What's faster? AMD vs G5

Erasmus354 said:
A cookie for you!

/me gives TSS Modder a cookie
SCORE!! i love my cookies and apples.... :D

maybe i hang out at apple.com a little too much... :( they had that whole article on there about VTech. really amazing stuff. you lucky little SOB.... :p

(cf)Eclipse said:
i can't say i've ever looked, video stuff isn't my thing, and it seems like it's one of few things that actually use firewire. while i doubt there's usb ports, i'm sure there's a few with usb2 ;)
(correct me if i'm wrong)

Here is a benchmark comparing FireWire to USB 2.0... guess who wins? :p

[ Link ]

USB 2.0 still doesn't have the sustained transfer rate allowing the live capture and recording of DV video.

aBSoLuT_0 said:
That's true, but up until Windows XP 64-bit edition, it still wasn't viable. OS X has been out how long? ;)

Apple's reptuation has always been to implement new technology first. Everyone else is always at least one step behind. Take Firewire for example...

Linux buddy.

AMD/Intel are not limited to being Windows only. You can happlily run Linux all day on a AMD/Intel system with amazing perfromance. And there is 64bit Linux.

Skrying said:
AMD/Intel are not limited to being Windows only. You can happlily run Linux all day on a AMD/Intel system with amazing perfromance. And there is 64bit Linux.
Word, Linux is deffinatly sweet.

Skrying said:

Well I never meant to leave *nix out of the equation, especially since OS X is built around it. But *nix never sees any time in a content production environment. Programming, sure, but never audio/video/imaging.

aBSoLuT_0 said:
Well I never meant to leave *nix out of the equation, especially since OS X is built around it. But *nix never sees any time in a content production environment. Programming, sure, but never audio/video/imaging.

Doesn't Pixar's render farm run linux?

aBSoLuT_0 said:

*nix never used in a content creation environment? I must have imagined using some form of unix/Irix/linux for graphics work for the last.. 15 years or so... before that was some old computer that used an OS called workbench. :)

If you consider Film content production, then every major film studio on the planet has a serious investment in one form of *nix or another.

ILM, Disney, Pixar, Digital Domain, Rhythm and Hues, Weta, Tippet, Sony, Dreamworks, etc. all use Linux in some form for the backbone of their production work.

I worked at a few of those places, I was at one when they transitioned from SGI IRIX to Pc's running Linux over the course of the year. Dedicated *nix went the way of the do-do in favor of Pc clones running linux.

One thing I do miss from the old Irix days was being able to "borrow" ram from 3-4 workstations and stuff them into one workstation to get 8GB of memory to push some shots through. Trying get 4+ GB of memory working on clone hardware is a pain in the ass.

That being said, different facilities use different hardware to suit their needs, I can't talk specifically about whats used at work, but some places will go for big PC vendors like IBM who will certifiy their hardware for compatibility with linux. [One place I worked had all dual xeons for artists workstations, with a few hundred blade racks for the render farm]. Another place used their own IT department to roll their own Opteron workstations. Pixar airlifts server racks into their machine room via helicopter [I can't recall if it was all sun hardware at one point for their farm, something to do about how they evaulated cpu power along with the square footage needed to house it.]

For content creation on any moderate production you are dealing with hundreds of artists, generating terabytes of data every day that needs to be sorted, backed up and tracked in a database somewhere. Good luck getting that to run on a windows or macintosh solution out of the box. its cheaper to hire dedicated linux people to help setup a pipeline to handle this.

Now things are not 100% linux, you'll still find some old SGI's kicking about.. usually inferno boxes and such, macs are sometimes used in various compositing/texture departments,sometimes you see the odd one or two windows machines here and there.

Granted this is on the high end, the smaller fx/cgi shops won't have such insane amount of overhead, so they can get away with running windows. I've seen some pretty ghetto studio setups here and there [usually 2 animators to a desk, using the cheapest dirt clone pc' running priated software] but they tend not to stay in business too long :).

The people (payroll) cost more then hardware anyways, so if your see a studio with a ghetto infrastructure... Run!

One thing I would like to see are video cards with zif sockets for their GPUs and slots for the RAM. and a Unified OS.

didn't Apple just recently announce that they are going to an x86 only platform for here on out? Pretty sure they were looking at using the A64's for that too.

Anyone else remember hearing that not too long ago?

gizo said:
But do you do a comparison of a single dual core or dual dual core? :D

Actually a dual processor Opteron at the same clock speed would be far more comparable. That would be fair. Use the same video card and drives. You also get to bring the dual dedicated memory controllers into play and they'll have the same maximum memory capacity on the motherboard. Truely put Apple's highest end workstation against AMD's equivalently clocked Opteron. That's how I would do it.

Although I have no doubt a X2 could best the G5's. With Opteron you could bring more like features and a more comparable price point into the comparison.

Mtnduey said:
didn't Apple just recently announce that they are going to an x86 only platform for here on out? Pretty sure they were looking at using the A64's for that too.

No, they will not be looking to AMD. Steve Jobs stated that they looked at several processor roadmaps from all the major processor vendors and found Intels long term plans fit into their product line and goals the best. So they will be using Intel for their x86 needs.

Wow.... this must be the thread of Misconceptions and Delusions. So much misinformation and half-truths.... Really, the only person close to getting things right was Zovreign.

Surprising what marketing and hearsay will convince you of.

starwars ep 3 was done on amd hardware i know that one for a fact

Skrying said:
The old RAM limit went out with the A64/Opteron and the new P4s with EMT64. The old ram limit was due to the AXP's and old P4s being only 32bit chips

What P4 or AMD64 boards can you buy that support more than 2GB's of RAM? Almost all MB's only support 2GB's of RAM.

almostinsane1 said:
What P4 or AMD64 boards can you buy that support more than 2GB's of RAM? Almost all MB's only support 2GB's of RAM.

Any full sized ATX mobo with 4 DIMM sockets should be able to support 4GB of ram. As long as its DDR or RDRAM. Anything older than that won't likley.

I've owned these boards and they all supported 4GB of memory.

Asus
P4B266
P4B533-E Deluxe
P4P800-Deluxe
P4C800-Deluxe
A8N-SLi Deluxe

Intel
D865PERLL
D915PBL

Abit
AA8XE

Tyan
K8WE (16GB of memory supported) :eek:

Believe me just about any Pentium 4 board that has 4 DIMM sockets can support that much. Same goes for any A64 board with 4 DIMM sockets. I don't know what boards you've been buying.

Imagine something like that for Intel... 4 Proc x 2 cores x 2 Threads = 16 threads! :eek:

makshim said:
Imagine something like that for Intel... 4 Proc x 2 cores x 2 Threads = 16 threads! :eek:

yeah no kidding

damn, hold on a sec, need to grab my portable defibulator to revive my bank account ;)

gizo said:
But do you do a comparison of a single dual core or dual dual core? :D

You do a comparison with whatever AMD computer you can build for the equivilant market price of the G5 rig. In my book, money is a signifigant comparison point.

Spectre said:
Holy Dead thread revival Batman!

Sorry my bad, I didn't notice the date, I was doing a search on a few terms and saw something I had to respond to. :D

My Brain hurts. Come on people, we all knnow that Gigahurts is the only thing that matters when it comes to seepeeyous

Mtnduey said:

They're switching to Intel processors. AMD was left out in the cold on that one. Apple needs a laptop processor more than anything, and the Pentium M was the leading candidate. (Although I sure nVidia will have an Apple-compatible chipset ready soon thereafter, the question is if Apple will choose to use it.)

Back