whats current "best" SSD on the market?

XBarbarian

[H]ard|Gawd
browsing around, googling, of course its a very subjective question. Just the same, I'm interested in opinions here.

the M4 256gb I've been using iirc 2 years now... just failed to boot. I got past it by complete power down, pulled all power, etc..let it sit. luckily it came back up

but I should look at replacing it just because.

in the 256 -500gb SSD performance / and reliability space.. what's the recommendation these days?

thank you for your input!

I still consider the M4 a proven SSD, hard to beat years of solid reliability.

Saying that, M500s and 840 Pros are today's pick of good.

I still consider the M4 a proven SSD, hard to beat years of solid reliability.

Agreed. I would investigate this drive before giving up on it. Are you sure the problem was the drive? Have you installed the latest firmware? Are there any SMART errors?

I don't recall the exact details, but make sure your not hitting the 5200 hour firmware bug.

I haven't done much investigation on the boot failure.. yet. I will. I did get back up ..

thinking about replacement .. just prophylactically.. this M4 has been absolutely solid for the 2 years of service. I did update the firmware last week.. which may be the suspect issue.. at least my first thoughts. no smart errors.. odd.

probably will get this Samsung Pro .. even if I leave it boxed for a bit...to have immediate remediation to failure on hand.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147194

thanks for the input folks...

Anything branded Samsung, Intel or Crucial is good :)

Samsung 840 Pro currently achieves the best performance on the market.

What's up with the Samsung XP941? I've seen some numbers that put their read performance over 1GB/sec but I can't find them for purchase anywhere (except Microcad which has the 512GB one for special order). They need an m.2 connector but their numbers are really compelling.

Your error seem very common with all SSDs according to a recent test I saw mentioned here somewhere. Although I haven't seen it yet with my Samsung 830, but I never shut down my computer.

browsing around, googling, of course its a very subjective question. Just the same, I'm interested in opinions here.

the M4 256gb I've been using iirc 2 years now... just failed to boot. I got past it by complete power down, pulled all power, etc..let it sit. luckily it came back up

but I should look at replacing it just because.

in the 256 -500gb SSD performance / and reliability space.. what's the recommendation these days?

thank you for your input!

try updating the firmware on your M4.. There was a bug that made the drives stop working after around 5,000 hours of on-time.

What's up with the Samsung XP941? I've seen some numbers that put their read performance over 1GB/sec but I can't find them for purchase anywhere (except Microcad which has the 512GB one for special order). They need an m.2 connector but their numbers are really compelling.

I think it's this one in the new 2013 MacBook Pro :)

Just a warning- OCZ declared bankruptcy this week and there is no warranty on them if company under.

Samsung 840pro is the best consumer based SSD atm, EVO is pretty solid if you want to save some money, we are going to enter sata express in the next 2 or 3 years, where new ssds will be out, so buy for that period of time, if i were buying right now... i would probably just go with the EVO.

Samsung 840 Pro is a great drive, I use one.
How long they will last is unknown as they havent been out long enough.
The 840 EVO which uses a lesser memory type has undergone some tough laboratory testing an passed very well.
Not quite the same as real world, but a good sign nevertheless.

I'd buy another of these and recommend them.

The highest performance SSD out there would be PCI-E SSDs. OCZ Revodrives are the most numerous of them, but it appears Asus makes one too: http://www.asus.com/Storage/RAIDR_Express_PCIe_SSD/#overview

The OCZ Revo drives had high sequential performance due to internal SATA RAID0 but not so good 4K performance due to the cheap SATA raid controllers they used. You can easily do better with a LSI MegaRaid + Fastpath + Samsung Pro or EVO.

You can easily do better with a LSI MegaRaid + Fastpath + Samsung Pro or EVO.

But for 3x the price ;)

But yes, me too don't like OCZ Revo. Cheap hardware inside that, and it's simply the storage company with the worst reputation ever.

Back