what's good about True Image??

nietsni3

Limp Gawd
i see people sackriding True Image everywhere and never understand it.
I have tested and compared True Image 10 vs Ghost 12 vs ShadowProtect. and if not for the fact that Ghost 12 does not do backup from boot CD, True Image ranks last in every single category. the most terrible thing is that True Image's boot CD is very slow to backup/restore to USB drives because it does not support USB 2.0. you have to build a bartPE bootCD with USB 2.0 plugin to use it :mad:.
on the other hand, ShadowProtect is extremely fast, even faster than Ghost 12, and has almost no flaws. but i dont see anyone using it :confused:

okay?? And your point is? Did acronis crash your system and you had to buy or build a new pc???

For me, i have acronis 8.0. It works perfect, and thats all, why consider the alternatives when this does exactly what i want it to do????
And second, I dont care about speed, because it takes a while (about an hour for 50 gigs) to do a full backup without compression. So, i just find something else to do, or hop on one of my two laptops.

Also thats a lie about not able to backup via usb2.0. As i have stated before i have 8.0, and you see the time i posted for 50 gigs, thats to my external usb drive that you see in my sig. Hell i remember when i had to move just 25 gigs of music from my old pc via IPOD (using usb1.0) it took the whole night. So with 50 gigs in 1 hr is using the usb 2.0 feature.

okay?? And your point is? Did acronis crash your system and you had to buy or build a new pc???

For me, i have acronis 8.0. It works perfect, and thats all, why consider the alternatives when this does exactly what i want it to do????
And second, I dont care about speed, because it takes a while (about an hour for 50 gigs) to do a full backup without compression. So, i just find something else to do, or hop on one of my two laptops.

Also thats a lie about not able to backup via usb2.0. As i have stated before i have 8.0, and you see the time i posted for 50 gigs, thats to my external usb drive that you see in my sig. Hell i remember when i had to move just 25 gigs of music from my old pc via IPOD (using usb1.0) it took the whole night. So with 50 gigs in 1 hr is using the usb 2.0 feature.
:rolleyes:
if you have to buy a new PC because of a backup software crash, perhaps PCs are not for you to begin with.
I lied about the USB 2.0 :rolleyes:? LMAO.
did you backup/restore from an Acronis Boot CD (yes, the authentic one from Acronis) or from windows or from a bartPE-based boot CD?? i dont know about your true image 8.0, but the true image 10 boot CD is based on linux, and for some reason they didn't make it to support USB 2.0.

I've gotten usb2 speeds off true image before without issue. Wait to say it was with the workstation version though. Not sure if I've tried it with 10 but I thought I had. This was with the rescue media built from an install from windows. Maybe it doesn't like your usb controller? Not sure otherwise.

Anyway I use to use ghost a lot and still use the corporate version for some clients. Use to work pretty good but I started to find a lot of issues where it would not clone a drive but true image would without issue and in many cases much faster. I have a boxed copy of ghost sitting around here somewhere that has the 03 and the newer version in it although I'm not sure if they have come out with a newer version since then. I think it was ghost 10 that I have though. The newer ghost for home users sucked. For one I prefer to do a backup without going into windows. I've seen issues with backups done during windows before and would rather boot off a cd or whatever to do it. Pretty much cuts ghost out of the picture right there. Last version of corporate I've used is like 8.3 or something and I know they have replaced that with a vista compatable version. Issue with 8.3 was that it just didn't support as much stuff as acronis did. I really prefer the boot cd that seems to work on most systems nics then having to find ndis drivers for ghost. The older version of ghost for home users had the same issues.

Haven't tried the storagecraft product yet. I might have to check that out.

I don't use Acronis 10 anymore. I had it on three units and it was more trouble than any crash.

I've gotten usb2 speeds off true image before without issue. Wait to say it was with the workstation version though. Not sure if I've tried it with 10 but I thought I had. This was with the rescue media built from an install from windows. Maybe it doesn't like your usb controller? Not sure otherwise.

Anyway I use to use ghost a lot and still use the corporate version for some clients. Use to work pretty good but I started to find a lot of issues where it would not clone a drive but true image would without issue and in many cases much faster. I have a boxed copy of ghost sitting around here somewhere that has the 03 and the newer version in it although I'm not sure if they have come out with a newer version since then. I think it was ghost 10 that I have though. The newer ghost for home users sucked. For one I prefer to do a backup without going into windows. I've seen issues with backups done during windows before and would rather boot off a cd or whatever to do it. Pretty much cuts ghost out of the picture right there. Last version of corporate I've used is like 8.3 or something and I know they have replaced that with a vista compatable version. Issue with 8.3 was that it just didn't support as much stuff as acronis did. I really prefer the boot cd that seems to work on most systems nics then having to find ndis drivers for ghost. The older version of ghost for home users had the same issues.

Haven't tried the storagecraft product yet. I might have to check that out.
you definitely should check shadowprotect out. not like i am advertising for them, but i was really amazed at the performance of the software. it was twice as fast as True Image and 1.5 as fast as Ghost 12. for example, backing up 17GB in Windows at highest compression ratio and highest task priority took 17min for True Image, 11min for Ghost 12, and 8mins for ShadowProtect. all numbers are rounded up, of course.

I found that True Image 8.0 was the best solution for me when I was looking into personal backup software. Ghost had just been bought by Symantec recently and I found it awkward to use and a bit unreliable at times (had it at work).

I know nothing of ShadowProtect or newer stuff, but I think that Acronis got a nice following in the same era that I was looking into backup solutions. Their product was simple, pretty cheap, and seems to work ~100% of the time.

:rolleyes:
if you have to buy a new PC because of a backup software crash, perhaps PCs are not for you to begin with.
I lied about the USB 2.0 :rolleyes:? LMAO.
did you backup/restore from an Acronis Boot CD (yes, the authentic one from Acronis) or from windows or from a bartPE-based boot CD?? i dont know about your true image 8.0, but the true image 10 boot CD is based on linux, and for some reason they didn't make it to support USB 2.0.

Yes i do backup and restore from the boot cd. Always. I have never did it from the OS or any other device. It doesnt come with a boot cd. It comes with an installation disc(in a blue box with yellow trimmings mind you im talking about 8.0), and after you install the program, you create a boot cd from there. As easy as that. Whenever i back up, i never go into windows (its like changing oil while the car is running), i boot str8 from the cd and go from there. Simple as that.
Im not knocking the product you have but i see no reason to change, as far as im concerned. Your product might be excellent, but, as far as my backup program, if it aint broke....
Oh and my acronis 8.0 is authentic, i bought it from overstock.com for $18 plus shipping.heres the link

Back