Whats the best FTP Server program?

Bulletproof FTP Server is also a good program. I've been using it for the past three years and have had no problems with it. If you're a student or affiliated with an educational institution, you can get it for $20. If not, I think it's around $35.

http://www.bpftpserver.com/

how secure are ftp servers, do u think our ISP can see what we are transfering?

I personally like Gene6 FTP (http://www.g6ftpserver.com/). It's relatively cheap, solid, has a butt-load of features (virtual domains, compression, scripting, ftp-to-ftp) and supports SSL. All for fifty damn dollars!

I'd say it's pretty secure, as my buddy attending a certain University has really strict network data transfer policies (no p2p and shit is monitored), has been mooching off my FTP for some time (with SSL). Without SSL, everything is done in plain text, so yes, your ISP would then be able to see what you transfer.

Compare that to Serv-U, which charges $100 for SSL.

Hello my dear interwebster friends,

As our host lemmy, I am too dandling with them FTP servers and have tried WS FTP Server only to find it doesnt have any option to mirror another FTP server.

Now this is very important in my case, because I want to maintain a local copy of all the files located on my friend's FTP server.. I would like very much if WS FTP Server had an option to daily synchronize my own FTP Server with my friend's server so we can both have the same exact files.

But since WS FTP Server does not have this option, can you much respected internet developers, point me in the right direction?

lemmy said:
how secure are ftp servers, do u think our ISP can see what we are transfering?

As a rule, unless you do something fancy your ISP can see anything you download/upload, they probably won't pay attention unless you use a TON of bandwidth. IE casual usage and maybe a little more is probably fine.

I've used bulletproof for 2 years with no problems. I set it up back then and since, the only maintinence I've had to do is adding/removing users.

Great program.

Party2go9820 said:
According to the feature list Crush FTP will do it.

(a buddy of mine is the developer for CrushFTP)

Nice but i see a problem. It doesnt retrieve user base from Active Directory like WS FTP Server does.

does bulletproof use SSL too? so ISP can't see what i'm transfering?

tripex said:
Nice but i see a problem. It doesnt retrieve user base from Active Directory like WS FTP Server does.

I'll mention it to him and see what he can do about that.

grethor said:
my vote goes to vsftpd for unix/linux
I concure. Combine this with rsync and you have your mirroring option.

Now throw in winbind and samba and you're gold.

I highly recommend eFTP, if you are using the eFTP client to connect to the server you can encrypt with 1024 bits of blowfish encryption. I really hate trial versions of software, and thats also one reason I like eFTP so much...its free! Clean user interface and easy to setup. (Be sure to check the 'enable account' checkbox when making new user accounts). Anyhow, here it is:

http://www.encrypted-ftp.com/

No *nix clients or servers which is a bit of a downside if you are into that.

Back