What's the best gaming laptop that won't break the bank?

guy_uoft

n00b
I'm moving away for 6 months possibly up to 6 years. I originally wanted to ship my gaming rig (i5 and 6970 CF) whole in its original case, however I've read a lot of horror stories about computer shipping and the abuse the packages take from careless workers. Since I might be moving up to 4-6 times in the next two years, now I think I'll just leave the rig and buy a gaming laptop at my destination and take it with me on my travels.

Any suggestions? I prefer one that can play BF3 at high settings and not over $1000, is that even possible?

Thanks in advance...

BF3 at high on a sub-$1000 laptop is very unlikely\impossible unless you play at low resolution. Your closest bet would be one of those MSI models that have a 570m, but i think these start at $1200 and change.

You might try notebookforum for a used clevo\sager with a 6970, but even that would be well over a grand.

Update: was just perusing and here's your number if you want to go used...this guy should be selling for $200 more at the least imo.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/notebooks-desktops-sale/631585-fs-sager-np8170-2720qm-gtx-485m.html

Last edited:
Well, here in Portugal, i bought, 2 months ago, this Samsung RC530 S02-PT with i5 2430 (2.4ghz + Sandy bridge, 2nd generation of i5 processors), 750Gb HDD, Nvidia GT540M 2Gb + Intel HD that uses more 2gb of Ram of Ram memorys, applied in graphics but you only can use one of them Graphics Board at same time and 6Gb DDR3 memory, for 650€, that is +/- in that moment exchange 830$USD, and i always play BF3 Multiplayer at high, and single i often play in Ultra :)

I use my HP Envy 14 for gaming with no complaints, though I don't play BF of any kind. Switchable graphics for better battery life, and it's impressed me overall.

Well, here in Portugal, i bought, 2 months ago, this Samsung RC530 S02-PT with i5 2430 (2.4ghz + Sandy bridge, 2nd generation of i5 processors), 750Gb HDD, Nvidia GT540M 2Gb + Intel HD that uses more 2gb of Ram of Ram memorys, applied in graphics but you only can use one of them Graphics Board at same time and 6Gb DDR3 memory, for 650€, that is +/- in that moment exchange 830$USD, and i always play BF3 Multiplayer at high, and single i often play in Ultra :)

What's your resolution and frame rate? I find a 540m pushing BF3 on High to be a bit suspect... unless you're at 720p.

Back