What's it like being an AutoCAD technician?

That's_Corporate

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm moving to a city in a few weeks with quite a bit of AutoCAD work. So I was wondering: What is it like being an entry-level AutoCAD dude? I know it's probably not glamorous (which I don't mind), but I have no idea what kind of career it would lead into.

Can anyone help a brother out with some info?

PS: I really enjoy design work, so it should play to my strengths/interests.

definitely not glamorous. You can expect to be picking up "redlines" aka. corrections. There are quite a few specialty fields that you can move on to. Piping, Structural, Civil, Architectural, Checking, and Cad Management.

Get some project files, study CAD and work with it. See if you like, it´s hard to like. Just to be clear, "new guys" don´t get to design anything. You construct and or modify other peoples designs for many years (usually). To be frank the work is incredibly boring and full of endless repetition. Some people like it, but this was just my impression after work with it for a couple of years.

I'm a cad jockey for a mfg. in my area. Mostly solidworks. It's fun, but I'm actually getting to design things and have them made. Tooling, fixtures, jigs, and robot end-effectors. Cad can be fun when you get to be creative.

Back