What's the BEST Console to Buy Right Now? ?

vilhiem

Weaksauce
OK guys ... I am an old school PC gamer ... and yes, I did learn on a Commodore64 :p

I like games like WoW, BF2, HL2, Quake, F.E.A.R., CounterStrike, etc.

That said ... what is the BEST console system to purchase right now?
(I am guessing PS3?)

Also, I plan to connect it to my Dell 2707 monitor.

Thanks!!!

Vilhiem

Some will say PS3, some will say Xbox 360. I highly doubt the Wii is the sort of thing you'd be interested in, considering the kinds of games you want to play.

The PS3 is slightly more advanced technically, but I've yet to see any title where that actually made a noticeable difference yet. If you get one of the older ones (second hand now, for the most part) you have PS2 and possibly even PS1 support, though I'm not sure there. It also functions as a BluRay player, and is arguably more reliable. There are a few PS3 exclusive titles, but from what I've seen they don't get as much press. The only one I'm personally really interested in is Wipeout HD. Playstation Home is sort of like Second Life and will be launched soon if you're in to that.

The Xbox 360 is less expensive and has a somewhat larger library of games available since it has been out longer. It is backwards compatible with Xbox games. There are a few compelling Xbox 360 exclusive titles like Too Human, but like the PS3 most titles are mutli-platform. Earlier Xbox 360 models suffered from early failure, the 'red ring of death', but this is supposedly dealt with in the latest couple of versions. The 360 did support HD-DVD via an add-on drive, but with the death of the format in favor of BluRay this is no longer a compelling feature.

It basically comes down to do you want a BluRay player and game system and don't mind the extra cost over the 360, or do you not care about BluRay or want to save some money and/or find 360 exclusive titles compelling? Get the system that suits you, don't listen to a mass of fanboys.

the one with the games you want to play right now, and the features you would rather have right now.

There's no mystery about what games are out now, are coming soon, and which console they are on, and the feature set for both consoles is very well known. Decide which you want, and buy that console. It shouldn't be too hard of a process for you to determine what you want.

Thanks for the scoop silent-circuit!

And, Technoob ... I just thought I'd cut to the chase to help me know the key differences (as I trust this forum for that kinda stuff).

Cheers :)

probably ps3 to make your money worth or save from buying bluray.
since hd-dvd is dead now.

I guess this question should really go here ...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK guys ... I am an old school PC gamer ... and yes, I did learn on a Commodore64 :p

I like games like WoW, BF2, HL2, Quake, F.E.A.R., CounterStrike, etc.

That said ... what is the BEST console system to purchase right now?
(I am guessing PS3?)

Also, I plan to connect it to my Dell 2707 monitor.

Thanks!!!

Vilhiem

Regardless of features, it all comes down to the system that has the games you want. I bought a PS3 because the good 360 games will either also be on Windows (I have a gaming system), or will be ported to PS3 eventually. It was an easy choice for me.

If you really like going online and downloading demo's and very small/cheap games, 360 Live Arcade is pretty cool but they charge you for all the little things like wallpapers and shit. You don't see that on PSN (ps3 online), but the selection isn't as large. There are exclusive online PS3 games as well. The 360 has a good selection of older games too (80's90's era).

I have both consoles and I like them both. Recently though I've been playing the PS3 more since I've bought Battlefied: Bad Company. I do have a dual boot OS on my PS3 (ubunto) with a wireless keyboard and mouse to surf the net with on my PS3. Plus, I get to play BD movies when I want. What I found kinda of nice about the BD games is that they are more resistant to scratches. This means if you go into a game shop looking for used games, their more likely to be playable than 360's. This maybe kinda weird, but I like the controls of the 360 over the PS3, but I prefer the sound/video on my PS3 through my reciever.

Good luck with your choice.

I too am an old skool PC gamer starting on teh C64 and TI 99-4a

I own a 360 and Wii

If I didn't own any system I would buy a PS3 hands down. All the big games come out for both systems anyway (GT5 and GOW2 being the exceptions that come to mind). You can upgrade the HDD in teh PS3 which you can't in teh 360, and I hate that. Plus you get teh added benefit of having the best Blu-Ray player on teh market.

the ps3 is THE better console but imo xbox has all the games. kinda wierd how that works out.

2244743508_2490b78f62_o.jpg

I bought a PS3 yesterday after my 5th 360 died. Keep in mind that the RROD is still a pretty big issue.

NKD, thats a good chart, but the PS3 one should really read, "no, [I don't like video games,] but I like movies" ---> PS3. Lil more accurate. Its the only Blu-ray player thats almost gaurenteed to be compatable with every revision of BD Sony can force down our throats... [tangent thought = 1] Man I really am starting to think HD-DVD was the superior format[/tangent thought].

Get a 360. It is the superior platform aside from the heat and noise issues. If you can mange those its by far the superior platform.

Yeah I didn't make the chart. I would probably have reorganized it bit.

But yeah, the Xbox360 has the best traditional console game selection, and the best online features. The major con for me is how loud the thing is. I don't like to play my games super loud since I have great hearing, which means the Xbox360 cooling is pretty loud.

If I didn't turn all my Blurays into x264 I would definitely get a PS3 for that purpose.

The Wii is great when you have some company and want something to do, but if you prefer to do other things when you have company, it will just collect dust. Its arsenal of traditional games is pretty thin.

my post in your other thread was short and simple but overall value, functionality, more than just a gaming console the PS3 is the best bet hands down.

If your buying for the games, then 360. If you want a Blu-Ray player with only a handfull of decent exclusives, then get the PS3.

Wow ... great responses!

Here's another way I am looking at it ...

I really enjoy playing First Person Shooter type games (and I like to play them with a mouse/keyboard). So, that said, ... which of the console systems will offer me more of that "PC-feel"? Especially because I want to connect this up to my nice 27" flat screen Dell monitor anlongside my gaming rig (gonna use a switcher for the monitor).

Getting mouse and keyboard connected (and usable in game) is difficult. I'm fairly sure no Xbox 360 game supports mouse and keyboard in game via the USB ports with the possible exception of the Final Fantasy XI MMO. On the PS3 the only game I'm aware of with direct support for USB mouse and keyboard in game is UT3, and it actually has the option of banning players using a mouse and keyboard from the game when setting up a multiplayer game.

If you prefer mouse and keyboard for FPS I'd look in to the FragFX for PS3. It's a little analog stick much like the Nintendo Wii's "Nunchuck" add on controller with a few more buttons on it and a mouse and mousepad with buttons on it. Unfortunately the mouse is not replaceable, so if you don't like the feel of it you are out of luck. The thing also runs $60 or so. It seems to be the only way to get mouse based aiming support in any title but UT3 without frankenstining together a PS3 to PS2 adapter and one of the old (and greatly flawed) mouse/keyboard adapters for PS2.

Getting a native PS3/Xbox360 mouse and keyboard adapter seems to be a $100+ project, and I'm seeing conflicting reports of mouse lag and other issues...so with that in mind, the FragFX may actually be your best option.

thanks (again) silent-circuit :)

Gosh, it's sounding more and more like getting this ol' dinosaur PC gamer (me) to try out one of these new-fangled console systems is gonna take quite a leap of faith :p

I'm thinking one of my biggest adjustment factors is just trying to find a 'game controller' that I could get comfortable with (as I have used a mouse/keyboard for like 14 years).

Look at the FragFX. Again, probably your best bet. It works in all games and isn't insanely expensive. You don't get a keyboard, but moving with the analog stick isn't difficult to get used to at all, it's aiming... and so your have the mouse. Seems like a good setup, honestly, I just wish they'd let you connect your own mouse to it rather than using the supplied one.

If youve got a gaming pc, theres no reason to buy the 360.
I'll second this, Xbox 360 share similar games with the PC. On top of that, some Xbox 360 exclusives get ported to the PC. On the other hand the PS3 has stellar first party games that will possibly never be ported to the PC.

EDIT: And if you're considering the Wii, I say choose the Wii hands down.

I own both and hands down the ps3 is the better console. I find that most games are available on both consoles and exclusives on 360 are usually ported to pc. The main thing is that the ps3 is pretty much like having another pc in the house. Even without linux installed it has a good web browser and streaming video and audio to the ps3 works very well. Also once you watch a bluray movie you'll never settle for dvd video anymore. Having free online multiplayer doesn't hurt either.

Buy the one that has more of the games you want. It's really that simple. The "best" will always be subjective and vary from person to person.

The PS3 has a 'Controller' that is half controller, half mouse. I can't remember what it's called but it has a mouse and pad instead of the right analogue stick, so you can use mouse sensitivity in FPS that don't support a mouse. The mouse has the buttons that normally would be on the right side of the controller.

I own a ps3 myself but would have to say that if you want something that can do what your pc cannot then get a wii. PS3's still don't have THAT many good games (MGS4 is freaking amazing don't get me wrong) but most that are good are either on or coming to pc. Similarly, EVERYTHING good on 360 seems to end up on pc with the exception of Halo which if you don't own already then you aren't a big enough of a fanboy to bother. Wii is the only truly unique from pc and I myself have been looking to get one but I'm hella cheap and can't find one under 300.

If you don't go for those colorful Nintendo games then I'd go ps3 all the way, but it is basically a pc with bluray. I feel it is better than the 360 if you own a gaming pc because everything is either on pc or ps3 as well.

I own a ps3 myself but would have to say that if you want something that can do what your pc cannot then get a wii. PS3's still don't have THAT many good games (MGS4 is freaking amazing don't get me wrong) but most that are good are either on or coming to pc. Similarly, EVERYTHING good on 360 seems to end up on pc with the exception of Halo which if you don't own already then you aren't a big enough of a fanboy to bother. Wii is the only truly unique from pc and I myself have been looking to get one but I'm hella cheap and can't find one under 300.

If you don't go for those colorful Nintendo games then I'd go ps3 all the way, but it is basically a pc with bluray. I feel it is better than the 360 if you own a gaming pc because everything is either on pc or ps3 as well.

The OP is a self proclaimed "gamer" and the Wii is pretty much without exception for non-gamers. It's great if you live in a house with many people of greatly varying ages or your a college student looking for something to do with your drinking buddies, but I don't think he fits either of those categories.

Of the few games that come out on the Wii and appeal to gamers, most are inferior ports of PS3/Xbox 360 titles with missing features like no downloadable content and no character customization or very poor to non-existent online support. The Wii is great for retro gaming as well, but it gets extremely expensive fast being nickle and dimed for games you could pick up in a bargain bin for $2-10 anymore. 9/10s+ of the Virtual Console titles you're better off emulating on a PC with a USB gamepad.

If you have a high end PC and can afford to replace your video card every 9 months or so to be able to play the games at high resolutions then there is no point in getting a 360 since a majority of the games will be ported to the PC. The only exception to this rule is if you are like me and grew tired of having to patch games, figure out why something isn't working properly. I used to have a pretty high end PC (2 HD4850's in crossfire) and my 360 just sat there never being used. I have since sold my HD4850's and bought some games for my 360. I am having a lot more fun playing on my 360 than I did on my PC. Something definitely has to be said for kicking back on the couch putting the game in and be playing within 2 minutes, no messing around with patches or whatever.

XBox 360, simply by virtue of the fact that the games library is much, MUCH larger than the PS3, and has much better and more titles than the Wii.

If youve got a gaming pc, theres no reason to buy the 360.

False. Not every game comes out for PC, and the eagerly awaited ones that do take months to.

Again, it's about the games. look at which kinds of games you want and look at the lists for all of them. Don't let elitism keep you from playing the games you want.

If you like playing games on your PC then the PS3 will probably offer more value since its exclusives never go to the PC unlike almost all the 360's exclusives. Thats the only reason I went with PS3 over 360, every single game I wanted to play on the 360 is on PC, MGS4 and Little Big Planet pushed me to the PS3 when I was debating which console to get for GTA4.

Back