Whats the Best Game Rental Site? gamefly, gameznflix, etc etc?

Apathy

Gawd
been paroosing the internets to find a place where i can rent games with as little hassle as possible.

came across just a couple. gamefly obviously came to mind, probably because they advertise all over tv.

seems they only offer 2 games at a time for 21$/month, but they have a fairly large library.

gameznflix's website was down when i checked, but according to some reviews i read, they offer up to 6 games/movies simultaneously.

just wondering if anyone has ever had any experience with either one of these companies or any others that might be worth checking out.

ideally id like to be able to rent 3 games at the same time, and renting some movies would be cool as well.

im not sure if its just due to the amount of advertising that gamefly does, but im tempted to go with them and see if i can get access to some secret hidden '3 games at the same time' deal.

and for my movies, maybe ill get netflix... but the movie thing isnt all that important.

just want the best game service.

anyone got any ideas?

(on a side note, gamefly doesnt have xenogears available for rent... :( )

(second side note, is xenosaga anything like the original xenogears?)

They all have trial periods. I use GameFly - and they do have a 3-at-a-time option, because they keep asking me to upgrade.

And if you're at all interested in movies, you have to go Netflix. They're infinitely faster at turn-around, so you get way more for your money.

Netflix is great with turn around times. Send a movie back today, get the next one 2 days later. Very nice service. I just cancelled my sub with them beucase of a phenomally high rate of cracked, unreadable Blu-rays. I just switched over to try out Blockbuster's service, but SHIPPING takes 4 days. I don't see myself staying beyond the 2 week trial.

Been doing Gamefly since 2003. I do 4 at a time (me and 3 kids). Between discounts on used games, quarterly rewards, and they are testing a trade-in system, I've never thought of switching. Customer service is great as I have had issues with my local PO "losing" games and such.

I will add that buying used games (often times getting a brand new disc at used prices) is a nice benefit of Gamefly. But where I live, Minnesota, turn-around times are painfully slow - especially with the newer games. But I stick with it, because it's still much cheaper than buying all the games I play.

I just tried gamefly so my kids could rent games they want before asking for them for christmas. I won't be renewing after the first month is up. Game shipping time is typically "decent" although not quite as fast as netflix's lightning fast service. What kills it is pretty much any game we would want to rent is not available until quite a while after its release. for the price of the service it only makes sense for renting new games. 6 month old games I could buy used and re-sell when finished.

I use GameTap. There's no limit to the # of games you can download, and they have a lot of current stuff as well as old stuff stretching back to the 80's arcade games, but you do have to download everything. Nothing is ever shipped to you, and you do have to access the games via their client program.

I use GameTap. There's no limit to the # of games you can download, and they have a lot of current stuff as well as old stuff stretching back to the 80's arcade games, but you do have to download everything. Nothing is ever shipped to you, and you do have to access the games via their client program.

That's very irrelevant, the OP wants console games (GF doesn't offer PC game rentals, nor does any other place), GT is for PC games only.

I use GF. It's OK, but I don't think there's anything better right now. I live in IL, and they ship to me from TX. Takes games 3-4 days to get to me, and takes them 2-3 days to receive a game I sent back, so it's not really great, but oh well. 22 a month for 2 games beats spending 60 for one game every couple of months that will only last a couple of weeks.

And over here it costs $5 to rent a game for 3 days from the cheapest video rental store.

I also asked customers support a couple of questions before and to my surprise they weren't macroed at all. They actually read what I wrote.

That's very irrelevant, the OP wants console games (GF doesn't offer PC game rentals, nor does any other place), GT is for PC games only.

I use GF. It's OK, but I don't think there's anything better right now. I live in IL, and they ship to me from TX. Takes games 3-4 days to get to me, and takes them 2-3 days to receive a game I sent back, so it's not really great, but oh well. 22 a month for 2 games beats spending 60 for one game every couple of months that will only last a couple of weeks

I see nothing in the OP's post that states what system he is seeking the service for, so my comment is VERY relevant.

I don't rent games myself (ahem buy them on impulse sometimes) but this is going to come in handy for a friend of mine ;)
ecstatic.gif

I see nothing in the OP's post that states what system he is seeking the service for, so my comment is VERY relevant.

Well no place allows you to physically rent out PC games due to piracy. So, no, it's not relevant.

I didn't care for either service. Waiting on the mail was annoying and if you don't like the game its just a waste. And many games are not available for a long time.

I also canceled my Netflicks account and BBV online account.

I now use Blockbuster's Unlimited in-store rentals good for movies and games. Its only good for the store you sign up at, but works great for me. I have often exchanged a game the same day I rented it because I didn't like it and I love the instant gratification. My local BBV game select is great too. I have the 2-at-one-time for $30. 1 at a time is $22 I believe.

This is my first year with gamefly, and I must say it is really nice. It's just me, so I get the one game at a time option. About $17 a month and while the turn around time is longer then I'd like, it is much better than anything I have used before.

Back