Whats the best bulk CAT 6 cable to use??

vwild2002

Weaksauce
I have to hook up 40+ computers in a school environment, so what is the best CAT 6 cable to use and where is the best place to buy it. I am going to need around 3000ft of cable.

Thanks

there are a few places online, like CDW and insight. I would suggest finding which has the better price, then calling up the other to try and get them to match or better that price, keep going back and forth for a couple of times, and your can normaly get it droped a bit ;) This is how the department of the University I work as a student tech for does it.

Thats how the company I work for does it from time to time.

Most of the time we by our cable from a company called Berk-Tek. They manufacture the stuff and its only a couple klicks up the road.

If you buy retail it's most likely UL listed anyway. Hell, Home Depot sells 1000' spools for 75 bux. I've done a ton of cabling with it and it seems fine.

I've used Space Shuttle brand as well as the command linx or whatever the general use cat5 or 6 cable is that Home Depot sells. I didn't really see much of a difference between them.

It's really a matter of preference.

I usually just grab whatever is cheap and meets my needs on cdw. I'd go with cat5e as it will run gbit ethernet, no reason to spend extra for the cat6. I usually grab the stranded kind as well, as it's much easier to run than the solid crap. You will most likely need plenum cable as well for firecodes.

There are a variety of brands, depends on how much you want to spend on cable.
Higher end-Amp, Belden, Nordx/CDT, Berk-Tek, Systimax
Lower end-General Cable, Genesis, Mohawk/CDT, CommScope
I would go to a datacom distributor like Anixter or Graybar and see what they recommend.

Jeff

Back