get?

Not sure if I'd want the base model though. I'd say middle to top model in the range. But what would be the card to get?

My point was that the "base" model is at least $100 cheaper than any other card. You're looking at $800-850 for anything else, and I'm not sure if you'd ever see $100 worth of difference.

Personally, I have an EVGA and it works great for me. Not the high end FTW or Hydro, but the mid range SC and it works fine. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it if you can get a deal.

I would get a EVGA but not the FE cards noisy as heck even with fan custom adjustments in XOC.

My point was that the "base" model is at least $100 cheaper than any other card. You're looking at $800-850 for anything else, and I'm not sure if you'd ever see $100 worth of difference.

Personally, I have an EVGA and it works great for me. Not the high end FTW or Hydro, but the mid range SC and it works fine. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it if you can get a deal.

The SC black is a great card. The ICX color it uses is really excellent.

Fans stop spinning under x* heat

Card is well built, normal size, runs cool, has a backplate, looks good, and is reliable. Of about 10 different types of 1080TI cards I've used, it's my favorite.

I like my pair and would have no issue recommending them.

Last edited:
a water cooled one.

I'm not sure watercooling is necessary with a 1080Ti. My EVGA SC Black are pretty much silent under load, in an open air Thermal Take P3 case. With two in SLI they get to a moderate volume. With a single, I don't know that you'd even hear it.

I've had about 20, 1080Ti running for mining purposes, and I kid you not in that I think the ~20 1080TI mining were quieter than a single Vega56 gaming.

Last edited:
I am a fan of good cooling (no pun intended). With that in mind my choices would be the ASUS strix or MSI trio cards.

I'm not sure watercooling is necessary with a 1080Ti. My EVGA SC Black are pretty much silent under load, in an open air Thermal Take P3 case. With two in SLI they get to a moderate volume. With a single, I don't know that you'd even hear it.

It's not necessary by any stretch. It will run cooler and you may get a slightly higher OC but usually the premium for that is 100-200 bucks. The MSI trio, evga triple fan or the gigabyte aorus are all very quiet and excellent cards.

Yes, the EGVA SC Black are super quiet even when mining 24/7 at 100% GPU usage - :p

The EVGA 1080Ti are outstanding cards, perform extremely well and stays cool and they are actual dual width cards and not 2 1/2 width cards making them easier to SLI. Also not too long either, probably the best Nvidia cards I've ever bought.

Yes, the EGVA SC Black are super quiet even when mining 24/7 at 100% GPU usage - :p

The EVGA 1080Ti are outstanding cards, perform extremely well and stays cool and they are actual dual width cards and not 2 1/2 width cards making them easier to SLI. Also not too long either, probably the best Nvidia cards I've ever bought.

Yep,

You don't need triple fans to run cool with the 1080TI. The SC Black runs as cool as the eight triple fan cards I own, and the standard form factor is nicer IMO.

Note: The SC black doesn't allow you to control the LED colors. SC Black is just white LEDs with a little yellow SC logo as well. You need the SC II black to be able to control the LED color.

This depends on if you will be watercooling or not, If you are then get the FE cards. The FE cards (from EVGA atleast) are supposdly binned cards and are amazing overclockers. I have a MSI FE card and it overclocks to 2101 with no issues while alot of AIB cards need a custom bios to achive this.

Liking my EVGA SC2.

I'd call it "quiet" until you crank the fans up.

Then it's amazingly loud.

But it runs really really cool, even at full mining load.

The cheapest one you can find. Don't lose sleep over a few % of fps for a shitload of more money. If that's your interest, just buy a Titan V and move on.

Reactions: Mega6
like this
The mentality that a FE is a "base model" as a negative is just wrong.

It's a perfectly functional 1080Ti and performs as expected.

Reactions: 50Cal
like this
I actually already bought the ASUS STRIX 1080TI OC 2 weeks ago. Been great!

All the EVGA ones are nearly $900 to $1000 now, so $700 is a bargain for a a 1080ti if you can get one from Nvidia at that price.

Zotac Amp (and Zotac in general) seem to have similar cards, but are a bit cheaper.

In my experience, if you're looking for an air-cooled 1080 ti and have the case/board space, the Gigabyte Auros is the coolest and quietest air-cooled high-end card I've used and OCs well. It has a massive cooling block so you don't need to crank up the fans as much as other cards to get good temps.

I'd disagree with those suggesting "just get an FE" version. The blower cards, in my experience, are loud and don't cool as well as most other cards.

If you're buying a 1080ti you might as well spend the extra $100- $150 on one with a cutom cooler if you value silence and peace of mind because it will run cooler and give you more longevity by running cooler. I've owned a Founder's Edition TI they do get quite loud and run quite hot will thermal throttle a lot faster than a card that has a custom cooler. Especially if you have a good case to expel the heat that a custom cooler will dump into it. There's a reason why many people that bought the Founder's Edition TI because it's the only thing they can get their hands on at launch only to later install a custom water block or the hybrid cooler on them.

Back