What's the advantage of the NVIDIA cards over the Radeon cards ?

This is really sad.

Did the world stop being able to have an intelligent conversation?

We are talking about video cards, something so objective.

OP question should lead to n reasons. End of thread.

Yet it is like a bunch of little bit bitches arguing if the White House is red or green!
Video cards are serious business and have been for years. I think just about every "hobby" has certain things that just are this way.

For instance in saltwater aquarium/reefkeeping circles mention powerheads - yes, pumps to simply move water - and there will soon be blood after a manufacturer is named. It can get a bit crazy with other equipment as well, but some simple stupid pumps really gets people going much the same as video cards.

Let's not even get started on automotive topics.

Video cards are serious business and have been for years. I think just about every "hobby" has certain things that just are this way.

For instance in saltwater aquarium/reefkeeping circles mention powerheads - yes, pumps to simply move water - and there will soon be blood after a manufacturer is named. It can get a bit crazy with other equipment as well, but some simple stupid pumps really gets people going much the same as video cards.

Audio video forums it's differences in amplifiers, cables, and speaker designs that rile the masses.

Fuck Vortex and their overpriced shit ;)

Two Fury X in crossfire will beat two 1070 in SLI in many cases. Crossfire scales better than SLI.

But yes AMD doesn't have an answer to the Nvidia 1080 or 1080ti in single card performance.

For all intensive purposes the Fury X is just a smidge behind the 1070, and more equitable to the 980ti. Until you do two or three way crossfire vs two or three way SLI.

LOL, 2 Fury X to get the same performance as 2x 1070? You made of money or something? 2x Fury X cost is way more than 2x 1070s.

LOL, 2 Fury X to get the same performance as 2x 1070? You made of money or something? 2x Fury X cost is way more than 2x 1070s.

used FuryX looks like they run well over 400-500 on ebay, even the standard fury looks like its 350+ you can get 1070s for less than that for sure.

And Fury X came out in 2015...when 1070 weren't even announced or roadmapped for public consumption....

never the less - there was a solid six-eight month period, ending a few months back, where you could buy a XFX Fury X new for $300 - $330, and a Fury Nitro or alternate Fury card for $230ish new. Those were the end of the new stock. I bought both of my cards for $300-$330 range new and six months apart. I have freesync monitors in eyefinity - and I can get better performance from a pair of Fury X than I can from a pair of 1070 for about the same street price.

Now, yes, used are going for more than that, and it no longer makes sense to buy the overpriced used Fury cards, when you can get 1070 cards new for $320-340 -- unless you have unique circumstances like I have.

I paid $300-$325 each for my three 32" 1440p montiors with freesync. I paid $300-$325 each for my Fury X.

So my total cost for the 96" of screen and power to drive with freesync was say 1500-1600. For Nvidia I'd have had to spend about $600 each for the gsync equivalent 1440p monitors, and $400 each for the 1070 cards at the time I purchased --- so that would have been $2600. I didn't think, gsync ws worth the extra $1100 over the freesync setup.

Last edited:
Can someone explain why anyone would buy the overpriced Fury cards, used even...?

cause of post 54 in this thread.

And freesync.
Some pretty amazing results but just numbers and not game play reality. Granted it is tough, really tough to do large real game play data. By the time you are done many updates may have been inserted.

I've used Nvidia Geforce cards for the last 15 years or so and they just work......until I installed the Windows 10 creators update/WDDM 2.2 recently. A few patches and driver updates later, everything seems to be working as they should again.

Tried a couple of Radeon cards during during the ATi days and I wasn't too happy with the drivers and hardware. I hear things are so much better now. I'll probably try out a Polaris Radeon card for my new low-end build to see for myself how far they've improved.

Quality, g-sync and resale value.

Quality = ??

G-Sync = You pay a big premium for ?? (There's FS 30-144hz monitors of the same display panel as their Gsync counterpart since years now). This isn't actually an advantage. It's a major disadvantage as you pay more for what is essentially FREE because NV refuse to support industry standards.

Resale value = Mining booms have resulted in used GCN cards being sold for more than they were originally bought for. You can sell used RX 480 for $200 on ebay. Like 0% depreciation. These days, used 980Ti goes for what, $250 to $300 used? From $699, that isn't good resale value at all.

AMD's current lineup doesn't include a card to compete with the 1070, 1080, Titan X, or 1080 Ti. Until AMD has a card or two or three to compete in the top tier, your premise is false.

Very much this. Which is a real shame as proper competion would help drive Nvidias increasingly higher prices down. I really hope Vega ends up being excellent even though I probably won't buy one because my next upgrade will be 4K G-Sync and a GPU to run that (have my eyes on Volta).

Please don't compare the Fury X with reference 980 Ti or Titan X. The 980 Ti is closer to reference 1080 when overclocked whereas the Fury X unfortunately barely overclocks despite the water cooler.

Driverwise I feel Nvidia has a small edge in fast driver updates for new games but otherwise both perform ok. Nvidia has a shitty control panel that has been barely updated in the last 10 years.
For older games and emulators Nvidia seems to perform better. I think they just spent more time optimizing for DX9/10/11 back in the day. It is pretty niche but if you want to run MacOS on your PC, Nvidia is a much better bet because AMD cards are really problematic to get running despite being what Apple uses in real Macs.

We have both AMD 390 and Nvidia 980 Ti in the household at the moment and other than performance both perform fine at 1080p and 1440p respectively. I bought the 390 mainly because at the time it was the best performance/price ratio for a midrange card.

It's a major disadvantage as you pay more for what is essentially FREE because NV refuse to support industry standards.

1. It isn't 'Free', it still costs the manufacturers the hardware to actually implement. Free of licensing fees perhaps, but definitely NOT free. We don't really see it because we don't have FreeSync monitors that also have a completely Sync-less counterpart, and because of the price competitiveness, it usually devolves down to manufacturers using the least cost method of implementing it. Also not to mention the complete lack of ULMB feature, though I digress that usefulness of ULMB depends heavily on the game and the panel itself.

2. nVidia supporting FreeSync would be a VERY bad news for RTG, FreeSync's prices and its much better monitor selection is one of those few things that keeps RTG afloat. If nVidia supported FreeSync right here, right now, I am sure some of those who were waiting on Vega due to them having FreeSync monitor will jump onto nVidia, especially those with higher resolutions.

Not that I don't want nVidia to support FreeSync (I want them to), but it'll spell disaster for RTG.

If Nvidia supported Freesync then Gsync would be utterly pointless. Just not enough advantage. Nvidia would lose out in some of the control over people future buying decisions.

The biggest advantage Nvidia has over AMD is that Nvidia has cards in stock.
because they have never been on demand for mining due to their weakness in algorithms at the peak of mining-popularity

Can someone explain me how that guy scored one GTX 1080 and one GTX 1070 way before their launch dates? and not only that, the video was published 12 days before the 1080 launch date, and almost one month before the GTX 1070 launch, disabled votes? fake video.. fake numbers.
favoritism and corruption - knowing who is who in the zoo helps landing jobs too

It's weird you post this today of all days possible.
I was not sure which day to post it so i just chose Tuesday my time zone.
My brother Linus from tech tips wanted to go to Hong Kong on a Wednesday but he went on the Thursday i guess.

Back