What's the best fps game U have played?

Unreal tournament 2003 and counter strike1.3 are the only games that really hooked me.

SP:

HalfLife 2 - The story was pretty good, but the graphics and environs were just ... absolutely amazing. I have still yet to see a more fully realized and detailed world in any game.

Quake2 - For its time, this was a groundbreaking, engrossing and beautiful game. I remember being completely obssessed and impressed with it; then I upgraded to a 3Dfx vid card and was just blown away by the difference in the realism and atmosphere. This was the single most significant step up in graphics I've ever personally experienced. It totally changed what I thought was possible in a game.

HalfLife 1 - It's a legendary game for many reasons. We all know them. Nuff said.

MP:

CounterStrike - The first game that made teamplay a necessity; completely revolutionized the face of online gaming.

Quake/Quakeworld - The truly staggering number of players online for this game spawned many of the online FPS conventions we still see today, such as clans. Before, you'd mostly had direct one-on-one modem connections or a small number of players on a hardwired lan. Quakeworld pretty much created global online gaming.

Battlefield 2 - I haven't been this into an online game in years. I wish it had more maps, but I'm sure that'll be taken care of by the community. That aside, BF2 recalls the early Quake days in sheer appeal. I'm 40 y/o and on Saturday, I played BF2 for 9 straight hours, till 7:30 am Sunday. That says a lot about how engrossing this game is.

Half Life 1 - I ducked in real life the first time soldiers fired at me. That first time you fight them when you come up elevator and music kicks on, then you head outside. That moment hasn't been matched sense.

Metroid Prime was a great singleperson FPS/Adventure.

Quake 2.

I used to skip high school just to play online deathmatches. CTF was life.
Q2 has a permanant home on my HD, along with Doom II.

Goldeneye 007, the root of it all. And then Counter Strike was the one that kicked it off in the end.

Most of you are wrong best multiplayer game ever was TEAM FORTRESS CLASSIC...that game owned me!

halflife 1 deathmatch was good too the weapons UNBELIEVABLE the maps were absolutlely the best creatively designed maps I've ever seen.

now playing bf2

bring on tfc 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tribes 1 , Base, Then Shifter before rocket turrents and laser mines

Tribes 2 , My own personal Jubei Mod, Never got released, also my flight training school

XIII, Kicked ass

Serious Sam Series, AHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh BOOOOOOOM. Nuff said

Undying, Creepy FPS.. Scrryyyyyyyeeee

---------------------------------

I never liked Halflife 1, it took me years to finish it, i hate the Repetitiveness of FPS's, And fps's dont belong on consoles, I've played Goldeneye and hated it back then, still hate it today. Doom 1/2 on the Sega 32x was a better fps than that.

All other fps's bored me. I've finished many but reluctantly. I get tired halfway through doing the same shit over and over and over again. Whoops you gotta get here, doors locked, go here, here, here, here, here, we're gonna throw shit at "random" at you, go here, get keycard, get code, get some pubic hair, go back to door and get through, next level, same shit.

CS Bored me. All half life mods didnt impress me. I prefer storyline and innovated gameplay over the typical bang bang bang shit. The only online fps's i played shortly was unreal and quack3. But got tired of them because they werent tribes. In both you were stuck on the ground and in a box you couldn't get out of. The only maps I played were the ones with excessive jumppads or low grav maps in unreal. Which still got boring after awhile.

I personally think all fps's throw too many enemies at you.

Oh alittle side info

I've never played Quake 1 or 2!!!

I was an old Doom player, Wolf 3D, then didnt really touch any FPS till Tribes.(Played a few mech games that were first person though, ahh the memories of playing Gnome on my Packard Bell 166mhz)

I was more into Console games, or Flight/space fight games(ALA Xwing Tie fighter series, Wing Commander, and so on)

Komataguri said:
You ever play on Black Cell servers?

Do you still play, for that matter?

May be willing to reinstall it if you'd be up for a few rounds, Uninstalled it because I'm sick of westwood games having NO moderation at all.
NO I stopped playing when mac and blazer made all their hacks public. Got bored of seeing people randomly generate mammoths.grrrr.

BlastRadius said:
NO I stopped playing when mac and blazer made all their hacks public. Got bored of seeing people randomly generate mammoths.grrrr.

I must have been lucky and stopped playing just before that happend, Altho there were hacks galore before I even stopped.

FinalRen being the major one, Bighead, Ultimate Weapon, ect ect.

I'll add my bit...

System Shock 2 - I still like playing this one every once in a while (my favorite game of all time)

Half-Life 1 - duh

No One Lives Forever - loved the gameplay on the hard setting and the guard conversations were funny.

Medal of Honor - Allied Assault - the ONLY way to play these games is on the hardest difficulty level...they become a whole new game when they are on this setting. The sniper town took forever because one shot and you are dead.

Also I really liked the original Battlefield 1942. The demo came out during Quakecon one year and it spread around the BYOC like a virus. One morning just a few guys were playing it and the next it was on almost every screen you could see. It was buggy and crashed and ran slow on my PC at the time but dammit it was a classic gaming moment there for those few days at Quakecon. It took a few weeks after that for the rest of the world to get into it. I think Quakecon helped to spread it around quicker than it would have otherwise because all those gamers went home and spread the news to their friends.

Hard to say. Technically NOLF, Far Cry, NOLF 2. Also not 100 % fps but I would like to mention Thief games and System Shock 2. These are really more rewarding than any other plain fps I have played.

Otherwise Doom, Duke Nukem and Unreal for nostalgic reasons. Also loved Serious Sam second encounter

Hands down Half Life 1 with the Blue Shift Texture Pack. I couldn't stand the super nasty textures without it. That game still the best plot out of any FPS I have played. Half Life 2 was good but the first one started it all.

Someone should make a poll for this question with like the twenty most mentioned games from this thread. That would rock.

Easily "Day of Defeat" mod.

Can't wait for DoD:S

Most recently "Plan of Attack" was really neat.

Way back, Heretic was the shizznit ("where aaare youuuu???"; "I'm heeereeee")!!!

Doom is the grand daddy that got me going but DUKE NUKEM 3d was by far the best FPS game ever released. Especially at it's time. Multi and single player were both fun. Compared to games like quake where it was multiplayer fun only really ^-^ my 2 cents

1) perfect dark
2) counter strike
3) goldeneye

nothing else really comes close IMO

Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight was a phenomenal game, and definitely my favorite FPS so far.

I just started Half Life 2 and so far it's creeping up my favorite list.

System Shock
System Shock 2
Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay
Unreal
Doom 3
Quake 2

There are others, but these ones ooze atmosphere, concise controls, excellent graphics (yes even System Shock 1) etc.

I think for fun factor its a toss up between Call of Duty and Far Cry. Those were both crazy fun IMO. I also loved Half Life 2 but a lot of that was the detail of the world and characters and innovation in it..

Wolfenstein3d, TFC(by far), Goldeneye

Once i get my new rig put together i'll let ya know how i like some of the newer titles.

No One Lives Forever. good graphics, good plot, excellent humor and voice acting, challenging, nice gadgets and weapons, good AI (distract guards, lose them after a chase, they take cover under fire), quite long by todays standards, bodies fell over railings and rolled down steps, dynamic music and sound (music and drum beats when you one-shot someone or start a fight), and one of my favorite "oh shit" moments when you get blown out of the plane without a parachute.

I'll agree that it hasn't been topped yet, IMHO. The 2nd one was good, but didnt seem quite as funny for some reason, but i need to replay it. For as long as that game was, i've played through the whole thing several times. HL1 I quit somewhere in Zen, Far Cry the trigens kind of lost it for me.

Honorable mention: Far Cry, HL1 (up until zen), NOLF2, Thief series.

Some favorites when I was younger:

NOLF
Hidden & Dangerous + Devils Bridge exp.
Quake
Duke3D
Dark Forces
Kingpin
HL1
SoF

I'm sure I'm forgetting a few... :confused:

Duke Nukem 3D, I think I played that game over 100 time single player not to meantion the 56k fun times I had online and creating my own taunts with cool edit. First game I ever used WASD controls with as well!

Followed by
Wolfenstien 3D (PC, MAC & Console, I played them all!)
Doom
Quake
HL
Deus Ex

Edit: no meantion of online FPS
but DK for being the first online FPS I ever played (from memory at least)
TFC (ahhh so much fun back then, so boring today...)
Quake 1-2 for obvious reasons (never got into quake 3 truthfully)
memory escapes me right now

No One Lives Forever 1 & 2 are my 2 favorite FPS games ever. Half-Life 1/2 take a distant 3rd & 4th place.

Doom and Doom2. Ah, how I miss those all-night gaming sessions getting fragged on Nightmare difficulty...

Single-player: Unreal and Half-Life (tied)
Multi-player:
organized - DC (21CW tourney, baby!)
unorganized - UT (the original, not the poser sequels ;) )

I haven't played to many but here goes:
for sp:
perfect dark was neat
hl2 is cool
doom3 is allright
undying- only played the demo but it made me pewp my pants

for mp:
rtcw for intense teambased action
ut2k4 for best 1v1, tdm and ctf

Back