What's the best free/cheap antivirus?

Pretzel

Limp Gawd
I'm currently running AVG because it's free and has a small footprint. I've recently heard some negative comments about AVG. I'm wondering if anyone has good suggestions for free/cheap antivirus software that leaves a small footprint?

Avira Antivir currently has the best detection rates among free antiviruses and has developed some very excellent heuristics recently, I whole heartedly recommend it, or Nod32.

Link

Well, NOD32 is about 11 cents per day.

AVG is ok... not sure how good it is compared to AntiVir or Avast though.

Nod32, by far. It's quite cheap, and works very well.

Strykar said:
Avira Antivir currently has the best detection rates among free antiviruses and has developed some very excellent heuristics recently, I whole heartedly recommend it, or Nod32.

Link

Actually, AOL Active Virus Shield, which uses Kaspersky's antivirus as its base, has the best detection rate. I hate to recommend anything AOL, but with it basically being Kaspersky, it is hard not to. It uses the exact same antivirus definitions and all services and processes are identical. However, the UI is changed a bit and some things have been removed.

If you want to try it out, download it here.

nod32 gets my vote, ive been running it for a couple of years now and have 0 complaints.

KoolDrew said:
Actually, AOL Active Virus Shield, which uses Kaspersky's antivirus as its base, has the best detection rate. I hate to recommend anything AOL, but with it basically being Kaspersky, it is hard not to. It uses the exact same antivirus definitions and all services and processes are identical. However, the UI is changed a bit and some things have been removed.

If you want to try it out, download it here.
it also tracks what you do ;)

Actually, no. Antivir beat Kaspersky in the latest batch of AV-Comparatives reviews, has better heuristics as well, but stay tuned for Kaspersky's heuristic engine revamp in the coming months. And as Ching Chang said, I'll definitely pass on AOL AV. There's always a catch when you grab a great virus database like Kasperksy's for free.

http://www.av-comparatives.org/

Do you have high speed internet? Better yet, comcast? They offer free antivirus: Mcafee security suite. If you have high speed, then you should inquire about it, because most companies especially isp's are competing for your business and giving free antivirus services. I had pc-cillin and then norton, but im in love with the mcafee security suite, havent had a virus in almost two years.

Back