whats the best cpu i can use for this

Phenom II X6 1100T is on the supported cpu list for that board

going that route, 6000+ 89watt, or the 5600+ 89watt 1mb version would still be good choices, I think mainly from a heat benefit, those 6400+ got smoking hot from what I recall essentially being pushed to the limit in regards to voltage and speed from a stock processor side of the equation, you can take said 6000+ give a slight bump and have it running 6400+ speeds in a jiffy while running cooler then otherwise.

Course going that route why in the hell would you go an Athlon X2 when you can go Athlon II x4 or Phenom II x4?

going that route, 6000+ 89watt, or the 5600+ 89watt 1mb version would still be good choices, I think mainly from a heat benefit, those 6400+ got smoking hot from what I recall essentially being pushed to the limit in regards to voltage and speed from a stock processor side of the equation, you can take said 6000+ give a slight bump and have it running 6400+ speeds in a jiffy while running cooler then otherwise.

Course going that route why in the hell would you go an Athlon X2 when you can go Athlon II x4 or Phenom II x4?

but those are not the highest he could use the phenom 2 x6 1100T am3 is

I posted mine after you posted yours I was in the process of writing it, all depends on "needs" for what he had described, wouldn't a quad core that has a higher default clock prove to be faster then the hexa core?

I am honestly asking that question as am curious myself as it didn't sound like he needs an uber performing setup and may not get the most out of said 6 cores when the higher clocked 4 cores might show a better benefit? I think and I could be wrong the 4 core chips will def be easier to find not mention a lower cost then the x6 chips as well?

Yes the cheapest I found the 1100t was 165 honestly the board is old does it only need a processor or does it need ram and a video card too... from the op's post he wants to max out the board. Well that is the hex core and more ram the hex core will do better for what he has planned virus scanning the network while downloading distros... for that hard drive space ram and multiple cores for multiple tasks...

http://www.amazon.com/Komputerbay-P...UTF8&qid=1431911174&sr=1-6&keywords=ddr2+1066

here is the max ram for that board...

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
if its DDR2 use DDR2 800 or 1066 class. I know prices aside I would myself go with name brand i.e Gskill and the like, but that's just me, when I clicked on your link it said FB-DIMM, far as I know FB-DIMM will not work with the standard boards it has to be non FB as that would be for the opterons otherwise?

Yes the more cores the merrier when doing all of that same time cant argue that, there are options is all, will state I do recommend a decent cpu cooler however, no need to go massive or nothing like that, but something like a CM hyper 212+ will do perfectly fine and are not that pricey either (I got mine like 3 years ago or something like that with my 955 with 2 of the same fan for $38 shipped here in Canada)

get a phenom II x4 cpu. It will be more than 50% cheaper than the 1100t and there isn't much of a performance difference.

for the most part that is correct though heavily loaded or multi-task performance said x6 will def be faster then the x4 chips this can be somewhat mitigated by a higher clock speed, ramping up HT/CPU-NB speed etc. To be able to do torrents etc at the same time then the x6 will come into a land of its own, I cpu/gpu mine play games etc and am using a PHII 955 I am happy with it, not that often have I found "it would be nice to have more cores/faster"

But hey, if OP was thinking Athlon and there is option for Athlon II x4, Phenom II x4, Phenom II x6 etc in MANY different types well there is much to pick from ^.^, really depends on how much will be run same time, speed requirements, how much willing to spend etc.

for the most part that is correct though heavily loaded or multi-task performance said x6 will def be faster then the x4 chips this can be somewhat mitigated by a higher clock speed, ramping up HT/CPU-NB speed etc. To be able to do torrents etc at the same time then the x6 will come into a land of its own, I cpu/gpu mine play games etc and am using a PHII 955 I am happy with it, not that often have I found "it would be nice to have more cores/faster"

But hey, if OP was thinking Athlon and there is option for Athlon II x4, Phenom II x4, Phenom II x6 etc in MANY different types well there is much to pick from ^.^, really depends on how much will be run same time, speed requirements, how much willing to spend etc.

I'm basing my original response on what the op said he would be using the computer for. So unless downloading torrents, virus scans and data backups can take advantage of more than 4 cores. I'd be surprised if the 1100t would be any better for him than most phenom x4 cpus for those tasks.

I'm basing my original response on what the op said he would be using the computer for. So unless downloading torrents, virus scans and data backups can take advantage of more than 4 cores. I'd be surprised if the 1100t would be any better for him than most phenom x4 cpus for those tasks.

I would tend to agree...for the price premium of the x6 chips, a x4 will likely provide "enough" performance/dollar. Either way, still better than the X2 6400+, etc.

I would tend to agree...for the price premium of the x6 chips, a x4 will likely provide "enough" performance/dollar. Either way, still better than the X2 6400+, etc.

I would be worried more about the OP's board being able to deliver enough power to an X6 without melting. It looks like an awful cheap board.

At this point though, it really isn't worth upgrading. You can get an APU and motherboard combo from Microcenter that will run circles around all but the X6 overclocked and do so for less money than buying an x6.

I would be worried more about the OP's board being able to deliver enough power to an X6 without melting. It looks like an awful cheap board.

At this point though, it really isn't worth upgrading. You can get an APU and motherboard combo from Microcenter that will run circles around all but the X6 overclocked and do so for less money than buying an x6.

How much can a Phenom II X4 cost these days though? I mean if he already has the board and some DDR2 memory, why not grab one? The APU's are nice and all, but he'd also need DDR3 memory which is another ~$50 or so for 2x4GB on sale. Personally, I'd just grab the x4 and run that setup into the ground.

How much can a Phenom II X4 cost these days though? I mean if he already has the board and some DDR2 memory, why not grab one? The APU's are nice and all, but he'd also need DDR3 memory which is another ~$50 or so for 2x4GB on sale. Personally, I'd just grab the x4 and run that setup into the ground.

He has yet to say what all he has in which case if he needs ram and a cpu that is 50+50-199
where an apu based system the a10-7850k is msrp for 127 a decent fm2+ board 60 ram 50

he would need no video card the system as a whole would be faster than all but the x6.

Phenom II X6 1100T is on the supported cpu list for that board

For those of us who don't know our AMD cpu's and AMD motherboards....

That board only supports UP TO, 95watt cpu's.

-NVIDIA GeForce 7025/nForce 630a chipset
-Phenom II / Phenom / Athlon II / Athlon64 /Sempron Support up to 95W CPU
-DDR2 1066/800/667 (DDR2 1066 is supported with combination of AM3/ AM2+ processors)

The 1100T and MOST of the Phenom X4's are 125watt cpu's. Your options for an X6 would be the 1035T, 1045T or 1055T 95watt cpu's and by using the F5 bios.

Your best bet for an X4 is a Athlon II X4 640. It works with the F1 bios.

All of this info is on the Gigabyte website.

For those of us who don't know our AMD cpu's and AMD motherboards....

That board only supports UP TO, 95watt cpu's.

-NVIDIA GeForce 7025/nForce 630a chipset
-Phenom II / Phenom / Athlon II / Athlon64 /Sempron Support up to 95W CPU
-DDR2 1066/800/667 (DDR2 1066 is supported with combination of AM3/ AM2+ processors)

The 1100T and MOST of the Phenom X4's are 125watt cpu's. Your options for an X6 would be the 1035T, 1045T or 1055T 95watt cpu's and by using the F5 bios.

Your best bet for an X4 is a Athlon II X4 640. It works with the F1 bios.

All of this info is on the Gigabyte website.
yet if you look here http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/cpu-support-popup.aspx?pid=3270 that same mobo lists 125w cpu and the 1100T on it... with n/a meaning im being an idiot and gigabyte was being lazy with its cpu list. There are some 125w cpu listed though as supported.

Last edited:
yet if you look here http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/cpu-support-popup.aspx?pid=3270 that same mobo lists 125w cpu and the 1100T on it... with n/a meaning im being an idiot and gigabyte was being lazy with its cpu list. There are some 125w cpu listed though as supported.

Gigabyte is being lazy. You aren't being an idiot.

I will say based on what Waveforme said as well as the pics of that board showing pretty pathetic power circuitry with no heatsinks, I would not trust that board with anything more than a 95w CPU. The board in the OP is also an NForce 630 board, and most of those were relegated to budget designs since the AMD chipsets were more superior for Socket AM2+/AM3 CPU's.

The risk isn't worth it IMO. If the board dies, the cost in replacing it along with the money spent on the CPU would mean he spent as much as a full system upgrade.

Or $60 for a 95W X4 945.

Much better option is relative.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back