What's the best deal going on the PSP?

Archaea

[H]F Junkie

I think I've decided to buy one...whats the best deal or package available? What's the prie tag I should be looking for. How does it handle MP3's, WMA, and movies?

I'm considering replacing my Zune with a PSP instead.

You can get a PSP Slim/Light for $170 pretty much anywhere they sell them. Then find a deal on a 4gb Memory Stick. 8gb's cost about $100 still but 4gb's should be less than half that price if you shop around.

MP3 playback is good, movie playback is great but you'll have to convert your files to MP4.

8gb Sandisk $97.99 + 4.99
4gb Sandisk $56.99 + 4.99

can it use any 8gb SD card? or does it need to be sony branded?

brand doesn't matter, but you have to use memory stick pro duo, not sd

I also don't know if I'd recommend it as a replacement for a zune/ipod, since it's pretty big

oh, and:
MP3 playback is food, movie playback is great but you'll have to convert your files to MP4.

the mp3 playback is delicious. ;)

can it use any 8gb SD card? or does it need to be sony branded?

As said above, the PSP will only work with Memory Stick Pro Duo. Stick with the brand names, Sony, Sandisk, Lexar. Be very VERY careful if you buy used.

You could consider Craigslist or ebay for the PSP. My friend bought a PSP when they first came out, used it probably 3 times, and just sold it to somebody for $100. May be easier to just get a new one though.

The Pro Duo sticks are dropping in price all the time, so you can probably get a couple of the 4GB's if you are putting a lot of content on them.

Yeah best bet right now is to either get the regular slim or get the Daxter combo. Daxter combo comes with 1 game (Daxter), Silver Slim PSP, 1gb Memory Stick and a Family Guy disc.

I was able to get a 4gb Sony branded Memory Stick ProDuo for $64 w/tax from Costco so you can find them out there. However, my fiancee picked me up wth StarWars edition with the Star Wars game that I actually have not touched.

brand doesn't matter, but you have to use memory stick pro duo, not sd

I also don't know if I'd recommend it as a replacement for a zune/ipod, since it's pretty big

oh, and:

the mp3 playback is delicious. ;)

only time I listent to music on an mp3 player is on the airplane --- won't matter if it's a zune size or a psp size on the plane.

so is the daxtor combo that's out right now about the best buy?

$200, comes with a family guy movie, the daxtor game and a 1GB memory stick.

I got two for sale, both have original boxes, they are the first gen. I have a 2gb memory card, 256mb, 128mb, and a 32mb. They come with games and memory cards and most of the original stuff. also a few movies. Pm me if interested.

You should take a look here, and check out the offers going. Theres always about a 30 or so on there, and they range from "beat to shit" to "like new" to "brand new in the box" types of conditions. The descriptions are spot on too, so they won't say something is new when it's not. I've bought quite a few things from there and been pleasantly surprised.

Upside is saving about $50-80 bucks, downside is it's eBay.

I bought the Dextor Combo tonight at Sony Style after all. Seems like that's about the best deal going right now. Used my Sony Style card which gives me extra points for purchasing at sony style.

yeah...I like going in there just to look at the expensive tvs ;)

Lol window shopper. But i like the new color tvs, i dont mean the screen, i mean the housing. the white is my favorite.

well i went to japan and got mine over there, all compatible with american software, games, music, video. blah blah blah 2 gig memory stick and the PSP for under 150. it was about 115$ and of course its the one color that wont come to america. so if you go out of the country over there is nice and cheap if you try to order online the shipping will kill you:)

Has the battery life improved much on them ? How much gaming and music listening will I get out of a full charge on a new unit ?

And oh,do companies other the Sony sell after market batteries that are better then stock? Can you even change the battery ?

And oh,do companies other the Sony sell after market batteries that are better then stock? Can you even change the battery ?

Yes the battery is replaceable. I've seen some 3rd party companies selling 2600 and 2800mAh batteries, but the only one I would ever use is the official Sony batteries.

Yes the battery is replaceable. I've seen some 3rd party companies selling 2600 and 2800mAh batteries, but the only one I would ever use is the official Sony batteries.

Thanks for the info.So are there no legit battery makers out there for the PSP right now other then Sony ?

Thanks for the info.So are there no legit battery makers out there for the PSP right now other then Sony ?

I would not call them legit, the reason why I say I only use Sony brand batteries is because I've seen a few of the 3rd party batteries melt and destroy PSP's.

Are the screens on the new slim PSPs any better than the first gen's? I've a first gen and the screen ghosts so much some games are practically unplayable

I have the new one but have never played the old one so I don't know if it's better, but mine doesn't ghost and it is clear and bright.

Are the screens on the new slim PSPs any better than the first gen's? I've a first gen and the screen ghosts so much some games are practically unplayable

I have 2 PSP-1000's and I've never seen them even come remotely close to ghosting.

There's quite a bit of motion blur on the new PSP screens. Even just playing a game like tactics, when the camera rotates, it's significant. I can't imagine it's very good for games that have a lot of movement, but at least it doesn't detract much from that game.

the thing you are talking about in FFT is not ghosting it's bad porting and part of the game in some instance becuase it does it on the ps1 version as well.

I think you are seeing things that are not there. Do you see real ghost as well by any chance?

Play Liberty City stories or play Spiderman 2 UMD on an original PSP and try to tell me it does not ghost. Get real :rolleyes: The browns are terrible and it's characteristic of a slow PVA screen. I've never used a desktop display that bad in the past 4 years

Back