What's some good games to take on a laptop for a trip?

HRslammR

2[H]4U
800mhz/128meg old school laptop that is. i was thinking some starcraft or diablo... dunno yet. what are some suggestions?

I keep CIV3 around for just such an occasion. All 4x games are great for trips. If the laptop is too old, try Civ2. Or if it seems to have no trouble with either of those, try Galaxy Civilizations.

Go old school and play Heroes of Might and Magic II or III. You can try Ultima VII as well or even X-Com! The choices are endless really.

Risk
Age of Empires
Moonbase Commander (I cannot pimp this game enough, it's just so addicting)

Jedi knight 1, quake 2 :) of course starcraft and diablo (why not diablo II as well)

quake 3 arena or counter strike if you and a friend/family member have wireless networks cards :)

i did that one on a plane trip
set up a little ad-hoc network and lan on the plane

Definately Starcraft:Broodwar, Diablo 2, it should be able to handle UT2K3, if not, i'd say Age of Empires 2: Conquerers or Rise Of Nations

I lost my wife to Roller Coaster Tycoon for almost a year. Times were rough, dinner was late, clothes were dirty. I try not to think about it too much, thanks a lot.

heatsinker said:
You can try Ultima VII as well or even X-Com!

I've lost the last 3 days to X-COM: Terror From The Deep. That game is great for passing the time, and will run on basically everything. It's a nice mix of turn-based strategy and micro-management/planning-style gaming.

My suggestion is something you can totally lose yourself in: Command & Conquer, Rollercoaster tycoon, Simcity X000, Starcraft, or the like. Hell, load up Doom II and have a ball. :D

compslckr, how the hell did you set up a ad-hoc LAN on the plane? My limited networking-knowlege tells me that couldn't be done without a lot of extra baggage. :D

I second Rise of Nations and Diablo 2 and will throw in Emulations. Nothing like playing some SNES/Genesis.

Truxton, Star Fox, Ghoules and Ghosts would be my picks for Genesis/SNES off the top of my head. oh and Earth Worm Jim 1 and 2!!!

]|[ Mar']['in ]|[ said:
I second Rise of Nations and Diablo 2 and will throw in Emulations. Nothing like playing some SNES/Genesis.

Truxton, Star Fox, Ghoules and Ghosts would be my picks for Genesis/SNES off the top of my head. oh and Earth Worm Jim 1 and 2!!!
sonic, vectorman, and the classic toejam and earl.

odoe said:
I lost my wife to Roller Coaster Tycoon for almost a year. Times were rough, dinner was late, clothes were dirty. I try not to think about it too much, thanks a lot.

Haha. :D Nice.

I wish I had a girl who gamed.

Actually, I just wish I had a girl. :(

Uhm, Thief Gold, anyone

C&C: Red Alert 2, C&C: Tiberian Sun...Half-Life single player, original Unreal Tournament :D

Command & Conqurere
Red Alert
Rise Of The Triad
Myst
Atari Arcade Collection
Raiden (old school 2D shooter)

Emulation is the way to go. Nothing like a little old school Final Fantasy

I say XCOM:Terror from the Deep also. I spent a whole summer playing that game, in fact I think I'll dig it out hehe.

i am actually going on a 6 hour plane trip and then a 7 hour car ride so i am bringing along my old laptop too and am going to be playing diablo 2 for the first time... hope i like it :)

-warsaw

I whole-heartedly second both Planescape: Torment and Fallout 2, two of the best role-playing games ever made (or will ever be made, IMHO). For a bit more action, find a copy of Final Doom and re-live the early 90s :D .

Along with some of the previously mentioned games, I have Shogun: Total War on my old POS laptop, and it runs flawlessly.

I also, along with some of you others, highly recommend Civ3. It's one of the most addictive games I've ever played.

warsawtag said:
i am actually going on a 6 hour plane trip and then a 7 hour car ride so i am bringing along my old laptop too and am going to be playing diablo 2 for the first time... hope i like it :)

-warsaw

delete that game as soon as you're done with it and sell it. not because it sucks. but it's just too damn fun, addicting, soul-corrupting. i spend far too many nights and hours and days on that game. i still miss it sometimes. that's when it's the hardest. when it just grips your soul and won't let go.

i won't be taking a diablo 2... for the sake of my life. :) (well and the 700 megs on a 5 gig harddrive)

Any good single player game is good for a road trip, especially strategy games.

Warcraft II/III (if it can run 3), SNES emulation (any old-sk00l RPG, FF series, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana), or.... OR.... any of the Worms games :D

Back