What's going on with the 5970?

heatlesssun

Extremely [H]
So I'm thinking about picking up one or two of these puppies but gee, not many models. The only one I found on NewEgg as this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161311&Tpk=5970

The XFX cards are gone from NewEgg, and I mean as they no longer offer them for sale, not just out of stock.

So here's what I'm thinking are my options:

2x 5970s
3x 5870s
2x 5870s

Budget (well anything under $1500) is not an issue. What would you do?

My guess is that AMD is continuing to have yield issues with its foundry, which means low supplies of 40nm chips for the near future.

Just speculation on my part.

Yep. Kyle posted AMD admitted they underestimated the demand for 5970s.

ATI needs to fix the issues with the VRAM cooling on the 5970, that's what preventing the card from OC'ing beyond 850MHz which they promised. I hope they are holding off on making more cards until they improve the cooler.

i wouldnt grab a 5970 right yet. ive been keeping an eye on them since release and they have many issues. I would wait a bit or maybe grab x2 5870's

if i had my choice id easily grab x2 or x3 5870's or even 5850's right now i just dont have that kind of cash laying around.

i got one 5850 and im pleased i am grabbing a second 5850 in about 2 weeks so i cant wait. they say there is a 10 - 15% increase going from a 5850 to a 5870 so im sure they will Rock

actually there is one problem with that. Nvidia has blocked this Option.

Since the release of 186 graphics drivers Nvidia has decided to disable PhysX anytime a Non-Nvidia GPU is even present in the same PC. Nvidia again has shot themselves in the foot here and showed they are not customer oriented. Since they are pushing Physx this will not win over any ATI fanboys with this latest decision.

In order to do this you would have to use Old outdated drivers

I was going to grab a 5970 to go along with the 5870 I purchased. I ultimately decided on just doing another 5870 since they're so readily available at the moment. I was able to get both cards for around $350 each (after BCB), so they wind up being about the same price as the 5970 currently is anyways and don't have to mess with overclocking. I think they should tied me over for at least a little while ;)

buy 3 had 5870's and that will be around 1200, and with the other 300 you can buy me a hd 5850 so I can crossfire, LOL> HAPPY HOLIDAY GAMING>

Back