What's the BEST 780 TI?

I have the MSI Twin Frozr and it is a great card I have since put it in a water loop, but even with the stock cooler it was a great card. I think the galaxy HOF is supposed to be the best performing from what I've read though. I don't think you can find it here in the US though.

I would suggest you read some of the reviews on HardOCP and Guru3D about what is out there in the world.

Users will always give you a biased review, or their performance may be system specific.

Also do you want air or watercooled?
Does price make a difference?
Stock or Overclocked? Obviously Overclock is user specific and highly individually controlled.

Well I'd prefer one that is already overclocked to the max. I didn't know you could buy GPU's with water cooling on them.

Price is not an issue I just want to buy a card that is going to give me the best performance. I understand that the cards above the 780TI aren't really very good for gaming correct?

Well I'd prefer one that is already overclocked to the max. I didn't know you could buy GPU's with water cooling on them.

Price is not an issue I just want to buy a card that is going to give me the best performance. I understand that the cards above the 780TI aren't really very good for gaming correct?

The Gigabyte 780Tighz edition is about the highest factory overclock I have seen in the reviews, in fact the factory overclock is almost as high as some cards can manually clock to. I have the OC version and it is very quiet and runs very cool.

Zotac AMP!=best price+performance ratio. Lots of bad reports about the Gigabyte 780 Ti ghz on New Egg.

If you want max, then the EVGA Classified is going to be your deal.

Dollar for dollar, I'd get this one.....http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127770&cm_re=780_ti-_-14-127-770-_-Product
MSI makes quality products, and you can probably push this one harder.
The Frozr coolers are very quiet and efficient.

I don't care if I'm dogged for it the one in my sig is rock solid. It has decently high clock speeds stock and oc's well. It stays cool as a cucumber with the 3 fan cooler.
Same model as the Palit jetstream. http://www3.pny.com/GTX_780_Ti_3072MB_OC_PCIe?sku=VCGGTX780T3XPB-OC

It's honestly been solid a f... That's very important to me. Haven't had a single headache with it but that might be a testament to the 780ti itself :) Man I wish I had those 4 months of headaches back I had with the 290X I had. I think I just grabbed a lemon there...

Last edited:
Well, the EVGA GTX 780Ti Kingpin http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JLU1YF0 is the "best" 780Ti out there but unless you are going to water cool and do some extreme overclocking it's not worth even considering.

If you want all around quality and price, my suggestion is the ASUS GTX 780Ti DCUII http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HSY1RVC which is the card that I have and I can vouch that it is an excellent card for overclocking due to the GPU and VRM cooling.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Asus DC U II

I can't speak for the 780 TI model, but the 290X I had was a DCII I'll never by another one again after than nightmare. It really sucked because it was the only time I ever bought a card going off a [H]ard|OCP recommendation that went sour. 4 RMA's on a gold award card. Like I said I could have just grabbed a lemon. It happens. I for sure have had incredible luck with all my GPU purchases in the past so I guess it was just my turn. That being said this is my 7th PNY card. and they have all been great. All of them still work! :) Even the 7800 GTX, 7900 GTX, and the 8800 GTX.

A lot of it beyond whatever HSF is included is silicon lottery. Sometimes you buy an expensive Lightning and it's a lemon, other times you pick up a cheap PNY part and it's practically a golden sample. As someone who water cools I just go for a decent reference card and slap a block on it which can turn even an under-performing card into a decent clocker in most cases, but of course it's never guaranteed.

I would advise you not pay for an overclock unless you're absolutely, positively sure you'll never want to tweak it yourself as it tends to really not be worth the price premium. Instead spend that extra money on better cooling options.

If I'm going to go SLI is there much point getting two gigabyte 780Ti GHZ editions over two regular gigabyte 780ti's?

Unless you have X79 which allows 2+ (more preferably) between cards, I would suggest just getting reference for SLI.

You can make custom cards work in SLI but it is very difficult on mainstream motherboards (eg Z87, Z97) because they typically only allow 1 slot in between. This means you're dumping 500W of heat inside of your case and I dont' give a crap what anyone says, there are no amounts of case fans that can sustain that amount of heat / airflow for hours. I was in the same situation with a CM Cosmos 2 case with Lightning GPUs, 1 space between, and it was a headache. And BTW, the mobo at the time, a Z77 Deluxe board from asus had limited space between cards in the PCIE 3.0 CPU lanes (1.5 IIRC) and it was not enough.

Reference will avoid any such headaches. Unless you're running an open test bench or an EATX case with a gabillion fans and/or perhaps X79. X79 or a PLX platform would be best for custom cards in SLI. Test bench will also make this easy, but who the heck besides reviewers do that.

Otherwise. Reference is way less hassle for SLI since it exhauts air out of the REAR, meaning you don't have 500W TDP of hot air at 100% GPU utilization floating around your case. Like I said. No amount of case fans can expel that EASILY, period. What happened to me was, the top card would slowly heat up over time and after an hour or so i'd get TDR's. I was able to make it work, but it was a PITA. Just get reference to make life easier for SLI IMO.

Unless you have X79 which allows 2+ (more preferably) between cards, I would suggest just getting reference for SLI.

You can make custom cards work in SLI but it is very difficult on mainstream motherboards (eg Z87, Z97) because they typically only allow 1 slot in between. This means you're dumping 500W of heat inside of your case and I dont' give a crap what anyone says, there are no amounts of case fans that can sustain that amount of heat / airflow for hours. I was in the same situation with a CM Cosmos 2 case with Lightning GPUs, 1 space between, and it was a headache. And BTW, the mobo at the time, a Z77 Deluxe board from asus had limited space between cards in the PCIE 3.0 CPU lanes (1.5 IIRC) and it was not enough.

Reference will avoid any such headaches. Unless you're running an open test bench or an EATX case with a gabillion fans and/or perhaps X79. X79 or a PLX platform would be best for custom cards in SLI. Test bench will also make this easy, but who the heck besides reviewers do that.

Otherwise. Reference is way less hassle for SLI since it exhauts air out of the REAR, meaning you don't have 500W TDP of hot air at 100% GPU utilization floating around your case. Like I said. No amount of case fans can expel that EASILY, period. What happened to me was, the top card would slowly heat up over time and after an hour or so i'd get TDR's. I was able to make it work, but it was a PITA. Just get reference to make life easier for SLI IMO.

What do you mean by "reference"? Any card that blows the heat out the back?

Would you happen to know what the best reference 780ti is?

I think the EVGA 780Ti Superclocked is the best one I've come across.

Last edited:
What do you mean by "reference"? Any card that blows the heat out the back?

Would you happen to know what the best reference 780ti is?

I think the EVGA 780Ti Superclocked is the best one I've come across.

Yeah, any of the ones with the silver Titan shroud with the Geforce logo on the side. With the SC EVGA cards you can get the ACX or the reference, I would prefer the reference blower for SLI.

Back