What's good wireless network setup for 2 computers?

juztyn

Gawd
OK heres the situation, my friends getting dsl, he lives about 500 - 600 feet from me, but running an ethernet line is not an option. We dont need to connect a lot of computers, just his and mine, there's no real obstacles other than a fence, though i dont exactly have line of sight to his room... what's a good cheap wireless setup that will work for us?

first of all say that you are creating a network with him and not stealing his dsl :p

but anyways 500-600 feet wont work from something you buy at staples... you will need a directional antenna to shoot that far... we do this at my work because we have 3 separate buildings...

look into the setup for the cisco aeronet (but thats expensive)
just to get an idea of what you will need

Are there any cheap alternatives? even if it had an antenna... as long as it was pretty cheap...

Are you next door nieghbors with big yards, across the street, or down the street?

Oh, and pringles cans wouldn't work to good outside, IMO.

big yards... basically its like:
^ ------------- _ ------ ^
his house - his yard- fence -my yard - my house
We're out in the country so no real interference... no trees or anything either... I've been reading on the net... would this work - http://www.accelenet.net/wireless_low.html... And what would be better two of the d'links or two of the linksys? And how would you go about setting these up? since it's just my computer and his, and we dont already have a wired network, these work fine in point to point? Oh and is there any noticeable lag in this type of setup?

Back